Is Pee-Ess Three worth the coin?

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
So I just got myself a fancy-pants HD TV, and now I'm contemplating getting a PS3. I've found that it's impossible to play Guitar Hero on PS2 on this tv; I can't calibrate the lag property. I've heard tell that the PS3 is worth the price as a Blu-Ray Player alone.

Izzit worth $400?

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
blu-ray is overrated. It's mostly increased color saturation and not clarity. PS3 is alright, but for a more enjoyable experience go 360. Live is where it's at.

SuN

.:~**~.~**~.~**~:.
Don't listen to this bullshit, these pple have no vision and just want to feel better about paying top dollar for obsolete technology.
PS3 will last u for ages, get the 60 or 80G as it plays old gamez...games are coming out slower than the xbot, only to prolong the sales....some kind of consolation prize for the 360's fail.
The ps3 gives u more value and tis teh future, xbot will prolly release a blue-ray version laterz after milking their loser, dying HD-only format.

SuN

Btw I don't think PS hunt, raid and perma-ban u for playing pirated gamez; and blue ray is all about size, tis HD but with extraz, which is why it won teh simple HD Vs Blue-ray war ;)

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Play pirated games on your non-live account, silly.

Besides, stop trying to sell your Asian products here. All we Americans want are our 360's.

Skip blu-ray or DVDs. Xbox has a system link which allows you to stream your music, video, and pictures from your PC to your xbox. I use mine to watch torrented videos on my TV. It's also a great dj station if you're having a party.

360 plays most of the original xbox games without need for patches. It also has a HUGE collection of arcade games which cost about $2 a pop.

You can video conference with people.

It utilizes wireless technology to get rid of those pesky cords. (The battery packs are expensive, but save you a bundle in the long run)

Live only costs you $50/year.

Xbox ftw.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have either since I am exclusively a PC Gamer and my PC pisses all over the PS3 and 360 COMBINED.

That said if you're going to get one or the other the 360 looks much better considering the price point compared to the PS3.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
The major concerns are the red ring and the xbox live mods, who can be intolerable fuckbags.

fourredring.jpg

SuN

^LUL OWND

Xbox has a system link which allows you to stream your music, video, and pictures from your PC to your xbox. I use mine to watch torrented videos on my TV.

A PC does this 2 :p
U sound liek Steve Jobs man!!

SuN

^ 360's are the immediate cheaper option, PS3's are teh long term investment.
It comes down to personal preference really

SuN

Also, considering blue-ray will be the standard in a few years, and a stand-alone player ranges from $425-$1,300 a PS3 60gig at approx $700 is a bloody good deal.

It shall all become apparent in time ;)

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Blu-ray is destined to fail, not succeed. Sony owns the patent on blu-ray and the player. Other DVD writers and DVD player manufacturers will not conform to the blu-ray monopoly. Neither will the American public.

Blu-ray = fail

SuN

Ummm blue-ray already won the battle, liek agesssss ago.

"Toshiba's president and chief executive, Atsutoshi Nishida, said today that after a thorough review of its strategy, the company had decided a swift end to the format war would help the HD market.

"We carefully assessed the long-term impact of continuing the so-called 'next-generation format war' and concluded that a swift decision will best help the market develop," he said.

"While we are disappointed for the company and more importantly, for the consumer, the real mass market opportunity for high-definition content remains untapped and Toshiba is both able and determined to use our talent, technology and intellectual property to make digital convergence a reality."

The two formats have been battling for the growing high-definition share of the £12.3bn a year global home DVD market. High-definition DVDs offer improved visuals and sound, but also make it harder for content to be illegally copied and pirated.

Sony has had the upper hand for some time because its PlayStation 3 games console has a built-in Blu-Ray player. Sony has sold more than 10m Blu-Ray units while only about 1m HD DVD players have been sold, mostly in Japan.

Last month Warner Bros, the world's largest DVD producer, announced it would only release in Blu-Ray, while Disney, MGM, Sony Pictures and Fox have also dumped HD DVD."

;)

http://www.google.com/search?q=blue...avclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enAU292AU293

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/feb/19/digitalmedia.sony?gusrc=rss&feed=technology

Butthurt Jobs rekons dl's are the futre
"Blu-ray Disc beat HD DVD, but who cares? Downloads, not physical media, are the future of HD content consumption. So said Apple CEO Steve Jobs this week, a comment that's a distant echo of allegations made by Transformers director Michael Bay last year."

But he forgets all the non-techy mum's and dad's that will still side with disks over hard drives, at least for a while ;)

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
That whole 'format war' pertains only to HD coding. MGM won't stop making regular DVD's for quite some time. And Toshiba quit the race because Sony (and I have to admit this is smart) released the PS3. They released an affordable blu-ray player which killed the HD-DVD market for the first year it was out. HD-DVD isn't any less superior to blu-ray. Toshiba just lost because Sony had a better marketing strategy.

I agree with Jobs. As the man is almost never incorrect. Hell, Apple Inc. fired him once. He went on to make some incredible investments on new technologies then Apple RE-HIRED him. The man has incredible insight into the technologies market when it comes to media (e.g. music, video, images, etc.). Downloading will eventually eliminate the need for production of costly pieces of plastic. That means more profit.

Blu-ray will be obsolete in a few years time anyway.

As for their anti-pirating gimmick, it won't last. All technology that has source code can and WILL be hacked and pirated.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
SuN said:
k, but pc's could do it for the past 4yrz or moar

I reiterate. Steve Jobs is a genius and mac is always the wave of the future. WiFi technology was in use by Macs LOOOOOOONG before PC's started using it.

Hell, Windows Vista is just a shitty copy of OSX.