Further, this thread might make you masturbate.

The Question

Eternal
Well, that explains why Microsoft isn't aping Apple at every turn. For example, in the sweeping changes that we saw between Vista and 7...

[YOUTUBE]QT6YO30GhmQ[/YOUTUBE]

Further

MooGoo
MICROSOFT MADE A 3D CHESS GAME CLEARLY THEY STOLE THAT IDEA FROM APPLE

Behold, the iPad HTML 5 EXPERIENCE!

[youtube]rfmbZkqORX4[/youtube]

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
In reality a single Windows robot would have headshot every one of those Mac's while they were struggling to aim with their magic mice at 10fps.

99286044490029654517.jpg

Who says you're not playing with the handicap?

Further

MooGoo
Well, you've got me there. After all, it's not as though Apple has driven online services and standards
forward before, is it?

Yes, I'm sure HTML5 will never evolve beyond where it is now.

Webkit: Based off of the open source KHTML rendering engine. As such Apple was legally bound to release the source code to the HTML and Javascript components of Webkit from the beginning. For awhile they refused to sufficiently document the changes they made to KHTML or provide the source code that linked the two components together. Eventually Apple relented to pressure from the KHTML devs and others in the open source community, and have since then fully supported the open source nature of Webkit, which is commendable. But don't think for a second that they would have opened sourced Webkit if they had written it from scratch by themselves. (And to further drive this point home, the "Reader" feature in Safari 5 that Apple is so proud of is directly based off the code of an open source project that does the exact same thing)

iMac: Not sure what this has to do with anything. It is a compact computer that used to be available in a variety of cheap colored plastic (and included one of the worst mouses ever made). Currently they stand as a testament to Apple's dedication to Form over Function, with hardware configurations significantly behind what can be had on PC's for the same price. Apple was never the only company to make compact computers, they just made them a bit fashionable I guess.

iTunes/AppStore: Uhm...proprietary online services that allow you to buy stuff. Amazon.com has been doing this for over a decade.

MPEG-4 (guessing you mean h.246): A proprietary video codec that Apple had some part in developing. They support it, obviously, and refuse to even entertain the idea of supporting any free codec. Impressive.

FaceTime Oh look, Apple's biggest fanboy website wants everyone to support a video chat "standard" that is completely untested and in use by nobody. I'm sure MS will get right on that. What a stupid article. People have been videochating on computers and (outside the US) phones long before Apple invented it with the new iPhone. Maybe Apple should support some of the standards people are already using.

And last but not least...did you even read that HTML 5 WILL DESTROY FLASH article? Besides the title, Flash is not mentioned once. The artical is a meaningless mash-up of buzzwords and the guy writing it clearly has no idea what he is talking about. If and when HTML 5 is fully supported and completely compatible across multiple browsers, then maybe advertisers will start using it instead of Flash to make annoying animated ads. But we are a long long way off from that happy internet utopia, and by that time Flash will likely be faster and more powerful than HTML 5 could ever hope to be.

And the entire point of posting that video was to show that the iPad which according to Steve Job's does not need Flash because it supports HTML 5, doesn't support HTML 5 well at all. All those demo's run just fine on desktop web browsers (besides IE). On Mobile Safari they are slow and broken. As such HTML 5 has already evolved beyond the iPad's ability to support it. And no one would give two shits about this if Job's wasn't constantly saying HTML5 HTML5 HTML5 every time someone whispered the word Flash in his presence.

*takes off horn-rimmed glasses, for now...*

The Question

Eternal
Webkit: Based off of the open source KHTML rendering engine.

Refined by Apple and serving as the basis of the two fastest desktop browsers currently in existence.

iMac: Not sure what this has to do with anything.

Popularized the internet and brought it to the forefront of popular culture, resulting in greater demand for more advanced services.

iTunes/AppStore: Uhm...proprietary online services that allow you to buy stuff.

The most successful online music ecosystem. Turned mp3 players from novelties into devices as ubiquitous and according to some as important as mobile phones.

MPEG-4 (guessing you mean h.246): A proprietary video codec that Apple had some part in developing.

No, I mean h.264, a standard sufficiently high in quality that almost every competitor Apple has now supports it as well. That's what you call leading the industry.

FaceTime Oh look, Apple's biggest fanboy website wants everyone to support a video chat "standard" that is completely untested and in use by nobody. I'm sure MS will get right on that. What a stupid article. People have been videochating on computers and (outside the US) phones long before Apple invented it with the new iPhone. Maybe Apple should support some of the standards people are already using.

As the site suggests, and as the previous entries illustrate quite well, Apple defines the standards everyone else starts using.

And last but not least...did you even read that HTML 5 WILL DESTROY FLASH article?

Actually, HTML5 won't destroy Flash. Flash will fade on its own, just as Shockwave did. What might destroy Flash is AIR.

And the entire point of posting that video was to show that the iPad which according to Steve Job's does not need Flash because it supports HTML 5, doesn't support HTML 5 well at all.

Oh, excellent point. It's such a shame the iPad's firmware is written in stone. I guess I'll... oh, wait. Never mind.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
What's the point of all those hard drives, if you don't connect them to the mother board!?!?

Also, HOLY POWER SUPPLY!

The Question

Eternal
It's a RAID+DERP array.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Well, that explains why Microsoft isn't aping Apple at every turn. For example, in the sweeping changes that we saw between Vista and 7...

[youtube]QT6YO30GhmQ[/youtube]

Sure Microsoft has stolen Apple innovations but it's not a one way street by any stretch of the imagination. Infact a lot of the features in OSX were stolen from Microsoft's developmental progress of Longhorn and Apple was simply able to get to market quicker. They've been doing this to each other since the very beginning and will continue to do so. They're just as innocent and just as guilty as the other.

The Question

Eternal
Sure Microsoft has stolen Apple innovations but it's not a one way street by any stretch of the imagination. Infact a lot of the features in OSX were stolen from Microsoft's developmental progress of Longhorn and Apple was simply able to get to market quicker. They've been doing this to each other since the very beginning and will continue to do so. They're just as innocent and just as guilty as the other.

From looking at the origins of OS X -- those being NeXTStep -- I'd say OS X swiped their original innovations from Linux, not from Windows.

Further

MooGoo
TIME FOR MOAR

Refined by Apple and serving as the basis of the two fastest desktop browsers currently in existence.

YES WEBKIT IS VERY GOOD. Doesn't mean Apple is suddenly the driving force behind the advancement of web standards. Steve Job's keeps pointing to WebKit and saying SEE??? WE'RE OPEN!! WE SUPPORT OPENESS! Apple is only open when they have to be (and they do a great job taking cynical advantage of such situations).

No one is disputing Apple's skill in software development, their philosophy is the issue.

Popularized the internet and brought it to the forefront of popular culture, resulting in greater demand for more advanced services.

When the iMac was first released in 1998, Apple had a 2.7% market share in personal computers. That already insignificant number actually got smaller every following year until it bottomed out in 2004 at about 1.8%. By that time, the Internet was long since "popularized".

The Internet did not rise because of a machine and platform that was so completely marginalized. It rose all on its own, irrespective of whatever OS (Windows) people were using to connect to it.

The most successful online music ecosystem. Turned mp3 players from novelties into devices as ubiquitous and according to some as important as mobile phones.

I'd like to say something but I just...don't...care... New music sucks. I'll stick with FLAC torrents and Rockbox. WalMart is another extremely successful retailer of cheap crap that people want, but they still suck.

No, I mean h.264, a standard sufficiently high in quality that almost every competitor Apple has now supports it as well. That's what you call leading the industry.

Apple had absolutely nothing to do with the development or adoption of h.264. They hold a grand total of 1 patent related to the codec. Sony holds 29. Microsoft holds 65. Toshiba holds 205. Panasonic holds 446. See for yourself.

h.264 had widespread industry support long before Steve Job's started claiming it was the best thing since sliced bread. Apple has a vested interest in h.264 because all their video delivery technology is based on it. Far be it from "leading the industry" to support h.264, Apple followed where the industry had already lead.

Given that nearly every significant computer technology company supports the codec, Apple's decision to use it is hardly surprising. The reason why Apple gets criticism on this issue is because of the fact that Steve Job's masturbates to the sound of his own voice and cannot help himself from constantly talking shit and spreading lies about competing technologies (Flash and free/open source codecs).

As the site suggests, and as the previous entries illustrate quite well, Apple defines the standards everyone else starts using.

And what standards has Apple defined now? I cannot think of any. Apple never defines standards, that's not their style. They build proprietary services that can only be used with Apple software. They make software that can only be used with Apple hardware. In short, they let nobody but themselves integrate with the products they create, which is the opposite of what standards are designed to do (and no, Webkit is not a standard, it is software that supports standards that were already well supported by Mozilla and Opera, and it is open source only because Apple is legally bound to keep it that way).

Actually, HTML5 won't destroy Flash. Flash will fade on its own, just as Shockwave did. What might destroy Flash is AIR.

I would be happy to see the HTML5 <video> element replace Flash video players. But this will never happen in HTML5's current state for the unfortunate reason that it lacks any sort of DRM. In other words, content owners cannot control videos published with HTML5. They can with Flash. I am not sure at what point this will change if at all (or if we'd even want it to). At best Flash video and HTML 5 video will co-exist for a long time to come.

And Air? Air is simply an encapsulated browser environment that allows developers to use HTML, Javascript, and Flash to create cross platform desktop applications, kind of like XULRunner. It has nothing to do with embedded video or animations/games in HTML.

Oh, excellent point. It's such a shame the iPad's firmware is written in stone. I guess I'll... oh, wait. Never mind.

So now software is immune to criticism because it has the possibility of being improved in the future? Or is it just Apple software? What kind of mad world are you living in? I suppose people should stop complaining about Flash's CPU eating ways because Adobe will probably release more efficient versions of it at some point in the future. And Internet Explorer is just great because by version 12 it might have the same level of standards support that Firefox had 3 years ago.

Steve Job's stated that the iPad does not need Flash because it supports HTML 5, as in supports it NOW. Yet in actuality it barely even supports the <video> tag, much less fancy <canvas> crap. Apple has not even acknowledged this issue, and considering it took them 3 years to add gimped multitasking to the iPhone, I would not hold your breath waiting on magical Apple updates to appear.

Further

MooGoo
From looking at the origins of OS X -- those being NeXTStep -- I'd say OS X swiped their original innovations from Linux, not from Windows.

OS X swiped its kernel from BSD, or more generally UNIX. It has some standard UNIX programs and a terminal application, but really is not similar at all to Linux.

Besides I doubt most users care about the kernel or even know what it is. When people talk about innovation on an operating system, they are nearly always referring to the user interface.

Aqua is worlds apart from KDE or Gnome, window managers that seem to take most of their cues (unfortunately) from MS Windows. The Dock was based on something similar from NeXTStep, but considering that OS was created by a company founded by Steve Jobs himself, I'd hardly call it "stealing".

But yes, computer companies have been aping ideas from each other from the beginning, Apple chief among them. Job's said it best himself:
[youtube]CW0DUg63lqU[/youtube]

By the way, the documentary that clip was from, Triumph of the Nerds, Best. Documentary. Ever.

Even being 15 years out of date, it is still informative, enlightening, and Epic. Find it. Watch it.