I think we're no longer allowed to enjoy Monty Python

SAUSAGEMAN

Christ, what an asshole :(

Comedian John Cleese sparked fury today after he said that London is "no longer an English city".

The Fawlty Towers star was slammed after saying that the capital feels like a foreign city and that English culture is disappearing.

In an appearance on Australian television to promote a show at the Sydney Opera House he said: "I'm not sure what's going on in Britain. Let me say this, I don't know what's going on in London because London is no longer an English city and that's how they got the Olympics.

"They said 'we're the most cosmopolitan city on Earth' but it doesn't feel English.

"I had a Californian friend come over two months ago, walk down the King's Road and say to me 'well, where are all the English people?'.

"I love having different cultures around but when the parent culture kind of dissipates you're left thinking 'well, what's going on?'"

Earlier this year Cleese said he preferred living in Bath to London: "I love being down in Bath because it feels like the England that I grew up in."

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
No, we just can't enjoy anything he does from this point forward. Luckily that amounts to a bunch of unfunny British Gas adverts.

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
I don't wish to sound racist but he has a point - having said that, is it a bad thing? No, not really. That's just modern society, and it's only a problem if you're narrow minded.

The only point is, that factually, it's partially correct. London is super-cosmopolitan & diverse. That's it.

"I had a Californian friend come over two months ago, walk down the King's Road and say to me 'well, where are all the English people?'.

THEN HIS FRIEND DID THIS

[youtube]7xnNhzgcWTk[/youtube]

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee

They're all the people around you. It's just a lot of them don't happen to have white skin!

whisky

Boobie inspector
Maybe he meant english speaking people, or are we not meant to mention that either.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
My response would be similar to Gagh's; that no, London isn't an English city, but that's not a bad thing. There are plenty of places in the UK where you'll still only see white faces and people speaking English, and they're not going anywhere.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
PINING FOR THE FJORDS?

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
[youtube]sstrj15XpWQ[/youtube]

I draw your attention specifically to 0:33 - 0:59

WHO DOES?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
HE'S FROM BARCELONA, THEY'RE ALL LIKE THIS

CaptainWacky