Game Of Thrones 1.2 'The Kingsroad'

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Having agreed to become the King’s Hand, Ned leaves Winterfell with daughters Sansa and Arya, while Catelyn stays behind in Winterfell. Jon Snow heads north to join the brotherhood of the Night’s Watch. Tyrion decides to forego the trip south with his family, instead joining Jon in the entourage heading to the Wall. Viserys bides his time in hopes of winning back the throne, while Daenerys focuses her attention on learning how to please her new husband, Drogo.

"!"

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
:(

Tisiphone

I'm really impressed with this show, even if it is only the second episode. I read the books when they first came out and have purposefully kept from brushing up on them to see how much I remember, and how much I'm all like HOLY SHIT MOFO on.

I think they've captured every character perfectly (from what I remember), and am so glad this got picked up for a second season.

Joffrey must die, also. Arya kicks ass.

Cock

Let's be making sexy business
missed it last night.. gonna have to catch a re run

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
GREAT episode. I had forgotten how much I hate Sansa!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member

Tisiphone

I agree with you. His sadistic side lies beneath the surface, so I like how he's playing it. And loved when he got the shit slapped outta him by his uncle.

I love the blonde (I suck at spelling her name) married to the barbarian, and think the girl playing her looks like Piper Perabo.

CaptainWacky

I thought it was better than the first episode because it didn't feel as rushed and we got to learn more about the characters (well I already knew those things from the books, BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT.) They did a good job dropping lots of new info in (first real mention of what happened with Rhaegar and Lyanna and Jaime killing the Mad King.)

Tyrion was really good in all his scenes and the girl playing Arya is great. Sansa is a silly bitch and Joffrey has a face you'd never tire of punching (or slapping!) Summer mauling the assassin was nicely gruesome.

I liked when the love instructor said "oh don't worry, I didn't sleep with men at nine, I waited three years" as if it's perfectly normally to be pleasing men at twelve.

NEXT WEEK we'll see King's Landing and The Wall properly and there will be lots of new characters and stuff!

Did anyone notice that they updated the title sequence to show the place where Dany was this week? That was cool.

Tisiphone

I didn't notice that in the credits. Cool. :)

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I thought something was new in the credits but I've only seen last week's twice, so wasn't sure if I was imagining things.

Anyway, I didn't mind the faster pace last week, but it was definitely beneficial to slow things down a little in the second ep. It made things a lot clearer in my head about how everyone was related and what their roles were.

The kid playing Joffrey is really good imo. I mean, I absolutely detest the character and it's only been two episodes, so he must be doing something right. Although I think I'd find his face annoying in any case, to be honest. (British Celebrity Reference: He looks like a young Julien Clary imo.)

The girl playing Arya is also brilliant, especially when you consider how annoying "precocious" young kids in fiction usually are.

I wish they'd stop calling Jon Snow a bastard, but I guess that's a slightly heavy handed way of making us sympathise with him. Not really necessary.

CaptainWacky

Speaking of sympathising with Jon: in the book version of the scene where Jon goes to say goodbye to Bran, Cat calls his name when he's about to leave and he stops at the door. She then says "it should have been you" (pushed out of a window) to him. That was really horrible and I guess they left it out of the show because it would have been impossible to like Cat again after that (they did leave in her being nasty to Jon, just not to such a crazy extent.)

BOOK "COMPLAINT": we saw Tommen and Myrcella for the first time this week, but Myrcella was kind of chubby whereas Tommen was normal sized. I'm sure it was the other way around in the book. IT SPOILED THE WHOLE EPISODE FOR ME.

Wait until they get to the Sandor/Gregor fight!

Tisiphone

Yeah, it's not like it's Jon's fault he's a bastard.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Yeah, I think they're making Cat much more sympathetic in the show than she was in the books. It's ok, I know it's hard to adapt a book to a show and keep everything the same.

It has been a long time since I read the books, so I can't even remember all the people I suspected of being Jon's real mother and father. I kind of think Ned's brother Uncle SOMETHINGOROTHER is his father and a wild woman from teh other side of the wall is his mother. I never really believed that Ned was his father.

Tisiphone

^LoL. Me and a coworker were just talking about how she's never thought Ned was the father either.

CaptainWacky

UNCLE BENJEN.

R+L=J is the popular theory on the internet but I don't want to say what that means in case it's a spoiler for non-book people.

HERE'S SOMETHING NICE: the girl who plays Sansa adopted the dog who played Lady. She's not really dead! Not A Blog - They're Not Siblings...

Tisiphone

Those dogs remind me of Nanook from "Lost Boys."

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Just because he says he's the father doesn't mean he is the father, unless they do a flashback scene to when he impregnates Jon's mother or something, which they didn't.

WELL, this http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/FAQ/Entry/2291/ puts an end to my Uncle BenJen theory.