Game Of Thrones 3.10 'Mhysa'

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Joffrey challenges Tywin. Bran tells a ghost story. In Dragonstone, mercy comes from strange quarters. Dany waits to see if she is a conqueror or a liberator.

AND SO IT ENDS for another year (well, just under ten months really.) At least we'll have the season four CASTING NEWS thread soon!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I HOPE IT DOESN'T RAIN :rwmad:

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Good be good!

(except for the crocheting, which will display an absolutely slovenly appreciation for accuracy)

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
MHYSA MHYSA MHYSA.

Good season finale, IMO!

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
"You just sent the most powerful man in Westeros to bed without his supper."

Line of the year.

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
so I was telling someone on fb about the series and how well it was written, acted & produced, to get them to watch it....

TRAP!

CaptainWacky

The finale's always a bit of a comedown after the HUGE EVENTS of episode nine. They always try to show every character and also set things up for next season. They have the added problem this season of book three being divided between seasons 3 and 4, so they don't have as many natural finale type moments to include. THAT SAID they made some ODD CHOICES with this episode and there were some things they could have done to make it more dramatic and finale-like. Dany body-surfing on some brown people was a pretty anti-climactic end. They could have actually shown the battle this week instead of just having it happen offscreen last week. And there was SOMETHING ELSE (book people know!) that they could have included right at the end to make a truly memorable ending but...they didn't. So it felt flat.

I wondered why they spent so much time talking about Joffrey's wedding at the start of the season when I knew it wouldn't happen until season four. It would have surely made non book readers think that the wedding would be this season. And they featured Margaery and her gran a lot at the start of the season but they were strangely absent in the last few episodes.

I like that Sam was acting a bit more confident after his experiences. I liked when he met Bran but it felt too brief. They could have had them still there at the end of the episode, but I guess they needed to get Sam back to Castle Black to send the message (FUNNY HOW that message reached Dragonstone before the message of Robb dying!?)

We finally finally find out who Ramsay is so that's good. OF COURSE I much prefered the book origin for "Reek" rather than just "you smell bad."

Davos and Gendry scenes were good...maybe didn't feel like "seaosn finale" scenes but WHATEVER AGAIN. Stannis still comes across as too evil. I didn't like him CACKLING when Davos was saved. In the book it was his decision to go to the Wall and he thanked Davos for reminding him of his duty to the realm...in the show he just does whatever Mel says.

Why didn't they just have Ygriette shoot Jon as he was escaping (as she does in the book) rather than have her use Littlefinger's Magical Transporter to suddenly appear next to Jon and shoot him?

I liked the Arya going psycho scene.

Tyrion/Tywin is always good. I did think Joffrey was a bit...much in that scene though. Don't know.

I thought Tyrion telling Sansa what happened would have been a good scene but I guess they didn't have time.

SO YEAH I think they could have done this episode better.

Cock

Let's be making sexy business
So, no Cold Hands/Uncle Benjin.

No Strong Belwas

No Eddric Storm.

I begin to wonder if the tv show will have and effect on what GRR does with books 6 and 7.

CaptainWacky

HERE IS MY QUICK RECAP of book Reek for anyone who is interesting. All of this happens in book 2, when Bran is the Lord of Winterfell. It's also woth noting that Meera and Jojen were staying in Winterfell then too. ANYWAY.

Ramsay Snow, the bastard of Bolton, is well known in Winterfell for being an evil shit. His constant companion is a servant named Reek, who is said to never bathe and to be as sadistic as Ramsay himself. There's rumours that they even hunt peasant girls together for sport. Roose claims that he and Ramsay are estranged.
Ramsay kidnaps Lady Hornwood and forces her to marry him, then calls himself the Lord of Hornwood. She starves to death.
Ser Rodrik and his men hunt down Ramsay and Reek. They seemingly kill Ramsay and capture Reek. Reek is thrown in the dungeon in Winterfell.
Theon takes Winterfell as in the show. Reek promises to serve him so Theon releases him from the dungeon.
Theon hunts for the escaped Bran and Rickon with Reek. It's Reek who encourages him to kill the orphan boys and pass them off as Bran and Rickon.
Ser Rodrik and his men return to Winterfell after fighting the IronBorn somewhere or something and surround it. Theon's in trouble. Reek says he has friends who can help so a desperate Theon lets him leave Winterfell, not really expecting to see him again.
The Bolton men arrive and turn against Ser Rodrik's men. They ride into the castle, led by Reek...
Reek reveals that he's really Ramsay! He swapped places with Reek when he was being hunted down and has been pretending to be Reek ever since. His men kill the IronBorn and set Winterfell to the torch, probably just for fun. He captures Theon...
In book 3 we don't see Theon at all and only know he's still alive because Ramsay sends his flayed skin to Robb.
When we meet Theon again it's revealed that Ramsay has been torturing him all this time to turn him into his new Reek to replace the dead Reek.

ANYWAY I just think it works better when Theon and Ramsay already have this established relationship where "Reek" was once Theon's servant who was actually manipulating him all along and there's more to it than just what I've typed but it's getting late!

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
After the violence and awesomeness of the last episode, I can't quite say the word I'm looking for is disappointed with the season finale. More like a bit of a letdown.

Still a great episode.

Ah, Arya...GIRL YOU'LL BE A WOMAN SOOOOOOOOON

I was watching this with some friends and they thought Ramsay might be eating Theon's dick when they showed the pork sausage. It was a nice little transition.

Varys' face when Joffrey is having his titty fit: Priceless.

Poor Tyrion/Sansa. She was just starting to warm up to him. FUCKING LANNISTERS (except for Tyrion, of course).

CaptainWacky

He had expected anguish and anger when he told her of her brother's death, but Sansa's face had remained so still that for a moment he feared she had not understood. It was only later, with a heavy oaken door between them, that he heard her sobbing. Tyrion had considered going to her then, to offer what comfort he could. No, he had to remind himself, she will not look for solace from a Lannister. The most he could do was to shield her from the uglier details of the Red Wedding as they came down from the Twins. Sansa did not need to hear how her brother's body had been hacked and mutilated, he decided; nor how her mother's corpse had been dumped naked into the Green Fork in a savage mockery of House Tully's funeral customs. The last thing the girl needed was more fodder for her nightmares.

It was not enough, though. He had wrapped his cloak around her shoulders and sworn to protect her, but that was as cruel a jape as the crown the Freys had placed atop the head of Robb Stark's direwolf after they'd sewn it onto his headless corpse. Sansa knew that as well. The way she looked at him, her stiffness when she climbed into their bed . . . when he was with her, never for an instant could he forget who he was, or what he was. No more than she did. She still went nightly to the godswood to pray, and Tyrion wondered if she were praying for his death. She had lost her home, her place in the world, and everyone she had ever loved or trusted. Winter is coming, warned the Stark words, and truly it had come for them with a vengeance. But it is high summer for House Lannister. So why am I so bloody cold?

JUST POSTING BOOK QUOTES Y'ALL

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Wow, I really have to read the books.

It was a good episode, but the only letdown was the closing scene. In one sense it was nice to end on a cheerful, uplifting note, but it didn't have the feeling of momentum that last year's did. It didn't offer up anything new or surprising, instead it was more or less a repetition of what we'd seen throughout this season with Dany. There was even a similar shot at the end of the episode where she gets the Unsullied, only much more impressive than this one.

Anyway, great Tywin/Tyrion.

It was nice seeing Sansa making the best of her marriage and actually seeming relatively happy... for a time.

Joffrey was a bit much, but he always is. Of all the characters he's always the most caricaturish. It's because of the guy's face as much as anything.

Cersei and Jaime being reunited was very understated.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO PETER DINKLAGE! MY HOW YOU'VE GROWN LOLOLOLOL!

(Don't mind me, carry on...)

CaptainWacky

Supporting Actor: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington
Supporting Actress: Emilia Clarke, Natalie Dormer, Michelle Fairley, Lena Headey, Sibel Kekilli
Guest Performer: Ciarán Hinds, Diana Rigg
Director: Alex Graves (And Now His Watch Is Ended), David Nutter (The Rains Of Castamere), Dan Minahan (Valar Dohaeris), David Benioff & D.B. Weiss (Walk Of Punishment)
Writing: David Benioff & D.B. Weiss (The Rains of Castamere)
Cinematography: Anette Haellmigk (And Now His Watch Is Ended), Rob McLachlan (Mhysa), Chris Seager (The Bear And The Maiden Fair), David Katznelson (The Climb), Jonathan Freeman (Valar Dohaeris), Matthew Jensen (Walk Of Punishment)
Editing: Katie Weiland (And Now His Watch Is Ended), Frances Parker (Dark Wings, Dark Words), Oral Ottey (The Rains Of Castamere)
Art Direction: Valar Dohaeris, Kissed By Fire
Costumes: Walk of Punishment
Hair: Second Sons
Makeup: Kissed By Fire
Makeup (Prosthetic): Valar Dohaeris
Sound Editing: And Now His Watch Is Ended
Stunt Coordination: Kissed By Fire
The full series was also submitted in the Drama and Casting categories.

That's their emmy submissions...why the fuck would they submit Sibel Kekilli (Shae) but not Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner (and Rose Leslie actually)!? No Charles Dance? Ciarán Hinds for guest star when he was pretty generic as Mance, but not Gwendoline Christie? I DON'T GET THINGS.