Cassie - Sci Fi Reading list please

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Ancillary Justice was absolutely excellent in my opinion. I am now reading Ancillary Sword and also enjoying it.

It reminds me a lot of Iain M Banks Culture novels, or even (dare I say it) Ursula Le Guin.

The references to both the Roman and British empire (Citizen and tea drinking respectively) are excellent and the use of a AI in a human body is refreshing. I really loved how Breq is taken with human gestures and the fact the stories are "small" within a large universe / problem. Ancillary Sword is really about some local politics on a tea producing planet - very Banks indeed.

The novel it reminds me of most is "Grass" by (guess - Tepper?) which is also about culture of an alien / sort of human race.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I love Sheri S. Tepper, Grass was one of her best.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
You've convinced me to add Grass to my reading list, at least.

I'm currently reading Asimov's Complete Robot. I keep meaning to read something brand new (like the latest in The Expanse series), but I've so many old, free ones it seems like it'd be lunacy to spend money on anything.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I just couldn't understand what was happened in Ancillary Justice for so long that by the time I did it was too late? Or something.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I decided to read The Dispossessed again. Ursula K. Le Guin is so good. I always pick up something I missed before. I'M GONNA BE A COMMUNIST, IMO.

CaptainWacky

I got another 700 page Brandon Sanderson book because it was the Kindle Daily Deal. Of coure it's the first in a trilogy so I'll have to buy the other two and there's other books set in the same universe that I'll end up getting too. I ALWAYS FALL FOR IT.

But I do like reading these really long epic fantasy things.

I've been reading wrestling related books recently, sorry.

I've read the first two of the Farseer trilogy. They're quite good.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Has anyone read any Larry Niven books other than Ringworld?

I read an excellent end of the world romance short story by him the other day and I'd like to read more.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I think I've only read Ringworld.

CaptainWacky

Haven't read any.

I finished the Farseer trilogy a while ago. Finished the first Mistborn (Brandon Sanderson) book and just got the next two. But I also got the fifth Expanse novel so I'll read that first.

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
His 70s stuff is "it's all right"-tier genre fiction with a few interesting ideas.

I haven't read anything he's written in the past 30 years, though.

CaptainWacky

Has anyone else (Fuddlemiff) read the fifth Expanse book yet?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Nope. I've only read the first three, plus The Butcher of Anderson Station. The fourth one had such bad reviews I just read other stuff instead, but I'm planning to read it next.

CaptainWacky

I can't remember what even happened in the fourth one. Was the third one the one with Clarissa? The fifth one has many of the same problems as the other books but I won't go into specifics...

CaptainWacky

I'm reading the fifth Laundry book because I forgot to read it before, then I'll read the sixth (and I think the seventh is out soon.)

CaptainWacky

I'm reading The Abyss Beyond Dreams by Peter F. Hamilton. ANYONE ELSE HERE READING ANYTHING?

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
I've just reread Emphyrio by Jack Vance and the most excellent Hyperion Omnibus by Dan Simmons. The latter is in my top 10 Sci Fi books of all time - just excellent.

CaptainWacky

I read Hyperion a while ago.

CASSIE USED TO READ BOOKS AND TELL ME TO READ BOOKS.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I am on the internet too much now :mad:

Also, the fricking used book store in town has weird hours. Like you will go during normal business hours and it will say closed until Saturday on the door or some shit.

Also also I enjoyed Hyperion.

CaptainWacky

You can steal books from the internet! (Or buy them legally.)