BARBIE

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter

Legend.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom

Why ‘Barbie’ Is Banned in Vietnam​

barbie-vietnam-margot-robbie.jpg

It’s just been announced that Barbie (one of the year’s most anticipated films), has been banned in Vietnam. The Greta Gerwig-directed film, which stars Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling as the titular Barbie and Ken, is set to premiere on July 21st. With a promising soundtrack, vibrant cinematography, and an all-star cast of characters, Barbie is shaping up to take the film world by storm. Despite it not being released yet, the film already has a huge fan following – with every trailer, clip, and promo image setting the internet ablaze with excitement. But it’s now been reported by Reuters that the film won’t see a release in Vietnam due to a scene that has been deemed offensive. It isn’t the first time a film has been barred from premiering in the country, but it’s nonetheless shocking. Here’s what you need to know about the Barbie ban.

The reason for the ban is due to a scene in which a map depicting the “nine-dash-line” is featured. The nine-dash-line is a U-shaped line that is used to illustrate the territory in the South China Sea, which both China and Vietnam claim as their own. The nine-dash-line is used in Chinese maps to designate the country’s claim over 90 percent of the sea. The line affects more than just Vietnam though. The Philippines, Indonesia, Brunei, Malaysia, and Taiwan have long been in a border debate over the sea, and are all affected by China’s claim on it. Vi Kien Thanh, head of Vietnam’s Department of Cinema was quoted speaking to the state-run newspaper Tuoi Tre saying: “We do not grant license for the American movie Barbie to release in Vietnam because it contains the offending image of the nine-dash line.” This was ultimately decided by the National Film Appraisal and Classification Board, which is responsible for the licensing and censoring of foreign movies in Vietnam.

As mentioned, Vietnam isn’t the only country affected by China’s claims on the sea, and it seems as though the Philippines may be taking similar action towards the film. Philippines Senator Francis Tolentino spoke on this: “If the invalidated nine-dash line was indeed depicted in the movie Barbie, then it is incumbent upon the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board of the Philippines to ban the same as it denigrates Philippine sovereignty.” He also added that a middle ground could be found if the studio edited out the scene, but it’s unknown whether the studio will agree.

Aquehonga

Un Banned
This "Barbie" flick has piqued my interest. I'm going to go see it on its opening day & post my non-spoiler review of it in this thread.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member

Absolute TUNE. Often finds its way onto my playlists.

The internet has memed the hell out of Oppenheimer and Barbie due to the juxtaposition of the films and their being released at the same time, but I don't think it would hurt either film if they did some official collaboration marketing for the sheer craic of it. It probably won't happen, but it would be a lot of fun and generate a ton of buzz.

359475740_816609589820777_6313627649310368093_n.jpg

CaptainWacky

Wait, are you saying there's a Barbie movie coming out!?

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom

Christian movie review site warns: 'Don’t take your daughter to Barbie'​

AA1dWm7d.img

One family-friendly Christian movie review site is discouraging readers from seeing the Barbie movie.

"WARNING: Don’t take your daughter to Barbie," Movieguide titled its report, explaining that the movie allegedly "forgets its core audience of families and children while catering to nostalgic adults and pushing lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender character stories." The movie is set to be released on July 21 and has a star-studded cast including Margot Robbie, Ryan Gosling, Will Ferrell, and more.

“Millions of families would have turned out to the theaters and purchased tickets, but instead, Mattel chose to cater to a small percentage of the population who has proven over and over to abandon the box office," one of its many articles dedicated to the film reads. "Movieguide’s 40 years of research indicate this just isn’t true, and Mattel has made a grievous mistake.”

Movieguide is a nonprofit that issues family-friendly movie ratings based on language, violence, sex, and nudity. It has yet to issue a review on the Barbie film.

Movies on the site can receive anywhere between a negative four score, which is to say a movie contains "intentional blasphemy, evil, gross immorality, and/or worldview problems" and is "to be avoided," and a positive four score which means a movie has a "biblical, usually Christian, worldview, with no questionable elements whatsoever." For example, the Sound of Freedom movie received a negative two score, which suggests "extreme caution for older teenagers and adults."

Sound of Freedom grossed over $7 million on Friday, adding to its $82 million in gross receipts making it likely to break $100 million, according to box office reports.

CaptainWacky

Sounds good.

StarMan™

Review embargo lifting today, I believe.

Partner and I discussing which of the two we'll go to (might see both, but we're happy to wait for one on streaming). She is leaning towards Oppenheimer.

I'm leaning towards Barbie.

HUH!?

CaptainWacky

Bump for anyone who's seen Barbie but can't find this thread.

Aquehonga

Un Banned
I saw "Barbie" yesterday afternoon & liked & enjoyed it. "Barbie" was groovy & amusing. And Margot Robbie was gorgeous & sexy as always.

Do I recommend others go see "Barbie"? YES!

A good number of people are doing BARBENHEIMER at the movie theater. They're seeing BOTH "Barbie" AND "OPPENHEIMER" in the same day as a double feature. Anyone here planning to do that?