I watched the Caprica pilot (SPOILERS)

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
It showed promise.

SPOILERS BELOW BUT I'M NOT USING CODE BECAUSE IT SAYS "SPOILERS" IN THE THREAD TITLE.

SO DON'T READ THIS.

IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT.

OKAY TOMTREK?

YES I'M TALKING TO YOU.

HAHAHF

The actor playing Daniel is good and Joseph was pretty good too. The creepy sister at the school also stood out. Was good to see the Cigarette Smoking Man from the X-Files in a cameo, but he had a gruesome death so I don't know why I'm mentioning him in this cast rundown. The teenagers were okay. Virtual Zoe was quite good at time, not so good other times. But it was a decent cast.

ANYWAY, WHO CARES ABOUT ACTING, WHAT ABOUT THE FUCKING PLOT? Well you know how I feel about the relegious stuff in BSG, I think it's sometimes too vague and they just use "god wills it!" as an excuse to move the plot forward and I fear that's what they did here with the suicde bombing. On the plus side the sister at the school seems to be a regular character so maybe she'll explain more of the religious side and what the followers of the One True God actually believe as the series progresses. It is interesting that the OTG followers are so interested in creating virtual life (and remember the OTG was a cylong centurion idea originally) SO IT KIND OF BACKS UP MY GOD AS A SUPER INTELLIGENT COMPUTER IDEA, DOESN'T IT LOL.

I saw complaints that it was too "soapy" on IMDB but I don't really know what that means. Because people have feelings and talk about them that's soapy? I don't know. It's a bit slow maybe but all the virtual reality stuff is really interesting. I'm fascinated by the idea of recreating an individual digitally and there's a lot of discussion of it. The scene where Jospeh see his daughter in that world is quite creepy.

All the scenes with the centurion kickass. It was great to hear the BSG cylon/military music again (Tomtrek will know the name) and it gets you pumped for cylon action. The CGI on the Centurion was really good and I guess he'll be somewhat of a regular character in the series. I liked the kind or robot butler Daniel had too. And FUTURE TENNIS.

Bear McCreary does a great job with the music all the way and you can hear versions of some familiar stuff like in the centurion scene and best of all a version of the Adama theme where Joseph is telling young Bill about his family. That was probably my favourite part.

It was cool how Joseph was involved in the Tauron mafia too and I liked CSM's line about "tauron dirt-eaters!"

SO YEAH it has promise and the pilot was filmed ages ago anway and the series doesn't start until next year I think so there's plenty of time to "retool" it to some extent so I hope it turns out to be a good show watch it lol.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
I liked it.

Like, a lot more than I thought I would.

One of the things I was worried about from the preview clips is that the technology was too advanced from what we see in BSG (even though when we see Caprica in BSG they had spent the past couple of decades being frightened of technology), but I really liked how things were done.

The holoband nightclubs seemed like a holo-Second Life, and I compleyely expect that once we get things like that the first places will be be created are sex rooms and places to shoot people.

I REALLY liked the early Cylon stuff, especially how it ties into Zoe's story at the end.

THe acting was good, Jo Adama actually looks and acts like you would think he did.

It's just a shame we have to wait till 2010 for the proper show.

Also Adama's daughter was hot.

EDIT: I ALSO LIKED THE NUDITY. I HOPE THE ACTUAL SHOW GOES BACK TO THE SEX ROOM EVERY WEEK.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Also I liked the bit where the firsy Cylon kicks ass on the test and says something like "PROGRAM COMPLETE" and I was all "OH FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK PLEASE SAY BY YOUR COMMAND PLEEASEEE" and then it went "BY YOUR COMMAND" and YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHH.

CaptainWacky

Yeah there was a few good fan service type lines in there.

I doubt we'll see the nudity on the tv version.

POSSIBLE SPOILER

Someone on IMDB pointed out that the holo club we see is actual the opera house from Baltar and Six's visions on BSG. Now maybe they just reused parts of the set and this person recognised them (I wasn't paying much attention to the layout when I watched) but if it IS going to tie-in that would be really cool (and the hold band could be linked to cylon projection technology.)

It makes sense that the colonies would abandon the holoband technology after the Cylon war if AI can be created in there.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Rewatching it it does look like the same place, it's just hard to tell because of the lighting and sec dectoration.

BUT it could be that the club is modelled after the opera house, in a way that the desginer modelled it after the one on Kobol somehow (maybe it's described in the scriptures).

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Do you think the creation of the first cylon is going to jive with BSG's cylon history? (final 5 creating the first skinjobs for the centurions)

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Well so far we've only seem them work on old-School BY YOUR COMMAND cylons, and the development of the AIs that run them. There's been nothing about any skinjob-type Cylons let (as that stuff was done by the Final Five, I guess).

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
OH.. so Zoe's personality is going to be put into a toaster?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Cool, I've been trying to figure out how they create the first skinjobs, since all the BSG cylon revelations occurred, I'm glad I was thinking about it all wrong.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yeah, I got the impression from spoilers that Zoe's mind got put into a skinjobbish clone of her old body, so I'm glad that was false.

CaptainWacky

Maybe they'll put her in a hideous frankenstein style body later.

CaptainWacky

Yeah, and it could even answer a few of the unexplained mysteries from BSG about the nature of God and the Head People and such. The only problem really is that the series is still a year away and I want to see it NOW.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Also I liked the bit where the firsy Cylon kicks ass on the test and says something like "PROGRAM COMPLETE" and I was all "OH FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK PLEASE SAY BY YOUR COMMAND PLEEASEEE" and then it went "BY YOUR COMMAND" and YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHH.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Is that the GIF that gives everybody seizures?

CaptainWacky

I don't have a seizure.

CaptainWacky

Does the cylon actually see out of the red light or is it just for show?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
It has a SCART socket for a mouth so you can plug extra things in.