I have control of my Diabetes

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
I'm still pre-diabetic. Supposed to be testing my blood sugar, taking pills for blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol. Haven't taken them for about a month or tested my blood sugar. Probably should try and resume before my doctor's appointment at the end of August or before I get sick and die.

At A1C 7.0 or higher (you have to maintain 129 or lower on the meter to avoid that) diabetes causes what's called "microvascularization". Literally the vascular system becomes permeable, and the lack of insulin causes the glucose to literally be deposited on your nerves, like rust. This is no overnight sensation, but you'll notice it at first with your fingers and toes tingling. It progresses to neuropathy after that, with authentic nerve pain that is literally constant and unbearable, and finally, you'll start to lose your toes, one by one from the lack of circulation.

I promise you, if you are overweight, prediabetic, with HBP and high cholesterol and don't take your meds, don't exercise and don't control your sugar your chances of having some sort of heart attack in the next three years are about 100 percent. This would suck, just selfishly speaking, because I like you a lot.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
It progresses to neuropathy after that, with authentic nerve pain that is literally constant and unbearable,

Yeah my mom has that. And I am trying to avoid her fate. She's pretty much wheelchair bound and takes a shitload of painkillers. Don't worry I plan on resuming my meds quite soon.

bad dog

<marquee direction="left" behavior="alternate" scr
oh d00d, lets do this thread. I went from 206 to 165 8 years ago when I was diagnosed, where I have remained pretty consistent since. My fucking A1C was 14.5 when I was diagnosed. Srsly. I', 6.2 these days and have it down better than Wheezie's fake itinerary. :D

Lets chat about this. I have it DOWN without insulin to this dae, and look better than I ever did.

type 2 indeed.

Glad to here you are doing well. your life is on the line.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Lets edumacate Teh Loxter, shall we?

Love Child

One Love
Sometimes I just want to press a magic button and make it all better.

Congrats to everyone, that is exciting news. I just imagine big dog walking down the aisle with his daughter, that is so sweet.

Seph

Retired Account
Glad to hear your doing well Bad Dog.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
I hear you.

I've had ice cream (no sugar added) in my freezer for three days and just now finished eating some of it. The whole time I was eating it I was berating myself for not measuring how much ice cream I had scooped out and was scarfing up.

I'll see if my blood sugar is up in the morning. If it is, its back to lean meat and greens with nothing fun on the plate.

bad dog

<marquee direction="left" behavior="alternate" scr
Am I the only one on TK who isn't diabetic?

how old are you and whats your height and weight? thats just part of it, genetics play a role along with life style. I used to drink like a fish and eat like a hog, was not fat or skinny. Right now im 6' 3" and 215# and have lost 30 pounds. I get down to 190# I will be fine, just have to slow up on the big meals and choose a more sensible diet.

My symptoms were bad vision and was thirsty all the time. i lust checked my blood suger and its at 91, thats fine. Now I want some beer. :)

OnyxOverdrive

stealth ninja
I was slightly overweight but am now back to normal weight thanks to swimming every day. BMI in the normal cetegory

maybe I should get a diabetes test as I do eat a lot of sugary stuff especially when posting at TK :pie:

eloisel

Forever Empress E
I have a medical disorder, one of the symptoms of which is insulin resistance. I also like enchiladas, french fries, and ice cream. But, I eat vegetarian most of the time and exercise a lot to keep my arthritis issues from putting me in a wheelchair. Unfortunately, for me, diabetes isn't the issue but one of the symptoms. At least my diabetes is under control.

I miss being able to drink orange juice. I loved orange juice. I miss being able to drink any juice of any kind. *Sigh*

The trick on the diet was finding out what I like that I can eat on a daily basis to keep my carbs, sodium, cholesterol, fats, and calories within a certain range that works for me - based on my age, gender, height, activity level, and any other special needs. I fall asleep in the middle of the day and can't concentrate if I don't get enough carbs. Everyone is a little different.

As mentioned by others - exercise, watch the carbs and sugars, take your meds, check your blood sugar at least every morning before you eat anything and at least 8 hours after you'd last eaten anything. See your doctor every 3 months to have your bloodwork done and your blood pressure monitored. Also, get your eyes dialated and checked every year and get a regular dental check up every year. Diabetes will do damage to your mouth and to your eyes as well.

Diabetics can live as long as anybody else can live if they take care of their diabetes.

And, Russell Stover has a candy store out on I-45 that has a whole giant wall full of sugar free, diabetic friendly candy. It is an awesome store. And, they sell it at the grocery store too.