Internet persona and ethics...

Donovan said:
Neither is important to the discussion here, they are simply events I perceived which got me thinking about the bigger idea. The only reason I mentioned them at all, among the many other causes for this train of thought, was that Laker Girl seemed to personalize my comments and I had deliberately refrained from using examples from this board.

My comment re: TW and/or Jack was not meant as a condemnation or tacit approval of any acts committed or endured by those entities.

Considering the fact that you've attacked me numerous times regarding this very issue, I felt is was directed at me, you moron.

I'd think you were a very clever troll, bouncing from mildly tolerable to abso-fucking-lutely annoying but I just don't think you're that intelligent.

Laker_Girl said:
Considering the fact that you've attacked me numerous times regarding this very issue, I felt is was directed at me, you moron.

I'd think you were a very clever troll, bouncing from mildly tolerable to abso-fucking-lutely annoying but I just don't think you're that intelligent.

Actually, I have not attacked you for online behavior, I called you out for behavior you claim to be proud of in real life. Like most halfway pretty California girls, you think the entire world revolves around you, and when you find out it doesn't it really twists your panties in a cute little pink knot. This thread is not about you for one reason only: everyone here already knows you are egocentric and entirely self-absorbed. No big secret there, very little to discuss.

As for intelligence, and who has it or doesn't: I find it's better not to try and brag on one's own attributes, and therefore I leave it to others to make their own conclusions on whether or not I can carry a conversation of this level.

I also find that the opinions of those I don't yet respect carries very little weight with me, so I'm good with whatever opinion you might offer up.

But back to the discussion at hand: would it be fair to say you are squarely in the altruism camp?

I don't know...I think the person claiming a different personality offline is more ethical than the person who claims constant antisocial behavior? Why? Because the internet affords a certain detachment and surrealism which is not the case for offline. For instance, take all the spamming that occurs on TK. In real life, if you phone-spam or send stupid spam junk mail to people who didn't consciously opt-in, you can get in trouble with the authorities..like the no-call list and other statutes of privacy.

Maybe if we all had video-cams and could see the person we were talking to.

Then again, most people aren't very attractive...

-Ogami

Donovan I have to give you your props... this is a GREAT discussion.

Loved reading it, I guess I also have to thank GB for the bump :P

Laker_Girl said:
I feel like you're speaking to me Donovan and I have to tell you, I am who I am. How I am online is how I am in real life but it's not ALL that I am in real life. I could go on and on about any good that I may have done that might counter what people on TK really think about me but the fact is, I have walked up to a mother of a screaming child at Target and said to her face, "Shut your damn kid up." I am quite rude when I feel violated. On the other hand if a child is extremely well behaved I compliment the child and the parent(s). Basically with me, you get what you give, Friday knows that about me. :)

I am a 'Beast' if you enter my personal space says Laker Girl!

How big is that space, who knows if she will walk to any mother in a store and scream in their face.

Dang!!! You really are a piece of work.

Grammour Boy said:
I don't know...I think the person claiming a different personality offline is more ethical than the person who claims constant antisocial behavior? Why? Because the internet affords a certain detachment and surrealism which is not the case for offline. For instance, take all the spamming that occurs on TK. In real life, if you phone-spam or send stupid spam junk mail to people who didn't consciously opt-in, you can get in trouble with the authorities..like the no-call list and other statutes of privacy.

What about real life in-person spamming, such as walking up to a group of strangers involved in a deep conversation and yelling, "OMGWTFLOLBBQ!!!" then laughing maniacally and running off... only to come back and do it again at some random point in time?

The Question said:
What about real life in-person spamming, such as walking up to a group of strangers involved in a deep conversation and yelling, "OMGWTFLOLBBQ!!!" then laughing maniacally and running off... only to come back and do it again at some random point in time?
what about them?

those people are schizophrenics with tourette syndrome. people like that are often committed to the insane asylum. others are beaten to a pulp for interrupting a private conversation.

Donovan said:
Actually, I have not attacked you for online behavior, I called you out for behavior you claim to be proud of in real life. Like most halfway pretty California girls, you think the entire world revolves around you,
Nothing wrong with thinking the world revolves around you...specially if you're good looking!
Btttah: I try to be my real world persona online as much as possible.For the most part I succeed, I'm a little less patient IRL than I am online, and I also can be a lot cruder IRL because I can see the reactions in peoples faces.
99% of the time IRL I'm an immature, selfish punk ass fool and those are my good traits.

Grammour Boy said:
what about them?

those people are schizophrenics with tourette syndrome. people like that are often committed to the insane asylum. others are beaten to a pulp for interrupting a private conversation.

That's what makes it risky, and risk is what makes it fun. :D

The Question said:

This imagery reminds me of a prank video on youtube where this older guy acts all agitated around a stranger, checking his watch repeatedly, then sits down next to them and asks them to check his watch for accuracy. When they lean over he yells "Booga" and scares the shit out of them. Some of theme fell off the bench. It's twisted shit but funny to watch, especially the guys who usually jump up and try to kick his ass.

The Question said:
That's what makes it risky, and risk is what makes it fun. :D
well not all of us would take that chance which is why my thesis--that the offline interloper is a lunatic asshole whereas the online one is a prankster who has no real dangers awating him/her--is valid.

Back