Doctor Who: The End of Time 1 & 2

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
I had a marathon viewing session this weekend, I watched Land of the Dead (Just OK, liked Michelle Ryan), Waters of Mars (Pretty good, I liked the bit where The Doctor got all dark towards the end), and the Tennant 2-part finale.

The End of Time was, by far, the best of the recent specials. Sure, they once again overused a great Doctor Who villian, The Master, but John Simm was excellent in the role, and it gave pretty decent closure to his storyline, so I can't complain.

I liked Timothy Dalton as the President of the Time Lords, I thought he did a great job, and the idea of the Time Lords returning by using/causing The Master's psychotic break was a pretty good paradoxical idea. I wasn't too keen on "The Master Race", though, I didn't see much point to it, and besides we all knew that everyone would be restored by the end of the 2nd hour.

The ending was satusfying, but the epilogue left a lot to be desired. It's all well and good for The Doctor to pop into his companions' lives and save them (or help them out, as in the case of Donna) but it seemed to negate any lesson he learned by changing time in "The Waters of Mars". In an event, it felt really tacked-on, and was obviously an excuse to have Tenant get one more scene with all the actors who've been in the series with him. It was nice to see Freema, she's as hot as ever, and Billie looked good too.

I'm saving the best for last, though. There is one person who single-handedly elevated this 2-parter from a "B" to a solid A. Of course I'm speaking of Bernard Cribbins as Wilfred Mott. Cribbins is by far the best actor who's appeared on the series; his rheumy eyes and weather-beaten face lend him an air of gravitas that the other actors simply cannot match. And he's talented-damned talented. I'd watch him in anything, he's riveting when he's on the screen, whether he's being a tad "goofy" with the Silver Cloak, or serious when talking about WWII. Great actor.

So those are my thoughts, I liked it, I look forward to Matt Smith.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
^I love Wilfred, especially in the scene in the diner when the Doctor is talking about dying, and Wilfred goes I will some day, and the Doctor goes "don't you dare." It's so sweet.

whisky

Boobie inspector
And it makes what follows even more poingnent as the Doctor has to face between leaving Wilf to die, or lose his own life (eventually).

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
The really drawn out ending where he met all the old characters was the only part of the episode I really liked, aside from the café scene. I thought it was a good way of reminding us why we liked the show. The rest of the two-parter was just too haphazard and rushed for my liking. And the fact that the first part took place ages after the ending of Waters of Mars meant that they wasted some really good momentum that was built up at the end of that episode. What was the point of making him all dark and slightly psychotic, only to have him back to the "lol I've got a big hat!"-Doctor at the beginning of this ep?

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
The problem was that RTD did what RTD always does, introduces lots and lots and lots of ideas (some of which are GOOD ideas) and then realises that he can't actually resolve any of them so you get all The Masters turning back into humans by Timothy Dalton waving his hand, and the Time Lords popping up to go "RRR WE'RE THE TIME LORDS" only to be sent back in about 5 minutes anyway.

Tisiphone

Just to fuck with us!

When does the new season start?

Tisiphone

At least we were spared a lot of the Dalton spittle scenes. Just the one huge closeup of him hocking a massive lugie.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I was watching a bit of 'Dalek' today and The Doctor talked about causing millions of Dalek ships to "burn" and when asked about the Time Lords "they burned too". But apparently they were actually all "time-locked". No one who died in the Time War actually DIED IN THE TIME WAR.

Remember that Charlie Brooker interview with RTD where he was talking about how much he hated lazy, exposition filled dialogue? The example he gave was "hi, SIS, I'm calling you ON YOUR WEDDING DAY!" or something like that.

Then in End Of Time we get "HEY, MARTHA JONES, MY WIFE, I AM MICKEY SMITH YOUR HUSBAND AND YOU MARRIED ME!!!" What happened there?

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Just to fuck with us!

When does the new season start?

April 3rd in the UK, April 17th on BBCAmerica.

Remember that Charlie Brooker interview with RTD where he was talking about how much he hated lazy, exposition filled dialogue? The example he gave was "hi, SIS, I'm calling you ON YOUR WEDDING DAY!" or something like that.

That was the same interview where he said how easy it was for him to come up with Character names because he's so great. This was right after The Stolen Earth had aired, which featured a scene with Mickey Smith, Sarah Jane Smith, Luke Smith and Harriot Jones, Martha Jones and Ianto Jones.

Big Dick McGee

Damn, I don't get BBCAmerica in HD, looks like I'll be downloading them as usual.

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
Speaking of the Waters of Mars; Because I'm far too lazy to re-write it for the MF, here's a copypasta of what I wrote at ASVS:

I'm finally getting caught up on some Dr Who, and I watched The Waters of Mars the other day. It was overall a decent episode. It showed The Doctor questioning some of his basic beliefs. I really found the whole thing about the alien life being trapped in the ice interesting too, but I was left really wanting more, and I have the bad feeling none of this will be revisited or expounded upon. We were told that Mars was once inhabited, and they were apparently menaced by these creatures but locked them beneath the ice. However, we were never given any indication what happened to the Martians and if these creatures were responsible. We were also given no information as to where these things originated. The episode has a lot of good points but it was very unsatisfying. Unless they go back in future episodes and explain some of this, I'm going to have to give this episode a lower score than I want to.

Big Dick McGee

BBCAmerica HD just started coming on for us. What service are you using?

Time Warner Cable, in the Inland Empire. I can't complain about their service, they offer loads more HD channels than Charter did.

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
Time Warner Cable, in the Inland Empire. I can't complain about their service, they offer loads more HD channels than Charter did.

Yeah, as far as cable providers go, Charter is kinda on the low end. Hmmmm as far as this thread seems to indicate, you should have either had it already or be getting it very soon. http://www.satelliteguys.us/time-warner-cable-forum/184945-bbc-america-hd-deal-w-time-warner.html Post #6 says it was available in the L.A. TWC market in November. I'm a bit surprised you haven't gotten it yet.

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
Well, I feel incredibly stupid. I don't remember any of this. Although, most of the episodes I watched were from the mid 70's on.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
To be fair, they could recap a little for those of us who haven't seen all the old episodes. I've seen some Pertwee and Tom Baker and the Cushing film(s?) and the McGann tv movie, and that's about it.

Big Dick McGee

Yeah, I only caught the ocassional Baker episodes on PBS, but they seemed to show them in no particular order. Same with the Peter Davison ones. Never saw any of the Doctors between Davison and Eccleston, except for the tv movie which was absolutely atrocious.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I watched the tv movie again the other day, the acting by everyone outside the main leads was uniformally awful.

The comedy fat guy orderly was bad enough, but they even had to have the atomic clock professor act stupid too, popping his mouth at midnight when he should still have been really upset about his clock.

Big Dick McGee

They need to have Freema and Billie naked for an entire episode.