Game Of Thrones 1.5 'The Wolf And The Lion'

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Incensed over news of Daenerys’ alliance with the Dothraki, Robert orders a preemptive strike on the Targaryens that drives a wedge in his relationship with Ned. A captive Tyrion helps Catelyn, but receives a cold reception at the Eyrie from her sister, John Arryn’s widow Lysa. Sansa is charmed by the dashing Ser Loras Tyrell, aka the Knight of Flowers. Arya overhears a plot against her father.

SHOULD BE GOOD

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
Poor horsie.

Cock

Let's be making sexy business
Renley and Loris? Really? I did not get a big homo vibe from reading the books....

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I don't remmeber the shaving scene from the book, but that was a long time ago.

Good episode all around, needed more Dany. Next week should be interesting.

CaptainWacky

Best episode yet. I did miss Jon and Dany a bit, yes, but there was so much going on with the other stories that it made sense to focus on them (the only bit that felt out of place was the Theon scene.)

If Gregor was disappointing last week he made up for it this week. He decapitated a fucking horse!

Tyrion saved Cat BUT SHE DOESN'T EVEN THANK HIM THE BITCH. Bronn was cool when we saw him ("give me ten good men with climbing spikes and I'll impregnate the bitch.")

DRAGON SKULL. Arya is a bit too pretty to be mistaken for a boy all the time, but I suppose highborn girls would never be wearing trousers and covered in dirt so it makes sense!

Lysa was suitably crazy and Robert was really creepy. I thought they might leave out the breast feeding. Eww.

The Sky Cell looked awesome.

The Robert/Cersei scene was really good. Made her a bit of a sympathetic character and Mark Addy continues to impress.

The Ned/Jaime fight was really well done too. I liked how Jaime seemed to be playing with him at first but seemed to respect his skill at the end and was angry when his guard stepped in. It was different from the book (a horse fell on Ned's leg in the book) but just as effective.

Poor Jory, one minute he's looking at breasts, the next he's been stabbed through the eye (THE VERY SAME EYE HE USED TO LOOK AT BREASTS.)

CaptainWacky

Renley and Loris? Really? I did not get a big homo vibe from reading the books....

It was more subtle in the first book, but it defintiely got more obvious as it went on. Remember Renly's "Rainbow Guard"? And Jaime's line when threatening Loras "I'll stick my sword somewhere even Renly didn't find."

And there was Margeary still being a virgin when she married Joffrey despite having been married to Renly.

The shaving scene wasn't in the book, but neither of them were point of view characters so there wasn't a chance to show them alone together. Same with the Robert/Cersei scene.

CaptainWacky

ALSO it was awesome when The Hound bowed to King Robert just as Gregor swung his sword at his head.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
I hated seeing Jory die too. And the look on Ned's face was like MOTHAFUCKA

CaptainWacky

I knew last week's scene with Jaime and Jory talking in a (mostly) friendly way was foreshadowing his death but I couldn't mention it in the thread becasue not everyone has read the book. I'll point out more foreshadowing when the season ends!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
OMG I totally forgot about Lysa and her crazy breastfeeding kid! They did a really good job with those actors, REALLY all of the actors so far have been good. I had forgotten all about Cat's sister, so that was really kickass creepy.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
The breastfeeding scene really surprised me... the parents of that child actor must be really fucking desperate to make him famous! And I bet he didn't stop talking at school about how he got to suck a tit (probably not mentioning it was fake).

Um, anyway, it was a good episode! I would've been happy even if it didn't have an increase of action but it was still welcome. I'm sad that Ned's guard (Jory apparently... I hadn't even learnt his name yet!) is dead. It's nice to have some lower ranking yet familiar people in amongst the kings and lords and whatever.

I'm not totally clear on who Cockboy is and what his relationship is with the other characters. Some sort of ward, but where'd he come from exactly?

Didn't expect gay characters. TYPICAL POLITICALLY CORRECT MEDIEVAL FANTASY DRAMA.

That big guy really is cool. I hope we see him again. Wasn't really fair to blame Black Beauty for his failure though.

Hmm. So Ned's never going to walk properly again. What an unlucky family.

CaptainWacky

Cockboy: HBO: Game of Thrones: Viewer's Guide

Basically his family tried to rebel against Robert's rule ten years ago or so (which is what Jaime and Jordy were talking about last week and when Tyrion was talking about "burning sailors") and he's Ned's ward/prisoner to stop them rebelling again.

INTERESTINGLY he's played by Lily Allen's brother Alfie. I think she did a song about his wanksocks or something.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Oh, so that's why he looked familiar. He took over from Daniel Radcliffe doing Equus and everyone (some people on the internet) said he was lucky he had a big knob because Lily had got all the good looks.

Thanks for the link. It's difficult keeping track of all this stuff when a lot of it's happened off-screen.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
With all my internet problems I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THE DONG.

CaptainWacky

The HBO guide is very useful and spoiler free!

OMG I totally forgot about Lysa and her crazy breastfeeding kid! They did a really good job with those actors, REALLY all of the actors so far have been good. I had forgotten all about Cat's sister, so that was really kickass creepy.

People on THE INTERNET were complaining that Lysa wasn't fat enough because she's described as "plump" in the book. It's hardly an essential part of her character!

CaptainWacky

[YOUTUBE]zK--_53sd3w[/YOUTUBE]

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
People on THE INTERNET were complaining that Lysa wasn't fat enough because she's described as "plump" in the book. It's hardly an essential part of her character!

People on the internet are far too picky about such things. She may not look like their idea of Lysa, but she must look like their idea of crazy!

I had a few similar reactions to some of the characters, but as each episode airs I feel that way less and less.

CaptainWacky

NEXT WEEK: what's that on Dany's mouth...

[YOUTUBE]OU7VpQYd_yg[/YOUTUBE]