Low-paid illegal work force has little impact on prices

Tyrant

The Question

Eternal
"The labor-intensive nature of many crops is a key reason agriculture continues to rely on illegal workers."

Wrong. Let's try that again from the top, this time with truth:

"Greed, disregard for Americans and lax law enforcement are the key reasons agriculture continues to rely on illegal workers."

Cranky Bastard

Yep. "Labor-intensive" is just a cliche excuse. I know plenty of hard-working Americans who put out more physical effort than some wetback picking lettuce.

Cranky Bastard

El Rod d'Irico said:

From that link:

Americans shun pretty much any unskilled labor that requires them to get their hands dirty: landscaping, entry-level construction, picking fruits and vegetables (Reuters reports that "up to 70 percent of U.S. farm workers are estimated to be undocumented, totaling about 500,000 people"), cleaning hotel rooms, busing tables, and prep cooking in urban restaurants.

70%? What are the other 30%? :gagh:

I swear, the logic of some idiots escapes me.

I know Americans that fill all of those listed as something Americans supposedly won't do. Maybe journalists and movie stars won't do them, but is everyone a celebrity or one of the brown-nosers that follow them around?

Case closed.

Tyrant

El Rod d'Irico said:

Americans shun pretty much any unskilled labor that requires them to get their hands dirty: landscaping, entry-level construction, picking fruits and vegetables (Reuters reports that "up to 70 percent of U.S. farm workers are estimated to be undocumented, totaling about 500,000 people"), cleaning hotel rooms, busing tables, and prep cooking in urban restaurants.

So we're to infer that they don't work in those sectors, because they don't like getting their hands dirty, with no mention as to the fact that illegals will take any job at any price they can get?

:gagh:

Americans, we are told, do not want to clean toilet bowls, or do hard labor of any sort, and this is why the illegal immigrants are taking our jobs. This is of course a total lie. Americans do not have a problem getting their hands dirty -- they do however dislike being exploited.

http://www.unknownnews.org/060328a-byLeonF.html

The Question

Eternal
But the refusal to do jobs is moving up the value chain. American workers appear to be less interested in some kinds of factory jobs. The Washington Post, for example, recently reported that Georgia's carpet factories are increasingly dominated by Mexican immigrant workers.

Right. This is like saying that the Allies won World War 2 because the Axis refused to win. These aren't jobs Americans won't do -- these are jobs Americans can't get hired to do because they're already taken by illegals.

A_Real_Prick666

The Question said:
Right. This is like saying that the Allies won World War 2 because the Axis refused to win. These aren't jobs Americans won't do -- these are jobs Americans can't get hired to do because they're already taken by illegals.

Georgia carpet factories have most likely lowered their costs by reducing wages to illegal alien standards. So who the fuck wants to work for that?

The Question

Eternal
^^I doubt it's even a question of "wants to". If an employer is under the impression that it has a choice between paying 100 people legal wages or paying illegal labor next to nothing... that isn't exactly hard math to do. As long as employers and illegal aliens get away with breaking the law, Americans will not get an even break.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
It's even worse in my demography. We're a 99% white state, except in the hotels, where it's 60-75% black/mixed to white.

Tyrant

I know you've spoken strongly about your own opinions regarding this, Jack, but I think all parties have the same problem with the situation and approach it from different angles.

You sympathize with your co-workers, who aren't Americans and have no choice by to take a job like cleaning toilets. I sympathize with the American who should work for a decent wage doing the same job.

The only winner in the situation is the employer. People like to talk about the economy being boosted by a cheap labor force but what it really means is that employers get to keep more in their pockets and give less back to the economy, which would be the case if the workers were given standard wages.

Throwing destitute people into the mix who aren't citizens creates a gold mine for corrupt corporations. I shouldn't say corrupt, because they are acting in a perfect capitalist sense. The only problem is that there are no boundaries to contain their greed, the levels they stoop to. Which is why when people as ignorant about the situation, like Elrod or Hambil, talk about it as being a simple case of 'racism' and 'laziness' on part of the American worker is when some people can get irritated with their myopic cop-out.

Cranky Bastard

When illegals take the last job, how are you gonna hire them to clean your toilet?