If its the london olympics

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
It's lame isn't it? I know that English and French are the official languages of the modern olympics, but it should clearly be the host country's language that's used first.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Indeed, particularly noticeable right at the start, where the queen of England opening the London Olympics is announced in French.

Later followed by a tribute to British culture, announced in French first.

Somehow I cant imagine this flying in France if they had the Olympics there and everything was announced in English first.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Of course, if a certain MP had his way the announcements would've been in German.

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
Of course, if a certain MP had his way the announcements would've been in German.
From what I've learned about inter-European hostilities, I can imagine that this would actually be preferrable to having them in French for quite a no. of Brits.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I was alluding to an MP who was recently photographed at a Nazi themed party and last night complained on Twitter that the Olympics was too multicultural. Big mistake!

I don't know which Brits would prefer; German or French, but I think everyone was just rather bemused by the French announcements rather than being annoyed by them.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
The opening ceremonies weren't shown in Americaland until it was all over. No Frenchies in our announcements!

SAUSAGEMAN

6063.imgcache.gif

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
It's payback for Jean-Luc Picard being English.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
There old be more nakedness and misogyny if we followed the old method. A French bloke invented the modern Olympics in the 1870's from memory.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Damn Frenchies!

whisky

Boobie inspector
They also invented killing the monarchy, around the same time, how come they didn't have that tradition in the Olympics?

SAUSAGEMAN

But they do. Fuddlemiff mentioned in the other thread that the Olympic announcers don't use aristocratic titles like "Sir" or "Dame".

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Though they do use "Her Royal Highness/Her Majesty the Queen", rather than calling her Elizabeth.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Or LIZZY IN DA HIZZY.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
I know NBC showed a Ryan Seacrest interview instead of a tribute to those who died in the London train bombings.

Or, I think that's what the tribute was for. Once Ryan Seacrest is on the screen, I'm fascinated by his plasticity.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Not just the train bombings, but also both world wars.

I thought they might just have missed the begging of the war tribute, then joined half way though.