Lawmakes want to divide California to make a 51st State

starguard

Unluckiest Charm in the Box
Goons want to split California into two seperate states (Nothern California and Southern California) believing that this will save money :rofl:

A GOP lawmaker in California says he has a solution to the state's massive budget woes: He wants 13 conservative-learning counties to secede and form a new state called "South California."

The secession push is the brainchild of Riverside County Supervisor Jeff Stone, a Republican who tells the Los Angeles Times he's sick of the state government raiding local budgets without curbing its own spending in pursuit of what he calls a liberal agenda.

He's set to formally present the idea to the Riverside County Board of Supervisors Tuesday. The board will vote on Stone's proposal for a stateside summit to sketch out plans for secession. Under Stone's plan, the new 51st state would include 13 Southern California counties--Riverside, San Bernardino, Imperial, San Diego, Orange, Kings, Kern, Fresno, Tulare, Inyo, Madera, Mariposa and Mono--and would be made up of roughly 13 million people.

Los Angeles was intentionally left off the list because it's simply too liberal, according to Stone.

"Los Angeles is purposely excluded because they have the same liberal policies that Sacramento does. The last thing I want to do is create a state that's a carbon copy of what we have now," Stone tells the Times' Phil Willon. "Los Angeles just enacted a ban on plastic grocery bags. That put three or four manufacturers out of business."

This is hardly the first time Californians have entertained the idea of succession. Dozens of proposals to split the state apart have been considered over the years, in part due to political tensions between Northern and Southern California. In 1992, legislation made was passed in the California State Assembly that would have divided the state into three new territories: North, Central and South California. But the bill ultimately died in the state Senate.

In 2003, a proposal was pitched to divide California into four separate states to make government more manageable. In 2009, secession proponents launched yet another drive to carve the state up—this time into a region called "Coastal California," which would include Los Angeles County heading north along the coast to Marin County.

Of course, secession talk isn't unique to California. Earlier this year, a group of Arizona activists angry about Gov. Jan Brewer's focus on immigration and social issues launched an effort to make Southern Arizona a new state. Meanwhile, Texas GOP Gov. Rick Perry, whose own state has debated various proposals to split up into smaller territories, upped the ante in 2009, suggesting his state might secede from the United States altogether because of President Obama's spending proposals.

History suggests Stone's proposal is unlikely to succeed--but it's a hint at the increasing political angst over California's dismal financial prospects. The state began the year with a nearly $26 billion budget deficit but spending cuts and better-than-expected revenues knocked that down to an estimated $9.6 billion as of last month. But yesterday, California officials revealed the state didn't meet its optimistic budget projections--and warned that further cuts and tax hikes could be on the way.

Stone told the Times that California has become an "ungovernable" financial catastrophe where taxpayers are suffering under the burden of caring for welfare recipients and illegal immigrants.

But a spokesman for Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown laughed off Stone's measure.

"It's a supremely ridiculous waste of everybody's time," Brown spokesman Gil Duran told the Times. "If you want to live in a Republican state with very conservative right-wing laws, then there's a place called Arizona.''

link: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...h-california-nation-51st-state-151258363.html

If this is the case, why not just sell it back to the Mexicans! :)

Consumer

Elder Statesman
If they really want to do this, we'll need an even number of states to keep balance in the Senate.

So, we get "South California". To keep balance we create "South New York" (since NYC and Long Island are VERY different from upstate). Again this would divide along conservative/rural viewpoints and liberal/urban viewpoints.

Or, we do that, and while we are at it we make PR a state AND create the State of Jefferson (goggle it), making 54 states. And if Arizona wants to divide in half, we let 'em, and also cut Florida in two as well, making 56 states.

While this would increase the number in the Senate (2 per state), the House remains the same (same population) only divided up with a couple of extra caucasus.

Note: no one is seceding from the USA, we are just sub-dividing the country a few more times.

Sounds good to me, personally.

Consumer

Elder Statesman
Double Post

Expletive Deleted.

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
..or we could just give it to them. Theres nothing in Southern California but bums anyway :)

Wah wah.

Maybe you should stop by for a visit. Or maybe not.

Wouldn't want to look like you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Whoops.

starguard

Unluckiest Charm in the Box
Wah wah.

Maybe you should stop by for a visit. Or maybe not.

Wouldn't want to look like you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Whoops.

I've been there dude. Those fools down there are the main reason why California's called "The land of Fruits and Nuts" :phprazz:

Charlemagne

Holy Roman Emperor
It's the land of Gay Lucis?

Donovan

beer, I want beer
I've been there dude. Those fools down there are the main reason why California's called "The land of Fruits and Nuts" :phprazz:

[YOUTUBE]PgTNc2uNt_A[/YOUTUBE]

The Question

Eternal
Sell it back? They've practically stolen it back already.

The Question

Eternal
I am an official affiliate and distributor of Pleasure.

Daystrom

m'frstthotontconinthesack
Goons want to split California into two seperate states (Nothern California and Southern California) believing that this will save money :rofl:

If this is the case, why not just sell it back to the Mexicans! :)

That actually is what is going to happen only I don't think the Mexicans are going to understand the name change to "New Mississippi" until it's too late.

The word "Mexican" is a slur now Starguard. To Mexicans, "Mexican" is synonymous with "Ignorant" or "unwashed". "Dirty Immigrant" is the phrase they're really searching for but as Chris Rock once said: "cupcakeas don't read".

..and if I may offer a follow up to the above quote with another quote from MLK, "Some truths are self evident". 'Nuff said.

The Question

Eternal
That was amazing. I've never seen anybody mumble in text before.

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
That was amazing. I've never seen anybody mumble in text before.

Have you conidered TKR? We maintain a higher standard.

I'm not sure how you get along with Jack, but we have a pretty sharp room.

Self-correcting like a room otta be. Might be worth your time.

Gear
TKR

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Saint would definitely be an interesting add.

Donovan

beer, I want beer

The Question

Eternal
Your captcha dealie is a blue box with a ? mark.