I just bought one of those flash drive thingies

Number_6

beer, I want beer
You mean a thumb drive? Or something for a camera?

If it's a thumb drive, plug it into a USB port and open it like you would any other storage disk.

missmanners

grrrrrrrr...
It's called a flash drive or jump drive. 512 MB thingie. I need to back up data from an auditing application every night before I transmit the same data from my laptop online. So the data heeds to be copied to this little thingie.....duh......

:D
mm

C

Cloudy

they're relatively simple - just save or copy your files onto it like a floppy. before you pull it out of the computer you should 'stop' the device and it will say its safe to remove it

anyone know what the official term for them is? i thought they were called flash pens

Number_6

beer, I want beer
I've always heard them called "thumb drives," but who knows?

Yeah, then it's just like putting in a floppy disk. Windows should give you the option to open it as a drive, then you just drag and drop from the hard drive onto the thumb drive.

Make sure to remove the drive using the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the notification area at the bottom right of the screen, next to the clock. It's the icon with the little green arrow. Do this before pulling it out. I've never had problems, but I've heard of people who have.

missmanners

grrrrrrrr...
but if I drag and drop, then I wont have that info on my laptop anymore, I need it to be both on the lap top and backed up on the jump drive thingie

mm

The Question

Eternal
Cloudscum said:
they're relatively simple - just save or copy your files onto it like a floppy. before you pull it out of the computer you should 'stop' the device and it will say its safe to remove it

anyone know what the official term for them is? i thought they were called flash pens

I don't think there is an "official" term for them. I've heard and seen them called the following:

Flash drive
Thumb drive
Jump drive
USB Key
Geek tampon
Fucking piece of shit

Number_6

beer, I want beer
missmanners said:
but if I drag and drop, then I wont have that info on my laptop anymore, I need it to be both on the lap top and backed up on the jump drive thingie

mm

Drag and drop should only copy, not move. At least that's the way it works on my computer.

RobL

Or you can left click, drag it over, and it will prompt you to either move it, or copy it to the new place.

missmanners

grrrrrrrr...
Something isn't working right, or I dont know what I'm doing. Probably that last one. siiiigh,

"This is so easy" said that 19 year old geek that sold it to me.

uh huh.

;)
mm

Number_6

beer, I want beer
Or you just need a Y chromosome ;)

missmanners

grrrrrrrr...
You see dear, people assume I already know things I dont. So it sounds like
"Just go to geekbabblegeekbabble geekbabblegeekbabble geekbabblegeekbabble and geekbabblegeekbabble geekbabblegeekbabble geekbabblegeekbabble , then geekbabblegeekbabble geekbabblegeekbabble geekbabblegeekbabble."

I learn very quickly.... as long as I'm given all of the information I need.

;)
mm

The Question

Eternal
All right, here's what'cha do.

Open the folder that contains the information on your laptop.

Then open "My Computer" on your desktop. Here's the only tough part: You need to know which drive letter your computer has assigned to your USB storage device.

BUT -- even this shouldn't be too tough to do: Here's how you find that out. First, open the "My Computer" folder WITHOUT the USB storage device plugged in. You should see a list of drives that are on the laptop already. Here's what you'll most likely see.

A:\ (This is your laptop's floppy disk drive.)
C:\ (This is your laptop's hard drive.)
D:\ (This is your laptop's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.)

Now, you'll see a NEW drive letter after you plug in your USB storage device -- that drive letter, obviously then, will open your USB storage device as a folder if you double-click on it.

Back to the main part of this tutorial.

After you've opened the folder containing the information you want to copy, open your USB storage device as explained above.

Now, place the cursor on the file you want to copy, and click the RIGHT HAND mouse button. A drop-down menu will appear. One of the options is, "Copy". Select this option and click the LEFT-HAND mouse button.

Now, switch over to the open folder which is your USB storage device. Click the RIGHT-HAND mouse button in this window, and you'll get that drop-down menu again; this time, look for the option labeled, "Paste". Click on this option with the left-hand mouse button. Whammo, done.

(Sorry if that sounded really condescending or something, but you DID say you wanted it step-by-step.)

Blindgroping

U mad 'bro?
I've bought three this year.
#1-stolen
#2- secure drive, software doesn't work on half the computers I use and it requiers admin status to work properly. Gee! I have that everywhere I go! School, work...
Can you say Doorstop?
#3- a watch drive. works great.

Ebay is great for finding cheap drives. All were 256mb and each was $25-$30.

The Question

Eternal
Memorex now makes a 3Gb version. Droooooooooliedrooliedroolie

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
The Question said:
All right, here's what'cha do.

Open the folder that contains the information on your laptop.

Then open "My Computer" on your desktop. Here's the only tough part: You need to know which drive letter your computer has assigned to your USB storage device.

BUT -- even this shouldn't be too tough to do: Here's how you find that out. First, open the "My Computer" folder WITHOUT the USB storage device plugged in. You should see a list of drives that are on the laptop already. Here's what you'll most likely see.

A:\ (This is your laptop's floppy disk drive.)
C:\ (This is your laptop's hard drive.)
D:\ (This is your laptop's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.)

Now, you'll see a NEW drive letter after you plug in your USB storage device -- that drive letter, obviously then, will open your USB storage device as a folder if you double-click on it.

Back to the main part of this tutorial.

After you've opened the folder containing the information you want to copy, open your USB storage device as explained above.

Now, place the cursor on the file you want to copy, and click the RIGHT HAND mouse button. A drop-down menu will appear. One of the options is, "Copy". Select this option and click the LEFT-HAND mouse button.

Now, switch over to the open folder which is your USB storage device. Click the RIGHT-HAND mouse button in this window, and you'll get that drop-down menu again; this time, look for the option labeled, "Paste". Click on this option with the left-hand mouse button. Whammo, done.

(Sorry if that sounded really condescending or something, but you DID say you wanted it step-by-step.)

LMAO! You could have just said its the one called REMOVABLE disk.. LOL

;)

Number_6

beer, I want beer
Aren't they nifty? I find myself coveting the 3GB version TQ mentions. Perhaps it's at CostCo . . . ?

The Question

Eternal
Ah -- my mistake on the 3Gb Memorex Traveldrive -- either I misread the number, or the advert I saw for a 3Gb traveldrive was purely promotional.

However, you can get a 2Gb version right now at this listing on Memorex's online store for about USD$200.00 (+ S&H, of course.)