Caitlin Clark Make a MONKEY out of the NBA with her 28M$$$$$ Nike deal

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
c9791a98-4a0b-4b9d-bcf3-15d7cfd1b2cb.jpeg

After all the hubbub of last week’s WNBA draft subsided, that’s when the online outrage started. Plenty of people were noting what the WNBA’s bright new stars were about to get paid. Take Caitlin Clark, the darling of March Madness. Her starting salary is about $76,000. “Teacher salary for a superstar is wild,” wrote one commenter. “She would be better off working a 9 to 5,” wrote another. Even President Joe Biden weighed in, taking to twitter to opine that “even if you’re the best, women are not paid their fair share.” All of this professed shock, it almost made sportswriter Lindsay Gibbs laugh.

“A lot of these [viewers] are coming to the WNBA for the first time. So it’s the first time they’re realizing how few roster spots there are, how the salary structure works,” she said. “It became a way to make a mockery out of this league that these players have been putting their blood, sweat, and tears into for 25 years. Even though these players are getting paid too little, this was still a dream come true moment for all of them. But even though I don’t like where the conversation is going, ultimately, it’s a good thing that more people are becoming aware of this and that more people are outraged by it and that there’s going to be more pressure on the league, on the owners, and on the partners of the WNBA to fix this, to get the salaries up.”

On Monday’s episode of What Next, we spoke about what’s been missing from the debate about salaries in the WNBA. And why it will take more than one superstar to fix the league. Our conversation has been condensed and edited for clarity.

Mary Harris: Let’s lay out the dollars and cents of the WNBA draft. We can talk about Caitlin Clark just because she was the No. 1 pick. Her four-year contract is going to be worth $338,000. But you compare that to the guy who was the No. 1 draft pick for the NBA in 2023. His four-year contract is worth $55 million. It’s a breathtaking disparity. Is it fair of me to make that comparison though?

It’s a good starting point for the discussion, but there’s a lot more nuance to it than that. Of course, the NBA has been around for 50 years longer. The NBA has turned itself into a money-printing machine. But, it’s good because when you look at the ratings and team valuations, you see there’s not necessarily 150 times more interest in the NBA than the WNBA, right? Maybe it’s 10 or 12 times more. But the difference in salaries is so exaggerated that it points out that this isn’t just one form of sexism that’s playing into this. It’s compounded discrimination that’s happened over decades.

jack

Caitlin Clark's college GPA emerges as Indiana Fever star makes decision on Iowa degree​

Caitlin Clark will return to Iowa as a student, intending to finish her degree and graduate. And it appears she's on track to complete her education with an impressive GPA after her grades were recently revealed. One of the top college basketball prospects to ever enter the WNBA, the Indiana Fever were the lucky team to land the first overall pick with a generational talent such as Clark available for selection.

Clark had a decision to make last season, with another year of eligibility open to her where she could have broken further college basketball records before undoubtedly being the first pick in the 2025 WNBA Draft.

However, Clark decided to make the step up this year, leaving behind what was a legendary career with her alma mater. Clark still intends to return to the school to finish her learning, though.

In her introductory press conference with the Indiana Fever, Clark said: "I would love to be on the Olympic team, and be in Paris. But that’s not up to me. I actually still need to earn my degree, too; I need to graduate college first, or else my mom might kill me."

This past week, Clark was named the 2023-24 Academic All-America Team Member of the Year - marking the second consecutive year that she had been named to the list.
A graphic from the academy revealed that Clark, a marketing major, boasts an impressive 3.64 GPA.

While Clark will continue to study to graduate as a marketing major, she will also prepare to begin her WNBA career. The regular season will begin on May 14.

Clark joins the Fever off the back of an incredible senior year as a Hawkeye, smashing a multitude of records and amassing the most points ever scored in both men's and women's college basketball - averaging 31.6 points in her final year while registering 8.9 assists and 7.6 rebounds.

After being drafted, Clark told reporters: "This is a dream, this is something I wrote down on a piece of paper when I was in, like, second grade. Get a basketball scholarship. Play in the WNBA. This is something I've always wanted to do."

The Fever will look to Clark to transform their fortunes after they won just 21 games in their last two seasons before acquiring the Iowa superstar.

Clark has opened up as the fourth favorite to win the WNBA's MVP award in her rookie season, behind A'ja Wilson, Breanna Stewart and Alyssa Thomas.

jack