DC Starbucks strikes a blow against cisnormative society

SAUSAGEMAN

Starting Monday, local Starbucks locations will begin swapping out the "Men's" and "Women's" bathroom signs on each of the coffee chain's restroom facilities inside the District of Columbia. Within a month, all 52 of D.C.'s Starbucks single-stall bathrooms will be gender-neutral.

The switch comes after campaigning efforts by local LGBT groups the DC Trans Coalition and the DC Center, who are pushing all local businesses to comply with a little-known regulation in D.C. law ensuring that all public restrooms are equally accessible to transgender and gender-nonconforming people.

In 2006, the D.C. Human Rights Act was amended to include gender identity as a protected class under the law. Nearly four years ago, the D.C. Council passed regulations ensuring that public accommodations—including public restrooms—were truly equally accessible to trans people. According to the law, District businesses must "allow individuals the right to use gender-specific restrooms and other gender-specific facilities such as dressing rooms, homeless shelters, and group homes that are consistent with their gender identity or expression."

Laws like this one are necessary for keeping trans people safe while engaging in the most basic of human activities. In a 2009 survey conducted by the DC Trans Coalition, 68 percent of local transgender and gender-nonconforming residents reported being "denied access to, verbally harassed in, and/or physically assaulted in public bathrooms."

But these laws can also be difficult to enforce; they require a trans person to be harassed for using a bathroom, prove that the harassment was based on their gender identity, and then pursue a complaint with D.C.'s Office of Human Rights. So D.C.'s law includes a helpful short-cut: Businesses equipped with single-stall facilities must forgo gender-specific signage altogether, instead using "gender-neutral signage" that makes restrooms available to people regardless of gender—for example, "replacing signs that indicate 'Men' and 'Women' with signs that say 'Restroom.'" Enforcement is as easy as opening an establishment's door.

And yet, "ladies" and "gentlemen" signs on single-occupancy restrooms proliferate across the District. So last year, the DC Trans Coalition launched a campaign to encourage local businesses to actually comply with this law. The DC Center joined suit in August of this year with its Bathroom Access Project. By September, the project had visited 50 local establishments. Thirty-three of them weren't complying with the D.C. law, and 26 of those were reported to D.C.'s Office of Human Rights. Of the 25 establishments that the Office of Human Rights contacted about the violation, only nine establishments changed their signs as a result of that complaint.

So Starbucks' 52-restroom-change is a boon for the project, which has gained momentum among LGBT activist but has struggled for traction among local businesses. In a press release, OHR called the change "a significant step forward for individuals whose identity or behavior differs from stereotypical or traditional gender expectations." OHR Director Gustavo Velasquez added that Starbucks' example should send a message to "the entire business community to learn more about their responsibilities under the Human Rights Act and to become compliant if they have not already done so."

Yay!

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
Um, ok. My response is 'so what?' As long as I can still take a gigantic toilet clogging dump, why the fuck should I care what's on the door?

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
This is great for trans people and all but how many times are Starbucks going to be sued when someone decides it would be fun to stand over the stall and watch the women taking a piss?

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
Makes no sense.

If you you are a lesbian use the chicks bathroom.

Gay, use the men's room.

Transgender, use either.

Why do you have to remove my sex to validate yours?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Why do toilet cubicles always have big gaps at the top and bottom anyway (or in LAX, big gaps either side of the fucking doors)?

SAUSAGEMAN

Tomtrek, single-stall bathrooms!
Makes no sense.

If you you are a lesbian use the chicks bathroom.

Gay, use the men's room.

Transgender, use either.

Why do you have to remove my sex to validate yours?

I know you're using that metaphorically, but it's actually item number 8 on the Gay Agenda: Forcibly remove everybody's genitals and abolish the concept of gender.

e: oh, look, this is currently the number 2 result for "cirnormative" on google.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Lafeel's gonna be so happy hir can go to the loo in Starbucks now without offending anyone!

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
DEATH TO THE STARBUCKS OPPOSITION!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
DR DAVE LIKES THE URINALS!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I like single stall bathrooms, NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU TOOT.