Game of Thrones: Book 1st, then HBO show?

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
Ok, so I purchased Game of Thrones for the Kindle just before I went on vacation. Didn't have a ton of time to read it, so I'm about 25% complete (at least according to the Kindle).

I also just d/l the entire first season of the HBO show. So, should I finish the book first, then watch the show? Or can I keep reading while I watch? Honestly, between nightly baseball games and all of my summer shows (Covert Affairs, Leverage, Falling Skies, Nine Lives of Chloe King...you get the picture) it's not like I don't have stuff to watch.

So, should I finish the book over the next month or so, then watch the series??

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
Ok, so I purchased Game of Thrones for the Kindle just before I went on vacation. Didn't have a ton of time to read it, so I'm about 25% complete (at least according to the Kindle).

I also just d/l the entire first season of the HBO show. So, should I finish the book first, then watch the show? Or can I keep reading while I watch? Honestly, between nightly baseball games and all of my summer shows (Covert Affairs, Leverage, Falling Skies, Nine Lives of Chloe King...you get the picture) it's not like I don't have stuff to watch.

So, should I finish the book over the next month or so, then watch the series??

Read the book first, then you can bitch about how you don't like the stuff in the show that is different from the books.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I've seen the series and read a bit of the book (for eyes) the other day and I think I prefer having a picture and tone of voice already in my head for the characters. It's nice to read a scene you remember from the show, but have the extra added details. It's like an extended cut of an episode. If I was reading the book first then I'd probably be annoyed at the show missing things out, and characters not appearing as I expected.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
ON THE OTHER HAND, having read the book first let me appreciate some of the more subtle moments and references on the show that might have been missed if I didn't know the background. Plus I already know everyone's name so I'm not saying "oooh, that guy is THAT guy's brother" in episode seven.

But there's arguments both ways, so just do what you want!

CaptainWacky

ON THE OTHER HAND, having read the book first let me appreciate some of the more subtle moments and references on the show that might have been missed if I didn't know the background. Plus I already know everyone's name so I'm not saying "oooh, that guy is THAT guy's brother" in episode seven.

But there's arguments both ways, so just do what you want!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Well, it's not like I've really read much of it. According to the book (for eyes) I was 20 "pages" into it when I put it back on the shelf and left Waterstones.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I read the book a long time ago, so I never notice when something is missing from the show.. but from what I've read online the show is sticking close to the books most of the time, and only veering off when they need to explain things to the viewing audience that you'd normally get from someone's thoughts in the book OR SOMETHING.

Finish reading the book if you're enjoying it, IMO... you've got almost a year before the next season so you've got plenty of time to catch up.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
^^Well, that makes sense, since the next season won't be for a year, I'll finish the book first. I thought for sure season 2 would be in production now since it got picked up after episode 1 aired.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
They are casting and getting everyone back together. I'm not sure if they've started actual production yet, but if not then they will soon. I think season 2 will be about the same time of year as season 1 MAYBE, I don't knwo.

ENJOY GAME OF THRONES! It is really a great book, and you've got 4 more after that to keep you in the universe.

CaptainWacky

Season two starts filming this month. It'll air probably starting April next year, the same as season one, which is normal of any tv show!