Did the Beatles have even ONE song that was any good?

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
pssst, Clinton was never convicted

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
is that generically addressed, or a "to your taste" directed to someone specifically?

Laker_Girl

Mrs. Big Dick McGee
I've listened to many a Beatles' tune in my time and perhaps it's because I wasn't alive when they were being "revolutionary" but there's nothing revolutionary about their music today. It's sad and boring how people still worship them and Beatles fans are no better than Elvis fans. They're dead and gone, get over it.

Let's all keep things in perspective kids, we're talking about totally self involved and self important musicians, the Beatles are not akin to Nelson Mandela for shit's sake.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Laker_Girl said:
I've listened to many a Beatles' tune in my time and perhaps it's because I wasn't alive when they were being "revolutionary" but there's nothing revolutionary about their music today. It's sad and boring how people still worship them and Beatles fans are no better than Elvis fans. They're dead and gone, get over it.

Let's all keep things in perspective kids, we're talking about totally self involved and self important musicians, the Beatles are not akin to Nelson Mandela for shit's sake.

It's not revolutionary today, because todays music was shaped by the revolution of their music.

God, how shortsighted can you be? I know the jealousy abounds at what you missed, but try to keep up.

Kerb Crawler

Closed Fist of the Badlands
Laker_Girl said:
Let's all keep things in perspective kids, we're talking about totally self involved and self important musicians

I love being an artist; it's the freedom and the tapping into something greater than yourself. Oh, and the groupies aren't half bad, too.

C

Cloudy

I've listened to many a Beatles' tune in my time and perhaps it's because I wasn't alive when they were being "revolutionary" but there's nothing revolutionary about their music today.

I think a lot of their music is still revolutionary - yes, some of it's dated, but when you think of the vapidness of today's music scene.... :roll:

yep, they were just musicians...

proteon

Bungie Retard
One of my best friends grew up having the Beatles rammed down his throat and to this day he can only clap on the 1 and 3 count.

Shatna

SOINT PLUT!
They made great music, some of the greatest music ever. Anything else that's said about them is superfluous crapola.

Lennon could outplay Mandela any day of the week!

Kerb Crawler

What are Menty's thoughts on Lennon and the Beatles? Gagh? English Rose? Wacky?

Caitriona

Something Wicked
Kerb Crawler said:
Just listened to Revolver this morning.

"Tomorrow Never Knows," gents. Awesome.

I think "Revolver" was absolutely the best Beatles album produced.

As to them being dated, meh.

You have to really appreciate music to understand how Mozart revolutionized music in his time. Or what Thelonious Monk did for Jazz. Or what the Beach Boys did for popular music, and yes, what the Beatles did also.

It's not a question of comparing some music to now, it is understanding what direction certain musicians took music in their time.

Kerb Crawler

Caitriona said:

I agree with this. And George Harrison was VERY underrated. Some of my favorite songs in the Beatle's catalogue are his.

C

Cloudy

yes, just because shakespeare's plays have dated in the 'linguistic' sense, doesn't make the content any less relevant.

Shatna

SOINT PLUT!
OK, everything said about them EXCEPT for what Cait said is superfluous crap. :D

Laker_Girl

Mrs. Big Dick McGee
Shatna said:
They made great music, some of the greatest music ever. Anything else that's said about them is superfluous crapola.

Lennon could outplay Mandela any day of the week!

:lol: Don't try and be mean to me.

I hate musician types and all their creative blah-biddy-blah. Gee, you're so deeply connected to the music and the tunes man. Big whoop, I read music, I played an instrument, it's no special thing.

No offense to KC or Shatna, you are always exempt.

Shatna

SOINT PLUT!
If you heard me sing and play guitar you'd be naked in seconds. :D

Laker_Girl

Mrs. Big Dick McGee
^Who needs you to sing and play guitar? ;)

Shatna

SOINT PLUT!
It's like whipped cream and a cherry.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
Caitriona said:

As to them being dated, meh.

You have to really appreciate music to understand how Mozart revolutionized music in his time. Or what Thelonious Monk did for Jazz. Or what the Beach Boys did for popular music, and yes, what the Beatles did also.

It's not a question of comparing some music to now, it is understanding what direction certain musicians took music in their time.

Comparing a half-decent skiffle band to the great Thelonious Monk or *gasp* Mozart is tantamount to sacrilege! You might just be banished from the Kingdom of Music!