Banapiss at EI fired after hissy-fit

VKD

Banned

Tyrant

I flat out have no interest whatsoever in being part of an internet community that refuses to enforce its guidelines and fosters hate. My resignation is over 24 hours old and I'm sure an announcement will be forthcoming soon.

That certainly sounds a LOT more than stepping down as a moderator.

Quite.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
"Resignation" can have two different motivations behind it.

You can resign, and you can "resign." I've seen both, and I've certainly seen both at EI.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
His user group is now "awaiting authorization." That means his account is suspended for its own protection until he asks to come back.

Read that again: Banapis will have to ask to come back, regardless of what the announcement thread says.

On a related note: I'd love to see Digital Man turned loose on this board... assuming he's not here already.

Grandtheftcow

Grand Wizard of TK
RuReddy said:
The guy had to go.....I can't believe it took this long.
You know just as well as the rest of us that the staff have a protect your own unspoken code going on. That's why it's so difficult for them to bring new members on staff and dump the old ones who've repeatedly proven they think of the position as some sort of social status rather than just a volunteered responsibility to keep the board enjoyable for most if not all.

Ishcabittle

Is there any fun going on at EI, ever? It seems to me that most of the talking done there is hashing out the banal minutiae... I'm of course only viewing the place through TK's eyes, but honestly, where's the appeal?

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Ishcabittle said:
Is there any fun going on at EI, ever? It seems to me that most of the talking done there is hashing out the banal minutiae... I'm of course only viewing the place through TK's eyes, but honestly, where's the appeal?

Isch... here's the deal from what I've been told and what I've seen and read: you know the old saying "misery loves company?" That's it.

EI's more prominent members are survivors from the old SlipstreamBBS... a board that got royally screwed by both TK and TrekBBS. More precisely, Lisa and Christian were helming that board, and thus it became a legitimate target for TK.

When the board shut down, and there's a whole story behind that, the survivors created their own board to lick their wounds and keep their community together. EI really has nothing to do with Andromeda anymore, but the core membership comes from that fandom. Don't believe me? Go over there and talk shit about Laura Bertram... then sit back and wait for the shitstorm. :bigass:

This is why I've always seen EI as less than a BBS and more of a survivor's therapy group populated by Andromeda fans whose assholes are still sore from being fucked by Lisa.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
RobL said:
^ Everybody needs a hobby.

Mine are sloth, gluttony, and lust. What's yours?

Panda

CoyoteUgly said:
This is why I've always seen EI as less than a BBS and more of a survivor's therapy group populated by Andromeda fans whose assholes are still sore from being fucked by Lisa.

what makes it doubly sad is that Andromeda was one of the worst sci-fi shows around...

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
CoyoteUgly said:

Well hot damn... that made QOTW.

Funny, as I was typing it, I said to myself it might make the page top. Had I known for sure, I'd have worked in something racist just to piss Menty off.

Spilt milk and all that... ;)

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
CoyoteUgly said:
His user group is now "awaiting authorization." That means his account is suspended for its own protection until he asks to come back.

Read that again: Banapis will have to ask to come back, regardless of what the announcement thread says.

And... a technobabble explanation for that has been provided:

CJ_Aegis said:
Small Question LOP. Why is Banapis's Account set to "Awaiting Authorisation"? Are we now violating the rules regarding banning accounts or deleting them even when the member asks? I hope there is an innocent answer to this question otherwise there should be a really good answer why the rules are being broke.

LoP replies:

It looks like Banapis changed his email to a new (and it seems fake) email. The way I understand it, the software changes the account to "Waiting Authorization" until the new email is verified. And understand, I had not de-modded Banapis since I was under the impression that he was going to stay on until a replacement was found. His PM to me did not mention the thread in question, he basically said he did not have the time nor desire to Mod any more.

Orpheus adds:

I'd like to add that *the member* has to verify the new email account, not us. Apparently, that's a bit tough with made-up accounts, which leaves you in an indeterminate state from which the member can recover by changing your email back.

All this was well known to Banapis, because we had a thread in the Staff Lounge discussing this very topic last week and the week before. I'm a little disappointed that he decided to do this after I started the thread noting that this practice would only stir up controversy and confusion. Oh well, that was his call, and it was an informed decision. I guess the rest of you should be equally informed, so you will understand when you see this happening.

Technically, we have always required members to maintain a valid email (it's in the terms of Service, and part of the validation process), but since Rov set the policy early that we will not cancel accounts on request (and history has shown that most members requesting cancellation DO return -- they wouldn't get so mad, if they didn't care about the community), we haven't come up with a completely satisfactory solution for those who wish to leave. We can't demand that they keep their emails current in perpetuity.

Admittedly, if I were to check the server records and find that they are continuing to visit Ex Isle despite having submitted an invalid email, it might constitute a violation of our terms, but I'm not here to crack down on every dot and tittle. Though this is formally a "Board Operations" issue, I'd be interested in hearing how the members feel this should be handled.

So remember, boys and girls... if you ever get your hot little hands on someone's account over there... just change their email to something that doesn't exist and that will lock them out.

Who's got the password cracker this week?

DarthSikle

GFHH Moderator
Shit, remember we had over 100 passords for accounts? We could have caused immense chaos then.

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
"lack of time and desire"

OMG. QUICK, TO EBAY FOR EXTRA SUPPLIES OF WHITEWASH!

eloisel

Forever Empress E
This is the thing - it has been a year or two since I've been back to EI. I looked at the thread VKD posted above - it is the same people, saying the same things as they were a year or two ago. They really do need to slip that stream, find a wormhole and get out of there, something, anything to get them out of that freaking rut they've been in forever.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
eloisel said:
This is the thing - it has been a year or two since I've been back to EI. I looked at the thread VKD posted above - it is the same people, saying the same things as they were a year or two ago. They really do need to slip that stream, find a wormhole and get out of there, something, anything to get them out of that freaking rut they've been in forever.

This is an interesting point, and I'm glad you brought it up.

There are Methodist churches in my area that are so fundamentalist you have to go outside and check the sign to make sure you're not in a Baptist church.

Likewise, if you removed the dates on the posts at EI, you couldn't tell when the post was made. Everything reads like it read last year, and the year before. The place is a fucking timewarp.

Tamar_Garish

beer, I want beer
CoyoteUgly said:
So remember, boys and girls... if you ever get your hot little hands on someone's account over there... just change their email to something that doesn't exist and that will lock them out.

Who's got the password cracker this week?

Does it lock them out?

If it does, they are playing some kind of game to say this:

I'd like to add that *the member* has to verify the new email account, not us. Apparently, that's a bit tough with made-up accounts, which leaves you in an indeterminate state from which the member can recover by changing your email back.

How could someone access anything to change the e-mail back if they are locked out?

Maybe they just can't post until it's resolved? That would make more sense to me.