Best animated show ever?

What do you think the best animated show is? And the best currently airing?

Number_6

beer, I want beer
You know, I wonder if any of the animated shows we watch today would even exist without the precedent of Wait 'Til Your Father Gets Home.

You guys remember that show?

Kerb Crawler

Closed Fist of the Badlands
^Tom Bosley!

Wow... best animated show? Damn... that's a tough one. If you're a real fan of animation, check out the Winsor McCay DVD. Fucking awesome stuff. AWE.SOME.

I cut my teeth on old Warner Bros., Fleischer cartoons (Superman, Betty Boop, Popeye, etc.), and Hanna Barbera. Fuck. There's no way I could choose. Not never ever.

Animaniacs had some of the best writing EVER, and Futurama was cancelled far too early!

I enjoyed The Venture Bros. that was on Adult Swim recently, and try not to miss Family Guy or the Simpsons. Mike Judge's contributions are appreaciated, and I try and hit all the "animation celebrations" festivals that pop up around the university when they come around.

And of course, there's always the animated feature films...

Sensory overload, man. Great question, but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Number_6 said:
You know, I wonder if any of the animated shows we watch today would even exist without the precedent of Wait 'Til Your Father Gets Home.

You guys remember that show?

Would that show have existed without The Flintstones? And is that show particularly better than any other animated program?

Buttons

Ninja Kitten
Going to have to go with Futurama simply because it wasn't afraid to try be harsh, yet remain funny. It had elaborate characters and plots.

Daystrom

m'frstthotontconinthesack
Favorite animated shows ever...?

The King of the Hill

Speed Racer

Aeon Flux

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Black Feathers said:
Number_6 said:
You know, I wonder if any of the animated shows we watch today would even exist without the precedent of Wait 'Til Your Father Gets Home. You guys remember that show?
Would that show have existed without The Flintstones? And is that show particularly better than any other animated program?
I was thinking the same thing, and yes I remember that show very well. And I would venture to say that The Flintstones WAS one of the greatest animated shows ever. It really was the first of its kind. And it really did/does make me laugh.

Other than that, I'd say Simpsons, Liquid Television (which included Aeon Flux), Animaniacs, The Pink Panther, the 60s Spiderman show, and definitely South Park.

Personal faves that weren't the "greatest": The Critic, Winky-Dink, Harvey Birdman AAL, Courageous Cat & Minute Mouse, Wacky Races

Shows I didn't watch and can't comment on: Star Trek TAS, TV Funhouse, Smurfs

Why Aeon Flux? It's not a great show. The character designs are just awful. Huge upper shoulders, tiny, veiny waist and legs, and no pants!

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
It's called an animation style. It was an interesting show!

Number_6

beer, I want beer
Harvey Birdman is fucking hillarious. As is The Venture Brothers.

I've been rewatching The Tick on ToonDisney, and forgot how much I like that, too.

Nothing like cartoons that make fun of the cartoons and comics I loved as a child.

As for mentioning Wait 'Til Your Father Gets Home over The Flintstones, I was thinking more in terms of sensibility than in terms of which cartoon made it to primetime first.

The cartoon I hate more than all others is that fucking godawful Tom Goes to the Mayor. What a stupid piece of shit that is.

Number_6 said:
The cartoon I hate more than all others is that fucking godawful Tom Goes to the Mayor. What a stupid piece of shit that is.

You don't like TGTM?!! :shock: I suppose you just don't get really great shows. :eek:

And it's not a cartoon. It's live action still images that have been digitally altered.

Number_6

beer, I want beer
Whatever. It's still stupid. I've liked other stuff Odenkirk's done, but that show is just fucking retarded.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
The old Looney Tunes were the best, but they weren't originally for TV so they don't really count.

Kerb Crawler

Closed Fist of the Badlands
I didn't realize this was being kept to strictly television animation.

Back in the day, when I had more youthful time and energy, and the luxury of pursuing these things, I could tell you the year of release and the director of pretty much any Warner Bros./Looney Tunes short within the 1st 10 seconds of watching it. (W/o looking at the credits, of course.)

Classic Warners died with the passing of Mel Blanc, and gave up the ghost once Friz and Chuck Jones died.

Tiny Tunes (for kids) and Animaniacs tried to stoke the flame in the early-to-mid 90's, but it was the Batman the Animated Series and it's subsequent off-shoots and peripheral series (Superman, Justice League, etc.) that have defined current Warner Bros. animated sensibilities.

Warner Bros. feature films haven't fared quite as well, but there was a notable exception that was sadly overlooked by most in the late '90's: The Iron Giant.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Casper Teh Friendly Ghost.