British TV is fun!

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Yes, I know, it isn't anything new over here. But, I'm just now watching an episode of MI-5. This is marvelous.

They say "appreciate" with the ci pronounced "c" (a-pree-c-ate)
instead of as "she" (a-pree-she-ate).

And, they are talking about Liechtenstein banking and international secrecy laws. I just love it that there is money in Liechtenstein. There must be shopping, hotels, and bakeries. Let's go!

eloisel

Forever Empress E
I can't watch Jerry Springer. On those occasions I'm at home on a week day and just happen to turn on the TV, it surprises me that show is still on. It is like the worst personas of TK on 9 hits of acid each and tied to a cactus while people with electric cattle prods urge them to spazz out or get shocked. "On the cactus it impales its skin or else it gets the electric cattle prod again."

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Aaaah, this is "Spooks" in the UK, and is a good fun show.

You have "pursed lip woman" (Hermione Norris) in the more recent incarnations. A woman who exists on tow facial expressions for a career. But we forget how long it has been running so not sure which one you are watching.

Standard show goes like this:

Old Boss Man
I am going to meet my opposite number in Russia / Libya / shaskdhks_astan on a rooftop in London as that does not look suspicious at all

Old Woman who should have retired, but keeps on shagging Old Boss Man
I should really retire, but then I shoot someone, feel bad about it yet I save the day and therefore stay another episode *looks wistful*

Young Buck Man
I may work for MI5, but I have a heart. This episode I will run about a lot and scream at people, at some point I may have a bomb that needs to be got rid of. Suddenly I will deduce that Young Intern Girl is stuck / trapped somewhere and may have to run off and rescue her suddenly, even though MEMBERS OF PUBLIC are in danger.

Pursed Lip Woman
I have no need for Men, I am a spy machine, although Young Buck Man can tear my pants off with his teeth if he wants to. I will be high kicking an Arab in this episode, yet will work out he is in fact working for an Israeli, using my SUPERIOR INTELLIGENCE. I may purse my lips a lot.

Young Intern Girl
I am steely eyed and ambitious, yet always get caught and tied up. Luckily Young Buck Man seems to know where I am. I may have sex with him, but this mustn't affect MY CAREER!

Other guy
I run about a lot behind Young Buck Man and Pursed Lip Woman I always seem to have a secret (gay, addicted to snuff or something to do with Eastern Europe) Normally I am a black man.

I can do the plot lines as well, but that is kind of the icing on the cake.

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
lol, for some reason I read CI-5 and thought you meant The Professionals.
I couldn't for the life of me figure out why Bodie and Doyle would have talked about the secrecy laws of Liechtenstein... ;)

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
Yes, I know, it isn't anything new over here. But, I'm just now watching an episode of MI-5. This is marvelous.

They say "appreciate" with the ci pronounced "c" (a-pree-c-ate)
instead of as "she" (a-pree-she-ate).

And, they are talking about Liechtenstein banking and international secrecy laws. I just love it that there is money in Liechtenstein. There must be shopping, hotels, and bakeries. Let's go!

I say "'she", and so do many, many others I've encountered. In fact, few people say a-pree-c-ate. If they do, they're being pretentious.

If you're wondering, here's some proof. Forward it to about 0:36

[youtube]TU7JjJJZi1Q[/youtube]

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Ahh, good times. I remember when that was new.

Friday

Bazinga!
Don't you blimeys say "WeekEND", with the emphasis on END?

That stuff just ain't natural. ;)

As for British TV--Peep Show FTW! :D

Friday

Bazinga!
Seriously? Then why do I always hear it on those Brit TV shows like AbFab? Is it a dialect thing? A region thing? Or are we just being LIED to in the States as payback for that whole independence thing?

Mirah

I love you
I know I have asked this somewhere....
But how do you say "Groceries"?
do you say the "C" as in /sir/ or /shur/?

*Edit: You being anyone.

Last edited:

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Shut up