Is it too soon to discuss the possible Game of thrones spinoffs?

Dershocka

dershocka
I've never read the books. I was already into the shows. Plus, those books are so HUGE I didn't want invest the time into reading them. But, I have read cliffnotes so to speak. (The wikis, and so on.) There's so many other stories they could do that would be great, and they could reuse many of the sets.

Robert's Rebellion: Same sets, plus they've already cast some key roles for the flashbacks.

Possible setbacks: The lack of fantastical creatures. And, it's been discussed so much already perhaps what we know is enough. Not much left to cover, and no need to revisit it.

The war, and eventual alliance of the first men, and the Children: Lots of fantastical CGI elements, some of the same sets. Something that would resemble the Hobbit perhaps. I assume most of it took place in the North, so less locations to shoot from.

Possible Setback: All of the above. If it didn't garner the same ratings, to support the budget we might be left with a short, and unfinished saga. And, the lack of locations might make for a duller show.

Valeria: Life on Valeria, with its eventual downfall, and concluding with the Targareyan conquest. We could revisit Essos with perhaps getting a glimpse of the unseen, exotic places like the shadowlands, and the southern continent. More Dragon action against some more supernatural opponents.

Possible Setback: A war with first men series could get away with lots of people in makeup, and slightly less expensive budget. I imagine a show with more Dragons, and exotic beasts, and supernatural shenanigans would include an even BIGGER budget. Which means without strong ratings might be hard to pull off as well. The Valerian stronghold had alot of territory to cover, so lots of locations to shoot. But, if we're talking about doing a series that takes place towards the end of the Valerian glory days we won't need to see these other places as much.

An anthology: They could spotlight a different aspect, or group every season. Have a few episodes devoted to a day in the life of The Faceless Men, or something. Play out key events in shorter tales. Stuff like how the Casterlys lose their rock to the Lannisters, The duel of Littlefinger, and Bradon Stark over Catelyn Tully. The romance of Rhaegar Targaryen, and Lyssa Stark. Same sets, less CGI.

Possible Setbacks: Shorter stories with less special effects may lead to more compelling character drama, but less action. That may be dull, or boring to some.

Something new: A new storyline that has no resemblance to anything in the books, and has never been referenced.

Possible Setbacks: As long as it's good, not many?

They wait 5-10 years to revisit it if they revisit the world at all: Maybe just leave it be once it's done, and we look back with fond memories, and occasionally binge watch it.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
An anthology series could be good actually...

They might do a series based on GRRM's Dunc and Egg spin-off stories, but that would only get them one season.

Dershocka

dershocka
I forgot all about Dunc and Egg. That would definitely fit the anthology format, and the best place to start. I mean, FX keeps churning out Gosh awful American horror story anthology seasons, and people still watch that. Anything GoT related would be a masterpiece in comparison. Isn't Fargo also an anthology type show that changes season to season? I only watched the first episode.

The Question

Eternal
PETER DINKLAGE TO TURN HEEL AT WRESTLEMANIA 273? STAY TYEEEEEEEWWWNNNED!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yes, Fargo is and so is True Detective, though that's not something that was ever intended (and it shows).

A prequel showing some of the ancient history would be interesting, so long as we're in the dark enough that we still get to speculate about what'll happen. That seems to be GoTs main appeal.

CaptainWacky

A prequel showing why the Iron Islanders are so dumb. It lasts twelve seasons.

CaptainWacky

If the children of the forest are all played by cute girls.

Dershocka

dershocka
Have a spinoff about the shadowlands where the Red God religion started.

Half the time its naked hot people burning people, and the rest of the time its naked old people showing remorse for burning people. And everybody that dies gets resurrected.

CaptainWacky

That just reminded me of old lady Melisandre nudity...

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I'd like a show where Littlefinger got his start interning at a Madison Ave. ad agency in the 1960s.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member

They could do a spinoff about Bronn's early career as a singer.

CaptainWacky

Did anyone hear the story about how Lena Headey and Jerome Flynn hate each other (they used to date) and that's why Cersei and Bronn never have any scenes together? That's pretty much the whole story.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I never heard that one! They're probably both assholes irl.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I saw it in some YouTube comments sections so didn't know if it was true. I read that Lena Headey's contract actually stipulates that they won't have any scenes together (although they have had one where they didn't speak to one another).

She definitely strikes me as someone who would be a bit difficult in real life, but who knows what happened.

CaptainWacky

They should bring back Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Bronn's a wacky terminator!

CaptainWacky

Lena Headey is the superior GOT actress to have played Sarah Connor.