Game Of Thrones 3.2 'Dark Wings, Dark Words'

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Sansa says too much. Shae asks Tyrion for a favor. Jaime finds a way to pass the time. Arya runs into the Brotherhood Without Banners.

I think one "problem" with this episode is going to be that it'll almost feel like the season premiere again as it has to re-introduce characters not seen last week (Bran, Jaime/Brienne, Arya) while also introducing new characters (REED ALERT.)

But should be good!

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
I agree with the extended season premiere part. Luckily HBO was able to make the shows just a few minutes longer this season, but not able to do shows twice as long as usual.

I'm just hoping Arya's story doesn't suck.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
IT'S FERB

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
BRIENNE AND JAIME! I love them.

It was all good. I kind of dread Theon's storyline.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
BRIENNE AND JAIME! I love them.

It was all good. I kind of dread Theon's storyline.

I don't dread it. Theon is a wussy little dick and deserves whatever is coming to him. I'm glad his rescue by his sister probably won't go smoothly and/or be sucessful.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
I have watched that final scene over and over again today. Her face when she's just standing there waiting for him to get up and attack her again, it's like "Really dude?"

CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE OF THEM I LOVE THEIR RELATIONSHIP IN THE BOOK

I don't remember Arya being that cowed by the dude right before The Hound walked in. Her Dancing Master would have been disappointed.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Natalie Dormer is really doing Margaery justice. The way she plays Joffrey's arrogance is so GOOD. I loved the Sansa scenes with her too.

CaptainWacky

Diana Rigg was perfect. Natalie Dormer continues to impress. It's always nice but then heartbreaking to see Sansa happy for a moment. But I did miss Buttburps.

"Margaery can use it for her wedding dress. Should be enough fabric."

Cat's monologue was well acted...I don't know about Cat blaming herself for everything just because she didn't love Jon Snow though. That's a bit much...

The Tyrion scene kind of felt like they just want to have Peter Dinklage in every episode.

Why would Thoros be singing The Rains Of Castomere? There's more than one song! Paul Kaye was good though!

Jojen and Meera were good.

I hate it when I learn I've been pronouncing a word wrong for years. In this case "warg". How was I supposed to know it sounded like "wog"?

I did miss Dany.

Brienne/Jaime fight was good but felt a bit short. I remember IN THE BOOK they went over the bridge and ended up fighting in the river and he nearly drowned her but she beat him up with a rock.

ALSO I wonder if that cliffhanger really works for non book readers or if they're just thinking "why do I care that Robb recaptured Jaime, I like Robb and don't like Jaime anyway"?

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
I like the new designation "Lord-Oaf."

CaptainWacky

I hope they cast someone suitably comical as Mace Tyrell. Hugh Laurie in Prince George mode maybe.

CaptainWacky

I forgot to mention BRAN'S EYEBROWS.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Bran's eyebrows indeed. So how long is this supposed to be since season 2 ended? Sounded like Jaime said he'd been wearing the same shoes for a year, but I can't remember how far into the last season he was captured.

Totes agree about Cat. I know her emotions would be all over the place right now, but it sounded like she'd had the thought about her being to blame for everything for some time. That claim spoilt an otherwise good scene.

I would've expected Arya to put up a lot more of a fight. Maybe she's just rusty.

Diana Rigg and her face lifting headdress performed well.

Yeah, the cliffhangery ending didn't seem very cliffhangery to this non-book reader. I liked the fight, though.

CaptainWacky

Jaime was actually captured at the end of season one. A year since then would probably feel about right? I don't know if there's really much time between seasons two and three, despite Bran's eyebrows and Sansa now being eight feet tall. I guess you just have to accept them aging a bit too fast. It's better than recasting or giving them the Walt treatment...

Arya isn't used to fighting with a full-sized sword like that (Needle was a rapier) and she IS just a child still. Thoros is supposed to be a really skilled swordsman too (he fights in lots of tourneys at King's Landing which is how The Hound knows him.)

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Dammit... this episode made me feel empathy for Sansa. Both her scene with Shae and the one Margaery and her grandmother were well done. It showed that Sansa just needs a female ally and outlet for her terror and fear. She hesitantly jumped at the chance to call Joffrey a monster. Seemed a bit too easy for Olenna to coax the info out of her tho. "Hi, I just met you. Please say all of the things you've been afraid to say about Joffrey to me, because you can trust me completely and you won't be killed for calling Joffrey names."

Margaery's scene with Joffrey and the crossbow smacked of Dexter and (insert any of his psychopath girlfriends here). She was both sizing him up and playing to his psychopathy. The glint in his eye when she mentioned "pulling your finger here and watching something die over there" was cute, but kinda overplayed her playing him like a fiddle.

Is it just me, or does Arya attract every neutral player in the game... and they're always "guys without stuff" (Brotherhood without banners, faceless men, etc).

As a critique on the swordplay, that's not a disarming move that Thoros performed. If it were a true disarming move he would've swept from top right to bottom left and we would have seen the sword fly off the left side of the screen. All he did was smack the sword with a beat attack. While I can take the sword's weight into account (longer and not as balanced as the smaller blade she trained with), if she can lift it and hit something with it, that beat attack should not have disarmed her. Caught her off guard? Yes. Completely disarm and demoralize? No. Lame...

Anyway...

Arya has been changed from a spirited young girl to loudmouth who should learn when to shut up. How is it, all of a sudden, that EVERYONE can tell she's a girl when she had hair just an inch or two shorter, and everyone thought she was a boy? WTF?

This next episode where the BWoB "captures" her for ransom better pan the fuck out, or I'm gonna get pissed.

So, uh... Gendry... totally useful character... :phprolleyes:

Wacky, how were you pronouncing warg before? I think the saxon pronunciation they're giving it is off, but whatever. "YOU'VE NEVER MET A WARG BEFORE!?"

I really hope Ygritte's ribbing of Jon doesn't continue down that road. "You've never seen X before!?" gets tired after about two or three uses. I still wanna see her boobs tho. Only hot redhead in the show... or in sci-fi tv for that matter. Without my regular dose of Gillan, I'm getting withdrawal.

Blah, blah, Cat's depressed, morbid, and superstitious. WE KNEW THIS ALREADY!

Hooray for midget bj's!

Jojen is.... I haven't decided yet. Not enough time on-screen. Not sure how Osha's religion is gonna handle Brand being a warg. First, they were demon-dreams, now they're omens? Wha..?

I'm out.
8935.imgcache.png

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Oh, I forgot. Another place you can hear "warg" pronounced is in LotR:TTT. That pronunciation is more accurate, imo.

CaptainWacky

Tywin could tell she was a girl. No one else really bothered to look I guess.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
^ I suppose. It's just weird and a bit of a continuity problem, imo.

Anyone else enjoy Jaime and Brienne's time together? They seemed to be the axis of this episode: lots of comic relief.

It's much-needed, because this is going to be one very depressing season, what with the Red Wedding and all the deaths we see besides that.