Fucking hobos...

The Question

Eternal
This. Walking The Dog in a different spot. Go "huh, that's a big pile of trash, out in the middle of nowhere." Look down to the bottom of the hill "ah. A hobo camp." And on top of the garbage they collect and the garbage they discard wherever they happen to be standing at the moment, they occasionally find something useful--that they then neglect and ruin.

Almost started this thread back when the guy moved in under the bridge but held off. Started it because I ordered a dumpster to clean out the house I just bought. Even after being "cleaned out" by the seller, I still pretty quickly filled up the 2 car garage. Driveway is too narrow to get the dumpster on the property. In the 8 hours it was sitting on the street in front of the house, someone threw a bag of trash and a few Amazon boxes in it, so I wanted to get the garage cleaned out in 1 day, rather than come back and find my dumpster full of someone else's trash. Got maybe 75% of the way before it got so late I decided I didn't want to annoy the neighbors (and I was getting pretty tired anyway). As I'm securing the property--at 11:30pm--this sketchy guy who looked like Shaggy from Scooby Doo, aimlessly pedals up on a 1960s style 1 speed "cruiser" bicycle, with a cigar stub in his mouth and asks if "there's anything good in the dumpster or if it is just garbage...because I was going to climb in and check." It's garbage, you dumb fuck. That's why it's in a dumpster. And what are you going to do, get in and ratfuck the piles of rotten carpet and broken wheelchairs and branches to find a treasured particle board Wal*Mart bookcase and a couple Martina McBride CDs? What are you going to do with them if you do, on a bicycle in the middle of the night.

I dread showing up to find stuff thrown out of the dumpster and rooted around in. I was packing pretty carefully because even after I separated out all the metal for a scrap metal company, it looks like I'm going to run out of space before I run out of crap.
Ugh. "Dumpster diving." The predominant pastime of the hobo set -- well, it would be, if it could knock drink and drugs out of their eternal jockeying for the top spot. Thing is, people do throw away perfectly good shit -- but not normal people. Spoiled college-age rich kids with no concept of money or value, sure. But you never see bums rooting through dumpsters in cities like Paradise Valley, or on ASU campus. They're always going through dumpsters in run down apartment complexes and neighborhoods where the shit that ends up in the dumpster wasn't worth a wet squirt of shit at the time it was purchased brand new.

Dumb cunts.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
That is disgusting.

The Question

Eternal
This. Walking The Dog in a different spot. Go "huh, that's a big pile of trash, out in the middle of nowhere." Look down to the bottom of the hill "ah. A hobo camp." And on top of the garbage they collect and the garbage they discard wherever they happen to be standing at the moment, they occasionally find something useful--that they then neglect and ruin.

Almost started this thread back when the guy moved in under the bridge but held off. Started it because I ordered a dumpster to clean out the house I just bought. Even after being "cleaned out" by the seller, I still pretty quickly filled up the 2 car garage. Driveway is too narrow to get the dumpster on the property. In the 8 hours it was sitting on the street in front of the house, someone threw a bag of trash and a few Amazon boxes in it, so I wanted to get the garage cleaned out in 1 day, rather than come back and find my dumpster full of someone else's trash. Got maybe 75% of the way before it got so late I decided I didn't want to annoy the neighbors (and I was getting pretty tired anyway). As I'm securing the property--at 11:30pm--this sketchy guy who looked like Shaggy from Scooby Doo, aimlessly pedals up on a 1960s style 1 speed "cruiser" bicycle, with a cigar stub in his mouth and asks if "there's anything good in the dumpster or if it is just garbage...because I was going to climb in and check." It's garbage, you dumb fuck. That's why it's in a dumpster. And what are you going to do, get in and ratfuck the piles of rotten carpet and broken wheelchairs and branches to find a treasured particle board Wal*Mart bookcase and a couple Martina McBride CDs? What are you going to do with them if you do, on a bicycle in the middle of the night.

I dread showing up to find stuff thrown out of the dumpster and rooted around in. I was packing pretty carefully because even after I separated out all the metal for a scrap metal company, it looks like I'm going to run out of space before I run out of crap.
Ugh. "Dumpster diving." The predominant pastime of the hobo set -- well, it would be, if it could knock drink and drugs out of their eternal jockeying for the top spot. Thing is, people do throw away perfectly good shit -- but not normal people. Spoiled college-age rich kids with no concept of money or value, sure. But you never see bums rooting through dumpsters in cities like Paradise Valley, or on ASU campus. They're always going through dumpsters in run down apartment complexes and neighborhoods where the shit that ends up in the dumpster wasn't worth a wet squirt of shit at the time it was purchased brand new.

Dumb cunts.
That is disgusting.
Sure is. And annoying. The last apartment I had when I still lived in Tempe, they eventually had to build a gated enclosure for the dumpsters to keep the fucking trash ranchers out of them.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
The first night, I should count myself lucky. There was a little space left still, so the human raccoon only dragged stuff around in the dumpster. Now it's mostly full, so I worry they'll throw stuff out onto the street. Or figure out how to open the gate to drag stuff out. That's what would happen in Portland. But it seems like here, the bums seem to understand their place on social hierarchy a little better and at least *try* not to piss off the normal people.

I will say 1) I have no idea what is "valuable" to hobos and 2) apparently there is *some* "valuable stuff in this dumpster. The dead husband was a ham radio and computer guy, so there's ass tons of extension cords and decent amounts of wiring. Possibly interesting collectibles too. Interesting to some. For instance a pack of officially licensed TRS-80 5 1/4" floppy disks. But I'm not in the scrap metal business. Or the collectibles business. It isn't worth my time to spend a day hauling metal to some junkyard or cleaning up stuff to list on eBay. I mean, shit, how does that even work? You pedal around at night on your little bicycle and go "ooh, that looks like a nice dumpster!" Root around in it for as many power strips as you can carry and...then what? Where do you go with a half dozen power strips, an extension cord, and a coil of co-ax for money?

The first night...you remember those old Targus laptop cases? Back when laptops were kind of clunky and had lots of dongles? The big padded black leather zippered bags? There was one of those and the bum took the time to open it up. I mean, really, what do you think you're going to find in that?

The Question

Eternal
Be real careful about allowing any kind of wiring to be visible; tweekers will be all over that shit. Setting aside the fact that tweekers will literally steal actual garbage, they'll strip the sheathing off any wiring they get their hands on and sell the copper. To whom they sell it, I have no idea, but the Phoenix area is full-on plagued by tweekers stealing air conditioners in order to strip them for the copper.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
For instance a pack of officially licensed TRS-80 5 1/4" floppy disks

Considering the original TRS80 retailed for about 350$ probably worthless. The NM models reselling average 49-450$ depending on the venue and they don't move that quickly.

Put on your waterproof star trek suit and DIVE CAPTAIN :)

Charlemagne

Holy Roman Emperor
This thread reminds me of how when my sister was in second grade, she told a bunch of her friends at school that we had a hobo living in our garage, and we'd feed him chicken nuggets.