Calling Duncan Idaho: Question about your Avatar

starguard

Unluckiest Charm in the Box
Your avatar is from a movie I watched back in the 90's that I've seen only once, but can't remember what it was called. What was the name of this movie?

Does anyone here in TK recognise this and remember?

Dual

RIP Karl 1991-2014
Judging by his name, that's probably a Spacing Guild navigator from the Dune series. I haven't seen the movie or miniseries in ages, so I don't know what specifically that imagine is from.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
That's a painting representing a scene from Lynch's Dune... released in 1984. The creature depicted is a Guild navigator addressing the Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV.

Lilac

Luci ain't got nothin' on me.
What CU said. I've never bothered watching the theatrical version, so I don't know if that scene was in that version; it was in the full-length Director's Cut.

Charlemagne

Holy Roman Emperor
Wait, weren't navigators supposed to be human, and not some human-sandworm hybrid?

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Wait, weren't navigators supposed to be human, and not some human-sandworm hybrid?

The guild navigators, through extensive use of the spice over centuries, have mutated into another form. They're still technically human though.

As far as a human-sandworm hybrid goes, you're thinking of Leto II.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Lynch had some weird ideas about Dune.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Lynch has some weird ideas, period.

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
Lynch had some weird ideas about Dune.
They weren't necessarily bad ones. I blame the largely fumbled execution of his vision than the vision itself.

The thing that threw me the most was his transmogrifying the "weirding way" into the "weirding modules". I can see the logic of it now --can you imagine how fucking difficult it would've been to translate an only vaguely outlined, futuristic, esoteric method of fighting to the big screen? To demonstrate how it could have threatened the Emperor? Easier & visually cooler to just give them a technological advantage: a new sound-based weapon. And I frankly enjoyed watching them blow shit up --the scene where Paul trains the Fedaykin, where they shatter the obelisk and his name becomes "a killing word" is a favorite.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
The Weirding Way was really just super kung fu. Using Weirding Modules kinda takes away from the awesomeness of the BG. Also PUGS and rain and floating Barons, oh my!.. argh. I was disgusted at the end when it rained. Lynch's Dune was so camp, reminds me of Flash Gordon.

But, I can understand how difficult it must be to translate Dune into a film. I don't know of a good way for them to get the ideas in Dune out of the character's heads and onto the screen. I don't hold out much hope for the next Dune film, especially since KJA and Bobo Herbert are running the show.

Coyote Ugly

Full Frontal Nudity
About the weirding modules:

Lynch is on record that the whole political aspect with the Emperor wanting Leto out of the way was a little too complicated, so he molded it down into a technological reason. I personally think he should have went with the story line, but... Dune, like Solaris, is a book that damn near can't be filmed accurately and keep the original flavor.

I like Lynch's version because it's not boring, it's freaky (like most of his stuff), and I still lust for Sean Young.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
What's complicated about wanting power?

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
What's complicated about wanting power?

The subplot from the novel.

1) Shaddam IV has the Sadaukar troops trained on Salusa Secondus. He uses these as a counter balance against the Landsraad.

2) Leto, through the skills of Gurney and Duncan, is training his troops to be on par with the Sadaukar.

3) Shaddam is afraid Leto is plotting a coup against the Throne. Given that Leto is extremely popular in the Landsraad, this is a possibility.

4) Shaddam uses the rivalry between Leto and Baron Harknonnen to eliminate his problem.

Lynch culls it down by simply saying Leto has a new weapon and he could be a threat to Shaddam's rule, so he uses the rivalry between the two houses to his advantage.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
What you just described isn't complicated. Dune is a political novel, erasing all that and making it about "pew pew pew" cool weapons cheapens it. If you can describe the subplot in a just a few sentences, then what kept Lynch from simplifying the politics down to a single issue and going from there? The Baron was desperate for power and status, making him an easy pawn. Fearing that Leto will make a run for the throne is enough reason for Shaddam to want him eliminated, so the need for a new weapon to drive the plot just doesn't seem to exist.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Hey I didn't write the script for Dune, I'm just going on what Lynch once said. He felt the original angle was too complicated, so he went with the weirding modules. I'm not crazy about it either.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Dune is serious shit, bitch, so back up.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I keep hoping Duncan Idaho will show up and join the nerd fest. I wonder if he's an OH.