I don't wanna wait 'till January for more Caprica! Let's discuss it now.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Also, why did they do Caprica, and not a "Final Five" saga?

The final Five saga lasted for 2000+ years. The crap on Caprica has a half-life of about 3 years.

Limited vision if you ask me.

Funny side note, since Laura Rosylin's mom was a "gifted teacher" do you think that her mom was actually Sister Clarice Willow?

Also, that mysterious figure behind the glass. I think it's a Cylon that came from Kobol instead of going with the 13th tribe.

Oh, and has anyone commented on how Baltar's house on Caprica, during the the series finale had a Lloyd Wright door?

FRACK! *shoots self in head*

SAUSAGEMAN

Also, why did they do Caprica, and not a "Final Five" saga?

The final Five saga lasted for 2000+ years. The crap on Caprica has a half-life of about 3 years.

Limited vision if you ask me.

Is this a serious question? They didn't do that because it's not the show they wanted to make. They wanted to make some weird offputting family/business/religious drama, not the Tori Foster Bitchi Hour for 2000 straight years. I really wasn't sold on the Caprica setting either, initially, but it took only about 4 episodes for it to grip me completely.

Funny side note, since Laura Rosylin's mom was a "gifted teacher" do you think that her mom was actually Sister Clarice Willow.
I hope not. I trust the writers more than to go "lol, all our characters are actually analogues to the BSG cast" all the time. I'm interested to see if they develop more explicit links between Lacey/Tamara/Zoe and the human cylon models we know, but nothing more.

My personal wish: more of The Cutest Boy In The World, please.

(and you're not using the term half-life correctly. Caprica isn't radioactive.)

ThatSunrise

Likes house centipedes
Oh... I found Phil prettier.

Alex Arsenault vs. Richard Harmon

NUP_136678_0076.jpg

MV5BMTU4MDQyMzI2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDI0MzQ2Mg@@._V1_SX450_SY450_.jpg

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
You kinda answered your own question about the story that has a shelf-life of about 3 years... um.... duh. That's exactly what you want when you're writing a show that's only likely to last exactly that long anyway. Doing a show about a 2,000 year period would either have to focus on a small segment of it (like, I dunno, maybe about 3 years of it), or be abridged to the point that it was a disjointed mess.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
What mysterious figure behind the glass?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Batlar's house isn't in Caprica. It's a different house (as nice as it would've been for Baltar to buy Daniel Greystone's house). The exterior is CGI and the interior is a set, which doesn't resemble either of the houses used as Baltar's during BSG, aside from its lakeside location.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Is this a serious question? They didn't do that because it's not the show they wanted to make. They wanted to make some weird offputting family/business/religious drama, not the Tori Foster Bitchi Hour for 2000 straight years.

No, it wasn't a serious question.

I really wasn't sold on the Caprica setting either, initially, but it took only about 4 episodes for it to grip me completely.

To be honest, I was sold when the mag lev blew up on the first episode.

I hope not. I trust the writers more than to go "lol, all our characters are actually analogues to the BSG cast" all the time. I'm interested to see if they develop more explicit links between Lacey/Tamara/Zoe and the human cylon models we know, but nothing more.

I don't think we'll se any links between the Humanoid 8/13. I do think we'll see more of how the BSG centurions, raiders, and heavy raiders came to be.

It would be interesting to see the outbreak of the full-on Cylon War. Hopefully, it's not to campy or predictable to end the show with the commissioning of Galactica.

(and you're not using the term half-life correctly. Caprica isn't radioactive.)

Well, technically I could be proven right and this whole thing could run for six years. Though, I completely doubt that it'll take off past the second season, at best. It's still being fleshed-out (if you will), and this giant season 1 break isn't helping matters.

You kinda answered your own question about the story that has a shelf-life of about 3 years... um.... duh. That's exactly what you want when you're writing a show that's only likely to last exactly that long anyway. Doing a show about a 2,000 year period would either have to focus on a small segment of it (like, I dunno, maybe about 3 years of it), or be abridged to the point that it was a disjointed mess.

It would be interesting for the final five saga to into play when the first Cylon War ended. Just to watch the truce they bartered and the creation of the first hybrids and Cavil.

What mysterious figure behind the glass?

During one of the Holoband sessions with Clarice, she meets a person who is sitting behind some glass.

Batlar's house isn't in Caprica. It's a different house (as nice as it would've been for Baltar to buy Daniel Greystone's house). The exterior is CGI and the interior is a set, which doesn't resemble either of the houses used as Baltar's during BSG, aside from its lakeside location.

Sorry, I haven't read the production notes or listened to the podcasts. Are we sure they're sets and not actual homes? The architecture in his home on Caprica in the series finale looks a lot like a Lloyd Wright house. Small, cramped hallways, big, spacious rooms with huge windows, and the stained glass on the front door matches his style. All signature Lloyd Wright

Case in point:
Left Door, as seen in BSG S04E20 "Daybreak Pt1"
Right. Glass design by Frank Lloyd Wright.

The home we saw in some of the earlier flashbacks (and especially the miniseries pilot) is probably the same home they used to film the movie Firewall. I've seen that particular house appear in several places.

Not sure about the Daybreak Pt1 House... Looks the part.

CaptainWacky

I think the figure behind the glass IS A SUPER INTELLIGENT COMPUTER.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Well, wouldn't a Cylon, sent before the fall of the 13th colony, having traveled over 2000 years to get to Caprica, be a super intelligent computer?

Just sayin.

CaptainWacky

NO.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Baltar's home was represented by two different real life buildings. IIRC, the first was only seen in the miniseries and then everything after that was in another building. I don't know anything about their design or who built them, but it sounds like you're right about the Frank Lloyd Wright influence.

The building in Caprica doesn't exist in real life, though. The exterior is a CG model designed and built by Doug Drexler (who worked on in the art department on Trek) and the interior is a really nice, very realistic set on a soundstage. I don't know anything about the influences on the interior design, or why they made it look so much like Baltar's home, though.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
I think the idea was to have all the homes on Caprica be Lloyd-Wright-esque. Warm, organic interiors, with a very earthen feel. Lloyd Wright (if you can't tell) is probably one of my favorite architects of the 20th century. He was light years ahead of his counterparts at the time. It's not any wonder why the production designers and producers of BSG/Caprica love his designs. They're all filled with wonderful, futuresque windows, and their structures are incorporated with nature. They're such a juxtaposition to the cold, metal walls of the Battlestar, or the bodies of the Cylons. The directors seem to love the use of color to be a backdrop to their story. On Caprica, you see a lot of warm, autumn-like colors, and on the Battlestar, you see grey and blues, very cold colors. Even in what the characters wear. Hell, even the filters on the lenses are set to create more vivid colors depending on the mood or setting.

I think that's just one of the things I love so much about this franchise. The attention detail and the artistry of it. They try to make sci-fi more realistic yet leave it somewhat surreal. In BSG, they didn't have tons and tons of technical jargon. They stuck to FTL drives, Wireless, and somewhat simple cybernetics. I think the story in some Sci-Fi shows falls victim to the writers trying to sound too intellectual. Trek got hugely bogged down in that. Asimov's works and ideas were always being sewn into the show, and they spent so much time talking about positronic nets and warp matrices that it was a bore at points.

OK, I'm droning.

In short. show look pretty want to touch the zoe

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I don't want to wait til January either :rwmad:

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Though, I will note that the metaphysical discussions had a tendency to go on forever. Baltar's final speech to Cavil was both brilliant and boring all at the same time.

The only time their intelligent jargon and philosophy sounded awesome was when cavil was talking about a supernova.

"I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine and I could know much more."

CaptainWacky

No.