Internet Spaceships forums......... Serious Fucking Business!!

SSgt_Sniper

Factional Warfare
SO, yeah....... EVE-Online. I play it, love the concept (though the developers annoy the piss out of me) and have entered my "bitter vet" stage in EVE.

Why do I bring this up? There is a habit of elitism that pervades forums involved with Internet Spaceships. It annoys me. I wonder if anyone would be up for invading a few of them. Yes I know, NYPA, and to be fair you'd be getting into situations where you'd be up against the Goons from time to time, but would you be intrigued at attempting to troll people that base most of their self-esteem on their status in internet spaceships video game?

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
Sounds interesting. I'll look into it --though let me state at the outset that I know nothing of it, or EVE-online. Before I go look it up, could you give a Cliff Notes version of what the game is about? Do you design your own ships, then chase each other around, etc?

The ship-design part would certainly intrigue me. As well as the trolling.

OFF TO WIKI

SSgt_Sniper

Factional Warfare
CCP's own website: www.eve-online.com

They have an attached eve-wiki though you have to have an in-game account to actually post on the in-house forums. Therefore, your targets, should you choose to accept it, will be all off-site fan-based forums.

I'm betting scorponok has an account.

SSgt_Sniper

Factional Warfare
As far as an actual cliff notes summary of EVE: NERDS IN SPACE(ships)!!!!!!!!!

Sandbox mmo heavily heavily geared towards pvp. Single shard universe everything you do 'matters' because everyone is in the same persistent world.

You form corporations to go do things together instead of guilds. Those corporations can form larger alliances and go hold conquerable (controllable) space, since over half the game is conquerable space, this is a large portion of gameplay, though the majority of players never leave unconquerable 'empire' space because of several different factors.

Breeds megalomaniacs because honestly, to successfully run a damned alliance it's been proved you pretty much have to be an overconfident egotistical fucktard (but you also have to make all the right power plays as well).

Filled to the brim with dramallamas and that's the only reason it survived it's early days when the game frequently didn't work. The dramawhoring and the personal grudges that came from this kept the game running until things improved and things started to be actually funtional.

Sworn (by others that detest the game) to be a griefers' paradise filled with people banned from other video games for conduct that they are now allowed to do in EVE.

Anything else you want to know?

Edit: Watch. It's advertising, to be sure, and not perfectly representative of how the concept works in actuality, however it'll give you an idea of things.

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
Any personal feuds worth noting? I mean on the forums, and not necessarily between EVE factions (which I can look up on my own --thanks for the comprehensive info.) If you can link to or copypasta any particularly spectacular meltdowns, rants or even just some examples of trolling, it'd paint a clearer picture of the sort of personalities to be dealt with --and provide a little incentive, as well. Also: any specific issues that stick in people's craw?

I've got a busy week ahead, so I'll use the time to brush up on the game background as well.

SSgt_Sniper

Factional Warfare
http://www.eve-search.com/search/Jade Constantine

Good example of masses of people holding fuming grudges over one man. Any thread Jade posts in is guaranteed to generate at least ten people frothing at the mouth to attack him. WARNING! Jade posts are LONG.......................

He's a writer, go figure. Mind you this isn't the only grudge you can get in the middle of to troll people it's just the easiest one to point to.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
LearningCurve.jpg

/thread

SSgt_Sniper

Factional Warfare
I have that saved to my pictures cause even all this time later, it's still very true.

The Question

Eternal
No, I'VE got the biggest e-nis!

SSgt_Sniper

Factional Warfare
lol.

"Titans were never meant to be cost effective- It's a huge dick!"