Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BP Oil Mess

Anyone else watch Gasland on HBO last night? If you don't have HBO, find a way to watch it, srsly. The oil and gas industry aren't bound by the Clean Water Act, the EPA can't really do anything about them because of the "Halliburton loophole". This documentary isn't about the oil spill in the gulf, but it kinda makes it all come together. This is what deregulation of the oil and gas industry brings about.. people are suffering and the industry denies their responsibility. If the spill in the gulf wasn't such a massive visible disaster, it too would have been swept under the rug and downplayed. None of the govt agencies are working on the side of the people. Shit.. I'm sounding like a tree hugging hippie, but this is bullshit. People who live near these big natural gas deposits can't drink their water anymore because it CATCHES ON FIRE. Hydraulic fracturing should be its own topic, but it's all related.

http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/
http://video.pbs.org/video/1452296560/

Of all the awful pics coming out of the gulf, for someone with a lifelong love of bodysurfing, this one nauseated me the most:

86102561126801332479.jpg

They had better really get the move on to get that mess clean up fast. Hurricane season is right around the corner. If they wait too long and allow another Hurricane Katrina to come roaring through there, they are REALLY gonna have a mess on their hands :eek:

The good news is there are jobs paying $1000 a week plus room and board to clean up the beaches and the jobs are expected to be needed for at least two years.

If I were a young man or woman who didn't have a career they couldn't take that kind of time off from or children that were relying on me for their daily bread, I'd go there and do that job. It is a good thing to do and it pays fairly decent - could stick a lot of money in the bank.

Is he just now coming forward? How long has he had these things?! Either way I am happy, it sounds like the best plan yet. No, I am not happy, its still a big fucked up situation.

I read about him coming forward about it early on.

They had better really get the move on to get that mess clean up fast. Hurricane season is right around the corner. If they wait too long and allow another Hurricane Katrina to come roaring through there, they are REALLY gonna have a mess on their hands :eek:

One doesn't allow a hurricane to come through. They come and go as they please. Ask George about that. Speaking of which, I wonder if Obama has done something about protecting the coast from hurricanes.

Would it be more appropriate for me to refer to the "cap" as a diaphragm or a diva cup?

I know of people down here who went to work cleaning up the mess and are already sick.

The oil fumes and toxic chemicals, I imagine. People who go to do clean up like that aren't allergic to work ;)

The oil fumes and toxic chemicals, I imagine. People who go to do clean up like that aren't allergic to work ;)

No kidding. That has got to be some messy, unpleasant, hard work. I meant is there some process in the work that is making them ill.

I've not really read much on the situation - just skimmed headlines, some cutlines, and heard a bit here and there. I have to remember that there is nothing I can do about this situation. I don't have the money or the resources to do anything about it. I don't have the clout to force people to do anything about it. What little I know of it already makes me sick to my stomach. I support Obama in lowering the boom on those people. I don't understand why Barton apologized to BP. I don't understand why this disaster has been out of control for more than two months. Offshore drilling is nothing new.

I wonder if the workers are sick, too, from depression over the enormity of the situation and the awfulness of dealing on a daily basis with the damage to the wildlife. I don't think I could take it.

I've been watching Anderson Cooper 360 lately because he's been broadcasting from Louisiana and reporting on the oil mess since it started (I don't usually watch him that often). Apparently there are lots of people suffering from mental problems due to all this. One fishing boat captain shot himself in the head. Someone on his show said there are a lot more reports of domestic violence and that there are more people experiencing depression. I don't know if that is all true, but it makes sense, especially among the people who make their living in the Gulf.

I think there might be a combination of things that could cause people to become physically sick. The heat would definitely come into play, since they have to wear all that protective clothing (and it is hot as hell this year). Also, breathing methane and benzene is probably not good for you. There are mammals who don't appear to have come into direct contact with any of the oil, but are washing up on shore dead or dying. That is something to be concerned about, since we're mammals too!

BP needs to be fired and the US needs to let the other countries (at least some of them) who have asked to help, help us. The Jones Act can be temporarily suspended, or just suspended in this case, if other countries have the technology and are willing to help clean this mess up. BP has done everything it can to hide how much oil is gushing into the gulf.. I don't even care if they are criminally prosecuted, they should be barred from operating in the US ever again.

*ROTFLMAO @ Americans screaming at BP, when they are themselves the guiltiest of such atrocities* Does Exxon Valdez ring a bell, you dumb fucks? Oh, but the US can do no wrong. Tch, tch. Shut the fuck up you disgusting hypocritical motherfucking Yanks!

You suggest BP should be barred from operating in the US ever again. Well, I believe the US should be barred from ever operating in Canada again. Fuck, I believe we should stop selling you motherfuckers our oil, and sell it all to China and India.

I know of people down here who went to work cleaning up the mess and are already sick.

Sadly enough, I am certain a large number of them are CANADIAN, since we are the best in the world when it comes to the oil industry. WE cleaned up your fuckup in the Gulf War.