Goodbye Vista.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Release Candidate 1 for Win7 was leaked today so that is finally my cue to reformat and use Win7 as my main operating system.

I have had a short dabble with Win7 in a Virtual Machine but I've been holding off from making my move before a RC was out.

Sure, there may be some bugs lurking around in the code but I can live with that. A RC is complete enough to start using full time as far as I'm concerned. I did the same with Vista and XP and the house never blew up when trying to open notepad.

Vista, it's been a bumpy ride but you were not anywhere near as bad as people liked to say. But the time has come to leave you now for newer and shinier things. I like shiny things, Vista. And you are not it.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Will drivers work with a Win7 beta at this point?

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. Everything should work. The RC is, as the name suggests, a candidate for release. That means that should no serious bugs be found then it could end up being the boxed version.

That's unlikely to happen though and they will keep tweaking bits and bobs for a while yet but it is complete from a feature standpoint.

Windows 7 hasn't changed much in the builds released for months now. Which tends to indicate that they were at an advanced stage a good while back.

Windows 7 still uses Vista's architecture (don't let that fool you in to thinking it's a minor release though) so everything will be compatible if it works with Vista now.

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
Does it get rid of the dying IE finally?

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Comes bundled with IE8. Though Win7 does give you a much greater control of what features to add or not add during install.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
Can anyone help me with my Vic 20? It's been running pretty slowly lately.

Thanks!

This thread is made of awesomeness.

I have been a big Vista hater. If I may take a moment to share my least favorite thing about Vista, it is that by DEFAULT, your soundcard "enriches" the audio inputs you hook up to it. So, if you're using a wired device to input to a computer with Vista, via the soundcard, it's doing you the "favor" of "enriching" that audio.

It seriously took me two weeks to track down the source of that "tinny" sound in my recordings, so the goat-fucking kid-rapers at Microsoft can eat my shit! I steal all your applications from now on, Gates!

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Well I am now running Windows 7. Spent most of the day organizing and installing programs and tweaking things to get them just the way I like them.

It's very similar to Vista with a few obvious changes all for the best. But it's what's under the hood that makes the difference. It is very quick. Everything from booting up to browsing the net is noticeably faster and smoother.

I likes it.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Won't it just slow down in a couple of months?

Ishcabittle

hope not - i've been loving it so far, and it would suck if it started back down that old road of slowing as it ages.

i have not witnessed that behavior, though. it has been snappy snappy snappy, build after build. thanks for the RC1 links, installing now.