Big Gov. vs. Small Gov.

Anubis

TAFKA Chadarnook
I want a small government. I want Nixon instead of Clinton.

SSgt_Sniper

Factional Warfare
Also of note:
Under Clinton's Administration, he spent six years fighting a Republican congress that wanted to freeze the government's size and therefore allow the economy to catch up to it. He also reduced the armed forces a bit.

Under Nixon's Administration we were coming out of Vietnam, and therefore the military was shrinking.

Under Reagan's Administration, he increased the military quite a bit, and had a congress that was growing the rest of the government as well.

Under Carter, who you didn't mention, I believe things stayed roughly at par.

Under LBJ, Vietnam kicked into high gear.

Under the first Bush, things actually grew a bit, as a result of the Gulf War.

And finally, under the current Bush, two war fronts and a new security directorate (Homeland Security) were born, as a result of 9/11.

Not making any real commentary on whether all of this is good or bad, I actually have no opinion either way right now. Just adding some historical context to the numbers.

TJHairball

I love this place
SSgt_Sniper said:
Under Clinton's Administration, he spent six years fighting a Republican congress that wanted to freeze the government's size and therefore allow the economy to catch up to it. He also reduced the armed forces a bit.
Now here's the funny thing. While it is worth giving some credit to the Republican congress for balancing the budget with Clinton, it was clearly an effect borne of the combination, rather than the Congress itself. Congress has changed practically not at all, and as soon as a Republican president dropped in, they went wild with the spending.

IMO, the most important thing you can have for shrinking the government is a President and Congress at odds with each other. Practically all of them have their pet projects, but if they're all trying their hardest to strangle each others' rather than exchange favors, it works nicely. If they're trying hard to make the other guy look bad and one of them decides to play "we're hardline with balancing the budget" as a political gambit, then spending actually gets cut.

I'd like to say that we can blame Presidents in at least some part for ramping up wars - LBJ for Vietnam and Bush for Iraq - which definitely does have impact on spending, as SSgt mentions. Hawks always end up making the gov't bigger.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
I agree, President Bush has increased the government far too much. Well, let me rephrase that, President Bush doesn't do anything to effectively defeat larger government. He's admitted he rubber-stamps a lot of things that increase beauracracy. That, and the P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act are the two things I very much dislike about his Presidency.

As far as Reagan is concerned, he did end the Cold War by bankrupting the USSR. So I would say that the end result justifies an increase in Government.

WordInterrupted

Troll Kingdom Ambassador
President Bush doesn't do anything to effectively defeat larger government.

He actively promotes big government. The perscription drug benefit would never have passed if he hadn't twisted a few arms.

The Question

Eternal
WordInterrupted said:
Here's a list of the percentage increase in the size of the federal government during terms of five U.S. presidents:

LBJ: 25.2%
Nixon: -16.5%
Reagan: 11.9%
Clinton: -8.2%
Bush: 35.2%

http://www.reason.com/hitandrun/2005/10/the_latest_data.shtml#011304

If you want a small government, Clinton was a better president than either Reagan or Bush.

But Nixon was better than all of them, if we examine this subject in a vacuum, as you're obviously doing.

SSgt_Sniper

Factional Warfare
TJHairball said:
Now here's the funny thing. While it is worth giving some credit to the Republican congress for balancing the budget with Clinton, it was clearly an effect borne of the combination, rather than the Congress itself. Congress has changed practically not at all, and as soon as a Republican president dropped in, they went wild with the spending.

IMO, the most important thing you can have for shrinking the government is a President and Congress at odds with each other. Practically all of them have their pet projects, but if they're all trying their hardest to strangle each others' rather than exchange favors, it works nicely. If they're trying hard to make the other guy look bad and one of them decides to play "we're hardline with balancing the budget" as a political gambit, then spending actually gets cut.

I'd like to say that we can blame Presidents in at least some part for ramping up wars - LBJ for Vietnam and Bush for Iraq - which definitely does have impact on spending, as SSgt mentions. Hawks always end up making the gov't bigger.

Close, but no cigar. I do give you three quarters credit. The Congress did drastically overspend on the shake-up of the intel community, and on the setup of Homeland Security. Also of note, the Government had to put out close to a million dollars on the repair of the Pentagon. It may be a drop, but it's a drop that wouldn't have been there. And those drops in the bucket add up real quick.

Hawks do not increase the size of Government, as in the civilian government. They increase the size of the military, and the toys they play with do tend to eat up a lot of money just in day to day life. I'll give you an example:
During the cold war, the NATO forces would regularly conduct training exercises in Germany, presumably a front of interest in a war with the Soviet Union. During Vietnam, US forces were spread too thin to really participate, and this practice stopped. Once Vietnam ended, the US didn't resume the habit until Reagan. Reagan resumed training and field manuvers in Germany, as part of his efforts to crumble the "Evil Empire" This field ops training would destroy many farmers' fields, and other rural areas, with a DOD official following behind to discuss reparations to those land owners affected by the manuvers. In other words, some guy in a jeep with a checkbook, whose job it was to make the affected farmers happy. This made NATO training quite expensive.

Now, this kind of thing ran up the military budget, without new toys even being involved. And it didn't increase the size of the military, although it was said to be an incredible help for cross-training different troops from different countries. It was also the number four source (if I remember right) of NATO spending during Reagan's administration.

Military budgets are incorrectly (IMO) lumped into discretionary spending. I do believe a strong and well trained military is a must for our country. And if the best way to train with our European allies is to mess up some fields in Germany, then so be it. I'm rambling a bit here, so I'll bring it back to the core point where you almost got it right: Every one of these Presidents' alterations in size of discretionary spending can be directly tracked to the military and what they did with it during their time in office.

Bush I would have shrunk the government if not for the Gulf War. Instead, I believe it was a 5% increase in government spending, mostly to pay Guard and Reserve troops made active during the Gulf War. Bush II has had even more in the way of call-ups of reserve and guard, and for longer times, ignoring the 179 day rule. (Guard and Reserves called up for 179 days or less are entitled to no increase in benefits, just active pay. At the 180 day mark, they get full active duty status, including living expenses for family and an increase in health care benefits.) That alone could easily account for 90% of his increase in government spending. Find me a source willing to go on record about exactly how much of the increase in spending has nothing to do with the military, and we'll talk.

On Clinton Vs. Congress: The government shutdown that the Republicans basically forced by refusing to accept "Bubba's" demands is what caused the budget to balance a couple of years later, although no one caught it at the time.
The shutdown of the goverment in 1995 caused fiscal year 1995 to go into the books with only 9 1/2 months of actual spending. Now, the "baseline" budgeting method uses the last year's budget plus 4% to figure next year's budget. OMB did not account for the two and a half months of shutdown: they'd never had to think about that before. This resulted in an accidental large scale cut in the next years' budget that The White House didn't catch, and the Congress didn't notice until most of the Budget was already passed. The Republicans who finally figured out something seemed to be off and found out what had occured chose to keep their mouth shut until almost six months after they figured it out, and Clinton's administration chose to keep it quiet once they were told because they were afraid of looking like idiots. Thus the budget balanced almost on accident. (Sad isn't it?)

I'll stop here, as I have gone on for a while at this point. Take the time to read this post twice and really think about the implications of what I am saying, and we can discuss any questions you have over the next couple of days. :)

SSgt_Sniper

Factional Warfare
I didn't say it balanced in 1995. I said the reductions in the baseline budgeting caused by the shutdowns caused it to balance a few years later. This is why I said read it twice.

Your link is dead, too.

SSgt_Sniper

Factional Warfare
Well, your link works now, must have exceeded bandwidth. As I look at this, it tells me in totla government size, meaning everything, LBJ was the worst. Bush II hasn't yet gotten close. He grew HUD (actually I think he created HUD) by four thousand percent. He increased the education budget a lot, that's cool with me, because I believe a lot of that money was to help rural schools build better infrastructure. That's a good cause, so I am not bothered by it in the least.

As I look at Bush II, his numbers seem to stem from three source that I can see. (Non-military of course) Education, which I always see as a good goal. He's made several programs to try to fix some breakdowns in the system, and I hope it works long term, we shall see. VA, which is semi military, I know, but it doesn't figure in the military budget. The VA was crumbling; this is a vital system we need to help those injured in the line. And State department, which is where part of the Intelligence budget is buried. Of course, the other part of it is buried in military, and then there is some of the intel budget that is completely black. Meaning we don't know about it at all. I believe I said that the intel shake up and the two wars would be his biggest expenditures, well, I was happily wrong. Education was the biggest. But the others definitely rank. As I figured.

:)