Game of Thrones 1.10 'Fire And Blood'

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
A new king rises in the north; a Khaleesi finds new hope.

SEASON FINALE.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I was so sad about the season being over that I forgot to post about it.

KING OF THE NORTH! KING OF THE NORTH!

I thought they did a pretty good job with the dragons. I was afraid they'd look really bad, but they turned out pretty good, IMO. Dany rocks.

CaptainWacky

All the Dany scenes were really well done. It ws really sad when she was smothering vegetable Drogo, but then the last scene was awesome and the dragons looked good (I mean, we only saw the black one properly but it was good and he's the coolest one anyway!)

There was a lot of set-up for the next season but HBO viewers should be used to that after the True Blood finales that wrap the plot up in five minutes then have ten minutes of Jason talking about V with a football guy. And it was the kind of set up that makes you want to see what happens RIGHT NOW...but we have to wait until April. SO SOMEONE INVENT A TIME MACHINE?

Not sure about including that Pycelle scene in the finale. Bit weird. It was funny when he started doing squats though.

"Do you lie awake at night fearing my gash?"

I laughed when Sam bounced off the tree.

HOT PIE! He kicked a man in the balls until he died! Don't mess with Hot Pie.

FINALLY SOME SAN/SAN!

AND FINALLY SOME SHAGGYDOG (I keep editing this when I remember stuff.)

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
Can't really do too indepth from this phone. But it was great!!! I can't believe it doesn't return til Spring. Grrr!!!!

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
I am going to read the books. Decided today. I knew I probably would, after the show ended. I wish HBO had longer seasons, or didn't have so long between them. But, then maybe show quality would suffer and I wouldn't want that either. Still, I just don't think I can wait a year.

CaptainWacky

Yes, I would still advise everyone who hasn't read the books to do so, if they want to. I mean, if you liked the show I don't see how you couldn't like them. I understand they're quite long and would take a while to read though.

After a relatively average launch of 2.2 million viewers, Thrones continued to edge higher in the ratings all season. With its season finale, Thrones hit a number HBO has been targeting: 3 million viewers. Adding the show’s repeat at 11 p.m., a total of 3.9 million viewers tuned in. The show continues to average 8.3 million viewers when you include all repeats, DVR and On Demand viewing.

Guess those readers pledging they would stop watching after Episode 9′s shocking event couldn’t stay away?

NOW GIVE US A HIGHER BUDGET NEXT SEASON.

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
1059.imgcache.png

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Vegetable Drogo was when I started to really like Dany in the books. I really started to root for her.

That is one of my ongoing problems with the book though (I am sure this isn't a spoiler) but my sympathy with the main families has been driven down so much I can't wait for Dany to cross the sea and burn them all.

However, that could be the point...

CaptainWacky

Even Hodor?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I liked the TREASON IS TREASON man scene (yeah, I know he's called Pycelle now but anyway). A slightly unexpected break from the main story, but it was interesting to get an insight into a background character and how he survived so long in the royal court. I always knew he had a gameplan.

Sansa showing some balls made a change. As usual, Joffrey's cuntishness is brutal, but believable.

That Lannister boy that looks like he's jumped out of an animé... weird.

The bit where they stood in a circle reciting the oath was one of the few scenes in this whole series that I've thought were really weak. I imagine most people found it stirring or dramatic, but it reminded me of a school play.

The last scene was really good, though. Again I wonder what it's like for the actress, doing a nude scene with a bunch of extras standing around her and having to pretend to hold CGI dragons that for all she knows could look comically bad in the final cut. It's amazing that they can find an actress as good as her who also looks the part and isn't afraid to go nude.

CaptainWacky

The bit where they stood in a circle reciting the oath was one of the few scenes in this whole series that I've thought were really weak. I imagine most people found it stirring or dramatic, but it reminded me of a school play.

I remember IN THE BOOK there was about twelve of them who went off after Jon and I think he actually go to the nearest town (where the black brothers go to sleep with whores) and that was where the scene took place, but due to THE BUDGET the show version was three guys and some trees.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
I think that scene wasn't the best in the book either if I am honest. I would have chopped it, but I suppose there is a storyline about honour and code that needs to be adhered to.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
That smug witch got what she deserved!! "You will not hear my screams." SHE SCREAMED LIKE A BITCH

I've always rooted for Dany, and for Arya. Sansa's redemption has come too late for me, and she just annoys the fuck out of me. I liked that the Hound knew what she was about to do and intervened.

Joffrey's face reminds me of the cabbage patch dude from Eegah.

I wonder if the blacksmith really got tired of that young man (can't remember his name, he helped out Arya) or if Ned went ahead and sent him off to the Wall for his own protection. I no longer care that I don't remember half of this stuff from the books. It's nice to be surprised.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Boring Fact: The blacksmith boy was in the first two seasons of Skins along with Nick Hoult from "X-Men: Fuckit Lets Start Again from the Beginning" and Dev Patel from "Slumdog Overrated Movie".

CaptainWacky

I don't remember him having oily muscles in Skins though!

CaptainWacky

Interview with the VFX person.

Game of Thrones: Features - Interview with VFX Producer Lucy Ainsworth-Taylor

INTERESTING PART...

As BlueBolt is a small new VFX house, tackling CG creatures with fur, plus CG fire and water would be too much of a stretch. Although we have all done this many times as individuals at previous companies, BlueBolt’s pipeline and development would struggle to do this in the short amount of time needed for the second series.

Sounds like we'll get CG direwolves next season.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
I just ordered "A Game of Thrones" for my kindle, for the long plane ride to Philly. I will D/L the first season when I'm back from vacation and I'll post my thoughts on both the book and the teevee series when I'm done. The kindle lets you d/l a small sample of the book before you buy it, so I read the first 15 pages or so this morning (after Wacky recommended it), and I'm hooked. Can't wait.

CaptainWacky

You will like it! (Watch out for spoilers in these episode disccusion threads.)