Does having celebrities appeal for the return of missing children EVER help?

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Are the people who abducted that little girl going to see David Beckham on the news and think "hmm, maybe we SHOULD give her back if David Beckhma says so!"? Surely any who has information would come forward whether or not Roy "Chubby" Brown has asked them to? HUH?

CaptainWacky

MAX MINI FTW

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Beckham urges help in missing girl case

LISBON, Portugal — Soccer star David Beckham made a televised appeal Friday for help in the search for a 3-year-old British girl who disappeared a week ago while on vacation with her family in southern Portugal.
In footage broadcast on Portuguese television, the Real Madrid soccer star held up a poster with a photo of Madeleine McCann.

"If you have seen this little girl please could you go to your local authorities or police and give any information that you have. Any genuine information you have — please, please help us," Beckham said.

Madeleine disappeared on May 3 from a hotel room where she and her family were staying in the Algarve coastal region, a major European holiday destination renowned for its warm climate and picturesque beaches. Police believe she was abducted while her parents ate dinner in a restaurant in the resort complex.

Two Portuguese soccer players — Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo and Chelsea's Paulo Ferreira — have also appealed for information on the missing child, speaking in English and Portuguese.

Madeleine's parents said Friday they were satisfied police were doing all they could to find their daughter as authorities wound down their search of the local countryside.

Gerry and Kate McCann spent most of Thursday at a local police station and said in a statement: "We have now seen at first hand how hard the police are working in the search for Madeleine and their strong desire to find her."

"We are very grateful for all the efforts and offers of support that we have had from home and from around the world. We have been moved by the enormous willingness of people to do all they can to help find Madeleine," it said.

Some 150 police officers and dozens of volunteers have combed the countryside for days. Authorities said some units with sniffer dogs were still deployed but that most of the force had stood down after searching an 80-square-mile area several times.

Detectives were seen Friday checking rooms at the Ocean Club holiday village where the McCanns were staying when their daughter disappeared. Officers at the nearby border with Spain were carrying out spot checks of vehicles.

Madeleine's parents left her and her 2-year-old twin brother and sister alone while they went to a restaurant about 150 feet away. The parents say they checked on the children several times before Madeleine disappeared.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
I once stayed in a hotel in the lakes where the hotel doors were very heavy to push. Two of my kids were in a seperate room, so I put a wedge in the door to enable them to open it, if they got scared in the night - what if someone had taken my children then? Would I be to blame?

I think people need to be very careful about apportioning blame. I nearly went for someone at work who suggested the mother didn't look that upset.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
It's pathetic is what it is. Sure you can say that they shouldn't have left them unsupervised NOW but how realistic is it?

They were 150 feet away and periodically checked them. My mother expressed similar sentiments of disdain for those who are being critical of the parents in all this.

It's just a nasty, nasty state of affairs and they're going through quite enough without having a campaign to make them feel like their daughters fate is all their fault.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
They showed that Beckham appeal on the news this evening, I laughed at the awkward pause while he waited for the camera to focus on him again, but it wasn't as bad as Christiano Ronaldo's one where you could see his eyes shifting back and forth as he read his heartfelt appeal from a sheet.

CaptainWacky

Why doesn't he look himself if he cares so much.

CaptainWacky

WE WOULD HAVE FOUND LITTLE MADDY BY NOW IF BECKHAM HAD BEGGED HARDER.

CaptainWacky

Maybe he's going to use the ten million to improve the world in some way lol I can't finish this sentence.