Did Spock Pass Up a Promotion to Serve With Kirk?

Gonad

DON'T FUCK WITH MY TITLE BITCH
Did he? In the new movie? At the end we see Pike promoted to Admiral, and Kirk promoted to Captain, but no promotion for Spock? That doesn't make any sense, unless he passed it up to serve with Kirk. Which also didn't make a ton of sense. Sure they didn't hate eachother at the end of their Nero adventure but I didn't see any particular bonding either. Maybe it has to do with a deleted scene of old Spock telling young Spock that he needs to stick with Kirk.

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
I too thought it rather odd, but the latter explanation seems the most likely.
UH OH LEAP IN LOGIC FOR STORY CONTINUITY

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
You do realize that in TOS Kirk knew his dad and joined starfleet to follow in his footsteps, right? That this new direction Trek is taking is now in an altered timeline due to the romulan interference. They threw away decades of Trek canon and lore to escape it's crushing weight and stifling their writing, so they could create a new generation of Trekkers. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Mixed bag.

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
You do realize that in TOS Kirk knew his dad and joined starfleet to follow in his footsteps, right? That this new direction Trek is taking is now in an altered timeline due to the romulan interference. They threw away decades of Trek canon and lore to escape it's crushing weight and stifling their writing, so they could create a new generation of Trekkers. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Mixed bag.

I'll admit, at first I was uncertain how I felt about with when I first heard of it. But now, I really feel they went in the right direction.

Gonad

DON'T FUCK WITH MY TITLE BITCH
Yeah. Roddenberry is dead, Conchaga. Would it really have made you happier if they screwed with the main continuity stuff even further? They messed up enough as it is in this one. That's what decades of canon and lore do; exactly what you said: stifle. Think of this as a sort of Star Trek: Infinities. (In case you don't know there was a Star Wars: Infinities comic book line where they played around with all sorts of what-if ideas.)

whisky

Boobie inspector
In STII Spock states he only accepted Captaincy of the enteprise because it was a training vessle, as soon as it was needed in action he let Kirk take over.

He simply isnt interested in being the captain, at least in the other universe, I assume that much at least he has in common with the new version

Kyehlar

You Fox Eared Asshole!
I do like how it explained why Spock never took the Kobayashi Maru test. Why take the test when you're the one who developed it in the first place. :)

curiousa2z

wow! RommieSG! Long time...what brings you to our little cell block? slummin'? :)

Sarek

Vuhlkansu Wihs

And the good news is.....

SPOCK'S BRAIN didn't happen!

Kyehlar

You Fox Eared Asshole!
And the good news is.....

SPOCK'S BRAIN didn't happen!

Not yet anyway. ;)

I'd like to know whether 'Future Spock' tells Starfleet about things that he knows of. Like the Botany Bay drifting in space, the Organians...I mean there's a lot of plot-holes that can be filled up here.

whisky

Boobie inspector
It would be funny if the opening montage of the next star trek film was the crew zipping through space solving most of the major stuff from the original series in a couple of seconds with original Spock's inside information.

curiousa2z

lol - it would be fun, but they prolly wont bother. The first ep was the preamble; the characters have been set up, the premise of the alternate time line's established - now to get on with the new stories.

The King is dead! Long live the King!

Aquehonga

Un Banned
You're probably better off not thinking about it top much:)

At the end of STIV, Kirk's demoted to captain, yet Spock's still captain rankwise.

So in STV, you technically have 2 captains on the 1701-A.

But so what:)

You do have a good point though:)

I don't agree with how nuPike became wheelchairbound.

I loved Delta Vega:) Reminiscent of Hoth & Rura Penthe:techman: Plus OleSpock's there:)

Kyehlar

You Fox Eared Asshole!
I think it fit with Pike becoming wheelchair bound. At least he's not an invalid like he was in 'The Menagerie'. And I like how he jumped to Admiral. Totally skipping Commodore, so that much has been changed.

whisky

Boobie inspector
You're probably better off not thinking about it top much:)

At the end of STIV, Kirk's demoted to captain, yet Spock's still captain rankwise.

So in STV, you technically have 2 captains on the 1701-A.

Four captains actually, Sulu was already a captain by STII, who was meant to get the captaincy of the excelsior, until he got caught up in the mutara incident, and Scotty was made captain of engineering of the excelisor in STIII which is how he was able to sabotage the engines.

Kyehlar

You Fox Eared Asshole!
Four captains actually, Sulu was already a captain by STII, who was meant to get the captaincy of the excelsior, until he got caught up in the mutara incident,
That was the original plan, but things changed. If you remember Star Trek V, and why should anyone, when Sulu answered his communicator on shore leave, he answered as 'Commander Sulu'.

Scotty was made captain of engineering of the excelisor in STIII which is how he was able to sabotage the engines.
Just a fancy way of saying 'Chief Engineer'. His rank was still Lt. Commander, as that's the rank he gave when ordering the Self-Destruct later in the film.

Aquehonga

Un Banned
Only using SPOILER code in case there are people who haven't seen nuTrek 2.0 yet.

Been thinking. In a way, Spock Prime is to nuTrek 2.0's timeline/universe what the USS Defiant NCC-1764 from "The Tholian Web" is to the MU in the 2150's {ENT's IAMD}. nuKirk, Spock 2.0 & friends should use Spock Prime's knowledge of people, places & things to their advantage. To say the least.

Originally Pike Prime was rendered mute & wheelchair bound saving kids from a fire or disaster of some type.

What about Drs Boyce, Piper, Pike's Number One, & others:phpquestion:

Vena's still stuck on Talos IV I'm sure unless Nero's destroying the Kelvin somehow prevented the S.S. Columbia from exploring the Talos star group:confused:

Captain America

Sentinel of Liberty
Just a fancy way of saying 'Chief Engineer'. His rank was still Lt. Commander, as that's the rank he gave when ordering the Self-Destruct later in the film.

Just to prove how much of an incredible geek I am before going to bed, I present this visual evidence which disproves your argument. Both images are from Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.

The top image is from the scene in which Scotty is made captain of Engineering by the admiral. The second image is from the scene wherein Scotty and Captain Douchebag (Styles) are in the turbolift together.