Digging around in my Basement.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
I came across something I had forgotten about. Back when I was in college, I made a "mecca" pilgrimage to the Boston Museam of Science, because I was WOWED there as a kid (you have no fucking idea) and was doing the "bucket list) shit at age 23.

So I go to the museum and I ORGASM on all the things I remember, and assimilate with the growth and all the new stuff, and made the obligatory trip to the Gift Shop, where Paul Matisse (no relation) art object "The Kalliroscope" was on sale for 40 bucks. these are 1973 dollars btw.

I coughed up, and had the thing all through my life, until it was accidentally destroyed on the trip back to Vermont from Santa Fe.

So, Im in this Linen and Bath shop today, buying a Rabbit for my wine, and some bread pans and just trying to have some fun on an extremely BORING Sunday afternoon when I come across this toy in the back. A little ball, with 4 chambers of rheostatic fluid, each a different color. Not REAL rheostatic fluid mind you, but just motion sensitive grade. (Pure grade reacts to body heat in addition to motion. So, I bought the ball.

The item I remember that was broken? There's one actually for sale on ebay for 750. I'm tempted to email the little jerk and send him this link to shame him into selling it to me cheaper, because that's what I had.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kalliroscop...998?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ea88907e

That's the GRAIL item Ive been looking for for almost 20 years.

I love being alive.

jack

btw, this thread is for my dear friend Gear.

jack

no and yes

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
He is similar to any other 23 yr old man in every respect save for one - His entire head is covered in lush thick hair down to the base of his neck.

cakewalk

along for the ride
I haven't seen a Kalliroscope IRL, but read about them before. Now, I wanna check one out.

jack: when you say, "no relation" in your post, what mean you? I thought you were talking about no relation between the great French artisit and the Kalliroscope inventor, but pretty sure Paul Matisse is in fact the grandson of Henri Matisse.

I wish I could post an image, and not just a link. I love Matisse's, Femme au manteau violet (Woman in a Purple Coat). Beautiful light and color, to me.

jack

AWESOME news! Just got off the phone with that ebay seller, and he's going to sell me the scope for 175! He said he's had it up several times, and no one has even responded til this morning! He wanted 750 for it, but he was just fishing to see what it was worth (he had no idea)

I'm. SO. PSYCHED!

jack

I haven't seen a Kalliroscope IRL, but read about them before. Now, I wanna check one out.

jack: when you say, "no relation" in your post, what mean you? I thought you were talking about no relation between the great French artisit and the Kalliroscope inventor, but pretty sure Paul Matisse is in fact the grandson of Henri Matisse.

I wish I could post an image, and not just a link. I love Matisse's, Femme au manteau violet (Woman in a Purple Coat). Beautiful light and color, to me.

Sorry for being so linear, I meant he wasn't the artist. And Henri's son abandoned Paul when his mom and dad divorced. another painter adopted him.

jack

Here you go, miss Walk

4499.imgcache.jpg