Holy shit, Trekbbs is fucking dead!

Parallaxis

beer, I want beer
I didn't even realize how bad it was until I started posting over there. It's like early-days-of-wordforge level traffic. Threads just sit for days with one or two replies.

I'm in shock that it's fallen off so hard. As I'm typing this, even https://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/ has more members online than all of Trekbbs. I knew Reddit killed most forums but I would have thought TrekBBS could have held onto it's community.

StarMan™

27 posts in the last hour (8 of which are in the TNZ).

I go thru spurts with the place. When SNW was airing I posted more frequently. Still check in most days, but I seem to have switched back to lurk mode. It's definitely going through a quieter period ATM.

When new live-action Trek is airing there's an uptick in activity, which benefits other sub-fora. But it appears to drop off over the next month or so.

As you already alluded to, nowadays when most people seek out communities to engage with, they do so via reddit or social media. That's why the core of BBS communities (be it here, TrekBBS or WF) are made up of members who were participating pre-social media / Reddit (at least before Reddit was a big deal). At TrekBBS, there are plenty of mayflies who register to offer a single opinion, hang around for a bit before losing interest / getting scared off, or simply burn out by being obnoxious and lighting up on Bonnie's radar. Only a tiny handful of newbies stick around to become established members.

I'd be a bit sad if the board ever shut down. It's been a constant in my life for 23 or so years, even if most of the time I only pop my head in for 10 minutes and lurk.

Did you know TrekToday died? I dunno what happened there. I think whoever was charged with running it just stopped turning up.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
I never posted there. I do remember when some of their members tried to war with us, but that was like late 2005. I do like Tbonz (I think) although I don't know her very well.

Parallaxis

beer, I want beer
Did you know TrekToday died? I dunno what happened there. I think whoever was charged with running it just stopped turning up.
I thought T'Bonz ran TrekToday? Even in it's heyday they weren't exactly getting scopes. I remember when the Enterprise logo leaked and they claimed it was fake because it looked like the USS Akira. But then they had to backtrack once the logo showed up on a studio trailer. I mean, I think TrekToday denied it. Maybe they were just denying it in the forums.

Anyway, TBonz is pushing what? 60 or 70? I assume she just didn't want to do it anymore.

StarMan™

I thought T'Bonz ran TrekToday? Even in it's heyday they weren't exactly getting scopes. I remember when the Enterprise logo leaked and they claimed it was fake because it looked like the USS Akira. But then they had to backtrack once the logo showed up on a studio trailer. I mean, I think TrekToday denied it. Maybe they were just denying it in the forums.

Anyway, TBonz is pushing what? 60 or 70? I assume she just didn't want to do it anymore.

There was someone else - can't remember who off-hand. Seems like finding a capable replacement and / or maintaining the site wasn't worth the effort. It'd been many years since TrekToday had scored a scoop; 99% of the time they were parroting what was already circulating, or more humdrum stuff like book reviews / releases etc.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Timby took over TrekToday when Bonz retired but stopped updating it two years ago after having health problems. Mogh started a thread asking if TrekToday was closed where he made the VERY SUBTLE suggestion that he be allowed to take over updating it: https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/is-trektoday-winding-down.309421/

Timby and Bonz clearly decided they'd rather TrekToday die than let Mogh have it.

StarMan™

Timby took over TrekToday when Bonz retired but stopped updating it two years ago after having health problems. Mogh started a thread asking if TrekToday was closed where he made the VERY SUBTLE suggestion that he be allowed to take over updating it: https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/is-trektoday-winding-down.309421/

Timby and Bonz clearly decided they'd rather TrekToday die than let Mogh have it.

I thought LoB's suggestion was a good one!

Also, lol @ Lord Garth. Even now he occasionally pulls out the "I'm not a moderator anymore, but" ...

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I wish I could remember the thead where a current mod totally unleashed on Lord Garth for his behaviour in the Discovery forum. "I don't even recognise you anymore!" isn't an exact quote (or possibly not even close) but that was the general feeling!

Last edited: