Hey Caitriona! I gotta question for ya!

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
I was watching an LPGA event this weekend (no, I'm not a lesbian, just a complete golf addict), and there's a golfer who was in contention all weekend whose name is "Catriona Matthews". Now, they kept pronouncing her name "Katrina". So, I was wondering, is that how you pronounce your name?

:)

Shatna

SOINT PLUT!
No, she pronounces hers "Ziggy".

Big Dick McGee

So, then, your name is pronounced "Dagwood"?

The Call Of Nature

Saint (what else!)
lets make a game of this :) who will guess the pronounciation correctly?

I say it's pronounced approximately "Ky-tree-oh-nah"

Big Dick McGee

Well, the traditional Irish pronouciation is "ka-tree-na" or Katrina. I happen to know this because I was looking at Irish names when we found out my wife was pregnant in 2004.

"Caitriona", IIRC, is the Irish version of Catherine, more or less.

The Call Of Nature

Saint (what else!)
which name did you chose, finally? I'm just curious :)

EnglishRose

addle barn
I've always pronounced Cait 'Keet'

Big Dick McGee

The Call Of Nature said:
which name did you chose, finally? I'm just curious :)

Well, we had a son, so we named him "Scott". Not really Irish, but there are too many "Sean"s in my family!

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
I've always pronounced Caitriona as Kate-ree-AHN-ah.

Caitriona

Something Wicked
Big Dick McGee said:
Well, the traditional Irish pronouciation is "ka-tree-na" or Katrina. I happen to know this because I was looking at Irish names when we found out my wife was pregnant in 2004.

"Caitriona", IIRC, is the Irish version of Catherine, more or less.

Rae is right about how you pronounce "Cait" [Keet]

Caitriona is a Gaelic version of Catherine. In Irish is is pronounced like BDM suggests. But I am Scottish, so you put a surly Scottish accent on the first syllable and it becomes "Keet-ree-ona" or "Keet-ree-na" [kaitrina] It's all a matter of accent.

It actually is pronounced like BDM suggests by most people in my life, BUT my aunts in Scotland pronounce it the way it is intended.

To get the full effect you have to draw the first syllable out quite a bit, the way Scots are pone to do. So Cait really is Kate.. is just become Kaaeeeeeeeet, Caitriona becomes "Kaeeeet-ree-na" when a Scotsman says it. :bigass:

"Keet" for short, but most people just call me Kate. I answer to both.

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
I'll just call you sexalicious.

Kyehlar

You Fox Eared Asshole!
Intriguing. I learned a new fact!

Reminds me of the time I tried to pronounce Senar, and heard her screech when I said it wrong.

Big Dick McGee

Caitriona said:
Rae is right about how you pronounce "Cait" [Keet]

Caitriona is a Gaelic version of Catherine. In Irish is is pronounced like BDM suggests. But I am Scottish, so you put a surly Scottish accent on the first syllable and it becomes "Keet-ree-ona" or "Keet-ree-na" [kaitrina] It's all a matter of accent.

It actually is pronounced like BDM suggests by most people in my life, BUT my aunts in Scotland pronounce it the way it is intended.

To get the full effect you have to draw the first syllable out quite a bit, the way Scots are pone to do. So Cait really is Kate.. is just become Kaaeeeeeeeet, Caitriona becomes "Kaeeeet-ree-na" when a Scotsman says it. :bigass:

"Keet" for short, but most people just call me Kate. I answer to both.

Very interesting! Thanks for the answer!