Blame criminals, not the guns that stop them

Tyrant

Economist Lawrence Southwick Jr., in his 1999 paper, "Guns and Justifiable Homicide: Deterrence and Defense," said 800,000 to two million violent crimes were prevented each year as a result of gun ownership and use by civilians.

In addition, armed civilians stop 1.5 million to 2.5 million crimes. This clearly demonstrates that the Second Amendment provides citizens with a means to protect themselves against violence.

Measures that prevent law-abiding citizens from exercising their Second Amendment rights will only empower criminals and increase the vulnerability of law-abiding citizens.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/states/pennsylvania/16431363.htm

A lot of statistics concerning gun ownership and violent crime are backwards - people purchase guns to protect themselves in already violent areas.

And gun death statistics arguing for gun control rarely mention what percentage of those deaths were in self-defense.

But I'm open to anything.

The Question

Eternal
"Gun control" has one, and only one, objective: to foster and reinforce dependence on the state.

Cranky Bastard

None of my guns ever killed anyone, neither have they banded together in a lobbying group to convince me to do so.