Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hey saintlucifer

TK Dualinator said:
I'm calling you out on this

http://www.trollkingdom.com/forum/showpost.php?p=720408&postcount=22

You were presented with some of hte finest art created by humanity, and tried to counter it with pictures of barnyard animals

The british empire was an empire but it has nothing against ancient Roman and Greek culture, because they created culture and all the tommy's did was extract tribute

Psst? Where can most Roman and Greek artifacts be found? Great Britain. Now shush little girl.

Uhhh.... No.

While The UK did take artifacts from Italy and Greece, the vast majority of Greek and Roman artifacts can still be found in Greece and Itally

TK Dualinator said:
what are you talking about? if celtic emblems are on display in China, that means they created them?

Where did I state that the British created the Roman and Greek artifacts? I merely stated they had possession of them.

Dark Link said:
Uhhh.... No.

While The UK did take artifacts from Italy and Greece, the vast majority of Greek and Roman artifacts can still be found in Greece and Itally

Really? This is why both the Italian and Greek governments have petitioned their artifacts be released to their custody? Most curious. I could have sworn... oh but never mind.

SaintLucifer said:
Where did I state that the British created the Roman and Greek artifacts? I merely stated they had possession of them.
you're backpedalling from the original point. You tried to say in that thread that british culture is better or somethings and showed barnyard animal pictures. where the artifacts has nothing to do with the culture creators anymore than what color casing is used to protect them

british conquered much of the world, but greeks and romans PWn culturally

forever

SaintLucifer said:
Really? This is why both the Italian and Greek governments have petitioned their artifacts be released to their custody? Most curious. I could have sworn... oh but never mind.

Yes funny indeed seeing as how most of the things being asked for back are things that were stolen, like the Elgin Marbles which belong on top of the Parthenon.

But the amount of things stolen by britian doesn't even come close to the amount of objects still in Greece and Italy.

Dont talk history with an Archaeologist without first understanding basic history.

And Moron, if you still claim Britian has a whole lot of Roman artifacts, then I have 2 names for you.

Pompeii and Herculaneum.

Everyday archarologists find more artifacts, houses and surviving artwork then they know what to do with.

Dark Link said:
And Moron, if you still claim Britian has a whole lot of Roman artifacts, then I have 2 names for you.

Pompeii and Herculaneum.

Everyday archarologists find more artifacts, houses and surviving artwork then they know what to do with.

It is a point of controversy whether museums should be allowed to possess artifacts taken from other countries, and the British Museum is a notable target for criticism. The Elgin Marbles and the Benin Bronzes are among its most disputed collections, and organisations have been formed demanding the return of both sets of artifacts to their native countries of Greece and Nigeria respectively.

The British Museum has refused to return either set, or any of its other disputed items, stating that the "restitutionist premise, that whatever was made in a country must return to an original geographical site, would empty both the British Museum and the other great museums of the world".[1] The Museum has also argued that the British Museum Act of 1963 legally prevents it from selling any of its valuable artifacts, even the ones not on display. Critics have particularly argued against the right of the British Museum to own objects which it does not share with the public.

Supporters of the Museum claim that it has provided protection for artifacts that may have otherwise been damaged or destroyed if they had been left in their original environments. While some critics have accepted this, they also argue that the artifacts should now be returned to their countries of origin if there is sufficient expertise and desire there to preserve them.

The British Museum continues to assert that it is an appropriate custodian and has an inalienable right to its disputed artifacts under British law.

*blows you a kiss*

SaintLucifer said:
I was merely attempting to seek out where it was said the British own the largest collection of classical antiquities in the entire world.

"Psst? Where can most Roman and Greek artifacts be found? Great Britain. Now shush little girl."

so you mean to say that there are currently more artifacts in the tommy museum, than in the entire world.

good call :gagh:

He's got the vocabulary of a tenured professor coupled to the mental faculties of a freshman. He is in phases comically stupid, obnoxious, pitiable and disgusting.

Ladies and gentlemen, somewhere in Canada, a man has taught a St. Bernard not only to read, but to type.

SaintLucifer said:
It is a point of controversy whether museums should be allowed to possess artifacts taken from other countries, and the British Museum is a notable target for criticism. The Elgin Marbles and the Benin Bronzes are among its most disputed collections, and organisations have been formed demanding the return of both sets of artifacts to their native countries of Greece and Nigeria respectively.

The British Museum has refused to return either set, or any of its other disputed items, stating that the "restitutionist premise, that whatever was made in a country must return to an original geographical site, would empty both the British Museum and the other great museums of the world".[1] The Museum has also argued that the British Museum Act of 1963 legally prevents it from selling any of its valuable artifacts, even the ones not on display. Critics have particularly argued against the right of the British Museum to own objects which it does not share with the public.

Supporters of the Museum claim that it has provided protection for artifacts that may have otherwise been damaged or destroyed if they had been left in their original environments. While some critics have accepted this, they also argue that the artifacts should now be returned to their countries of origin if there is sufficient expertise and desire there to preserve them.

The British Museum continues to assert that it is an appropriate custodian and has an inalienable right to its disputed artifacts under British law.

*blows you a kiss*

And yet in that entire thing, the truth about what the British Museum actully did to the marbles is never mentioned.

In the 1800's Lord Elgin paid the Turks, who were ruling Greece at the time, significant amounts of money and began to remove treasures from Greece by the Boatload. Bare in mind that there was no greek voice in this decision at all. His crowning achievement in stupidity was the removal of the Pediment sculptures and most of the medopie frieze from the Parthenon.

Why? Didn't he do the right thing by removing them before they were further destroied by nature?

No. As Elgin set to remove the Marbles from the Pediment, he did a significant amount of damage to the pediment as the marbles needed to be chiseled out of their respetive areas. When He removed the Medopie frieze, they had to be torn and chiseled off, destroying major parts of the Medopie.

When the Sculpture was brought back to England, the Museum spent months upon months scraping the sculptures so that they appeared more white, as they believed they should be. For some stupid ass reason, common thought back in that day was that all the marble used in Temples and sculptures was always white. This is not true. They were white after all the paint had eroded away. This scraping by the idiots of the museum not only destroyed any evidence of paint that was once on the sculptures, but also did irreparable damage to them.

Also, a tragic accident occured even before Elgin started his dumbass removal. After winning a decisive battle, a venitian tried removing the West pediment sculptures. The pulley system they were using broke and an entire group of life sized pediment sculpture shattered against the ground.

Should artifacts that were given away during the reign of the turks be given back? Yes, because Britain had no right to ask the Turks for control of something that was not theirs to give.

th_futurama_bender.jpg

What's the matter Lucy, pugio got your tongue?

I told you not to start with history, especially considering my speciality is in Greek and Roman history.

If you would like to continue to talk about Art History ethics, then by all means grab a shovel, because you will just be digging yourself into a hole.

Same people who start talking about cars and automotive related issues when that's my specialty....they shouldn't even go there.