Interpreting the logic of EIers

Grandtheftcow

Grand Wizard of TK
Link

Dev_F said:
Enkanowen said:
but it has been challenged and if it is in the guidelines, no one can complain.

But adding it to the guidelines validates their challenge, suggesting that maybe the mods don't have a right to make this kind of judgment call, and I think that's a bad precedent to set.

I don't mean to come down hard on this idea, because it's not the hugest issue in the world, but to me it's symptomatic of a larger problem plaguing ExIsle. Members and moderators alike have been attempting to regulate our way out of conflict, to reduce the moderation of this board to a series of precise guidelines that no one can complain about because they're the rules.

But it's that's done is to give rise to a whole other series of complaints along the lines of "I did X and mods did Y, but when soandso did X the mods did Z!" and it's driven the mods to tie themselves in knots sometimes to conform to guidelines that are too absolute and quantitative, when all they really want to do is uphold the spirit of our original guidelines.

I think what we really need to do is to get back to a place where we don't need to have it beaten into us that the rules are the rules, and can just accept that the mods are the mods. Where they'll make judgment calls, and if we disagree with them we can discuss the philosophical problems we have with their decisions, rather than arguing about whether they conform to some nitpicky rule.

It’s the first paragraph that I’m not getting.

Gambit

Maybe he's the only one who has a clue that they are painting themselves into a corner with all these rules and regs they've created for the TK-EI members. If they make a rule about this, there is no wiggle room. They want their cake and eat it too. They want to interpret the rules when it suits them to come down hard on those who they think are TK trouble makers, and turn around and let it slide if one of the established and well liked members screws up.

Notice how he says that it validates their challenge. The word their equals TKers. As far as he's concerned you made the request for the rule change, you are a TK member, you are part of that TK group that went over there to deliberately create problems. So even if you make a call for a reasonable rule change that can be applied to all members and not just Darth, you are still suspected of doing this just to create trouble.

Number_6

beer, I want beer
Logic? ExIsle?

This does not compute. Norman, Norman, coordinate.

Grandtheftcow

Grand Wizard of TK
Maybe he's the only one who has a clue that they are painting themselves into a corner with all these rules and regs they've created for the TK-EI members. If they make a rule about this, there is no wiggle room. They want their cake and eat it too. They want to interpret the rules when it suits them to come down hard on those who they think are TK trouble makers, and turn around and let it slide if one of the established and well liked members screws up.

Hmm that actually makes a lot of sense from a brownnosing watchdogs perspective. In a sense he’s right about my reasons for starting the topic because I want to eliminate the unwritten rules and reduce the wiggle room a staff member has when faced with a decision, because if its clear cut then the rest of the membership knows what to expect too.

Notice how he says that it validates their challenge. The word their equals TKers. As far as he's concerned you made the request for the rule change, you are a TK member, you are part of that TK group that went over there to deliberately create problems. So even if you make a call for a reasonable rule change that can be applied to all members and not just Darth, you are still suspected of doing this just to create trouble.

Which is further proof I need an established EI member who would be willing to start a topic in AQG themselves if they agree with my view on something.

BlazerBoy

Who is Dev_F? I have only been over to EI a few times and don't know many people there.