Game Of Thrones 3.6 'The Climb'

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Tywin plans strategic unions for the Lannisters. Melisandre visits the Riverlands. Robb weighs a compromise to repair his alliance with House Frey. Roose Bolton decides what to do with Jaime Lannister. Jon, Ygritte and the Wildlings face a daunting climb.

Should be good.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I hope the wind doesn't blow tonight and put the evil tree branch in front of my satellite :rwmad:

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
DID YOU WATCH IT CASSIE?????

I liked this episode. I thought the climbing was really well done and Jon Snow even showed a couple of emotions for a while there.

PLUS we got a scene between Diana Rigg and Charles Dance and that's fantastic.

Poor Sansa. :(

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I WATCHED IT!

It was good. I could do without the Theon scenes, tbh. ALSO, I wonder why the writers find it necessary to make all the females characters hate each other. Osha and Meera should have more sense than to fight all the time. GIRLS ARE DUMB seems to be the message.

Should we feel bad that Ros is dead? Did we need another reminder that Joffrey is terrible?

Loved the wall stuff. The whole time I couldn't remember if Ygritte dies so I was afraid she would die.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I like Jon and Ygritte as a couple. Yeah, he still didn't do much emoting, but to be fair to the actor, he gets hardly any lines. Ygritte will rattle on for ages and then he just says "yeah" or something. There's not much opportunity to shine.

Charles Dance and Diana Rigg together. Excellent.

Ah, so that was Ros at the end. I didn't really get why they decided to show that, but at least you can all stop complaining about Ros scenes. ;) Unless next week's is just everyone hunting for Ros and yelling "Ros!" and eventually a massive funeral as mourners console eachother over the loss of their beloved Ros.

Must admit my attention is starting to wane a little for this show. The individual scenes are always great, but the constant jumping around... it's like there's no focus to it. Also, as an archery expert, I was dismayed at the inaccuracies concerning Arya's use of the bow.

CaptainWacky

I don't know if there's anything they can do about the jumping about...if they did more episodes with just one storyline (like Blackwater last season) then people would complain about not seeing their favourite every week (like the hundreds of "WHERES KHALEESI AND HER DRAGONS!?" tweets this week)...there are some big moments where that could work though. Remember when they said the episodes were going to be longer this season? They don't really feel like it.

The Jon scenes were his best scenes this season so that was good. The climbing looked good. Not sure if we're supposed to think only the four of them made it at the end...how will that work when they're supposed to attack Castle Black?

The Tywin/Olenna scene was good AS EXPECTED. I wish they'd cut down the "LORAS IS GAY LOL" stuff a bit.

Sophie Turner always does a great job showing Sansa's turmoil but the marriage stuff is feeling a bit stretched out...I liked how they did it in the book where she didn't know about the wedding ahead of time and Cersei took her out shopping for a dress and she suddenly got scared because Cersei was being nice to her and realised what was happening and tried to run...basically the books are better in every way lol.

I like the Theon scenes because the actor playing "Boy" (as we must continue to call him) does a great job, but yeah they don't really need to keep showing Theon being tortured when it isn't progressing the plot...there's a reason all of this was flashbacks in the book.

AND YES CASSIE I was going to make a sexism complaint about the Osha/Meera part...as far as I remember they got on perfectly well in the book. The show writers just seem to be falling back on the "women hate each other" trope (is that a trope? Probably) whereas GRRM was always good at subverting things like that. At least we got a "Hodor".

I liked the scenes with Mel and Thoros as they were well acted and gave Thoros' backstory...I hope Gendry ends up where he's supposed to end up though...

The Blackfish is cool.

SO ROS...obviously a lot of people dislike the character because she was a cypher, just there to be naked during exposition...then taking screentime away from more popular characters. I don't know how to feel about her death. Was it an attempt at fan service? Were we supposed to cheer her death because she was unpopular? Or were the writers saying "well you wanted her dead so here she is dead in a horrible way YOU SICK FUCKS"? I can't really imagine Joffrey going to Littlefinger and saying "I want to shoot a woman to death, make that happen!" either.

STILL GOOD THOUGH.

CaptainWacky

5.5 million viewers, a new record high! (I don't know why I post the ratings every week sorry.)

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
Littlefinger gets hammier and hammier as the season goes on.

CaptainWacky

I'm not entirely sure but I THINK the show wants me to know he's devious and evil!

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
I don't know if that cartoon-villain monologue and the dead whore right before the end of the episode were enough to convey that!

Yub

Anachrophobic
Okay, I'm just about done with GOT.

Little departures from the book to further or expedite storyline is just fine. WHY IS THE RED WOMAN TAKING GENDRY? WTF?! Every show based on a book does this, takes a 90 degree turn at some point and slowly the story goes shit. STICK TO THE FORMAT YOU BUDGIEPUNCHERS. Littlefinger's bullshit is also beyond ridiculous.

The only decent thing this week was Diana Rigg putting Loras in the Kingsguard exactly where she wanted him, with Tywin oblivious he'd been outplayed.

Of course everyone needed a reminder Joffrey is terrible
he's about to die

Cock

Let's be making sexy business
is credited on the Game of Thrones TV series as a producer and consultant. He has written the scripts for the eighth episode of the first season, the ninth episode of the second season, seventh episode of the third season and the second episode of the fourth season.[1] It is planned that he will write one episode per season of the show.

I did not know this information. I will have to rewatch those past episodes.

Cock

Let's be making sexy business
Okay, I'm just about done with GOT.

Little departures from the book to further or expedite storyline is just fine. WHY IS THE RED WOMAN TAKING GENDRY? WTF?! Every show based on a book does this, takes a 90 degree turn at some point and slowly the story goes shit. STICK TO THE FORMAT YOU BUDGIEPUNCHERS. Littlefinger's bullshit is also beyond ridiculous.

The only decent thing this week was Diana Rigg putting Loras in the Kingsguard exactly where she wanted him, with Tywin oblivious he'd been outplayed.

Of course everyone needed a reminder Joffrey is terrible
he's about to die

Word. To all of that. Gendry now will also play Eddrick Storm.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
I'm going to admit I could give two fucks about Jon Snow. And I think that's Kit's fault. His Loreal commercial acting is beginning to grate and he's just boring.

Although it never happens in the book, I like the scene between Arya and the Witch. But haven't a clue what they trying to do with Gendry.

And was Cersai actually feeling sorry for Sansa? That was a first.

CaptainWacky

Well she also suggested having both Sansa and Loras killed.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Finally caught up to this last night.

Osha and Meera scene: complete 180 from their female empowerment schtick. Yes, wacky, women being catty with eachother IS a trope. See: any soap opera ever made.

I've skinned rabbits and deer in my life. NEVER did they make that fingers-on-a-baloon noise. It made the scene hard to stomach.

Theon scene: attempt to play the guessing game with the tv-only fans, with more gore. Frankly, the gore this episode was out of control and over the top. I'll go more into this in a second.

Thoros, the Red Witch, Arya, and Gendry... WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!? Well, here goes that fun bit with Gendry becoming a cool character I guess. The predictions by Red with Arry are odd, but OMG MORE OMINOUS OMENS OF THINGS TO COME BECAUSE THESE PEOPLE AREN'T D&D CLERIC RIPOFFS AT ALL, NOPE!

What the fuck was with the resurrection scars and makeup? Why, if a god can bring someone back to life, can't he at least make the scars more palatable? Did you see the leper-like boil-filled scar on his neck? This is the makeup department saying, "we don't get to play with as much latex as other sci-fi or fantasy shows! WAAAAAH!" It wasn't even that good. I think it might also have been the producers' attempt at a "best makeup award" bid. Even the forehead aliens on Defiance are WAY better. They should stick to their forte: costumes, location backdrops, and production design.

The rest of the show was rather lame. Everyone else has said what needs to be said of Littlefinger's elongated "cartoon villain" "chaos as ladder" metaphor.

What nobody else pointed out was the visual simile(?) of Ygritte finally seeing her world from the top of the wall, then Jon showing her his world. It was subtle but in my eyes, kinda cheesy.

Ros is dead and Joffrey is a tool. Well, the only thing that this reminded me of, which needed reminding I think, was that playing the "Game of Thrones" can be fatal, and there are pawns to sacrifice. I'd rather interpret it like that, than fan service.

Tywin and Olenna were the acting highlight. The quiet moment with Tyrion and Cersei was enjoyable. If only for them finally acting like a brother and sister who tolerate each other for a common goal.

Nobody else noticed that Jaime was "failing at dinner" on purpose? If they separate Brienne and Jaime, I'm gonna get mad.

So looking forward to the Red Wedding and the deaths of Tywin and Joffrey. Fun times.