Mad Men 6x10 - 'A Tale of Two Cities'

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
DRUGS ARE BAD, MMKAY.

DON AND ROGER STILL DON'T GET HOW THESE HIPPIE KIDS OPERATE.

BOB REALLY BELIEVES HIS OWN BS!

WHO KNEW JOAN'S A PLAYA! PEGGY'S JEALOUS-HAPPY-JEALOUS! BUT WILL AVON CALL?? TUNE IN NEXT WEEK!

This was a strange, crazy, WTF hour...some of it in a really good way, and some of it in a "that's a little too contrived" way. John Slattery directed, and I don't think it's his best episode. Maybe it's because he usually doesn't act quite so much in other episodes he directs -- it has to be hard to do double-duty.

Ginsberg having a psychotic meltdown, only for Bob to fly in and save the day with his "win one for the Gipper" shtick -- Mad Men scenes aren't usually this one-dimensional. Sure there are other questions -- is Ginsberg truly cracking up, is Bob wound so tight that he's destined to explode, etc. But usually there seems to be more going on in any given minute. I don't know if it was the writing or the directing, but something wasn't perfect there.

Same with Joan & Peggy's fight in the lobby. It's funny that Harry Hamlin is hanging around the place now, because I keep drawing similarities to "LA Law" in some of the storytelling this season. The argument they had -- if there was something wrong, I think it was the writing this time. "This is how my charactger feels right now!" "Well this is what MY character is going through right now!" It was a little too presentational and on-the-nose for me. I loved the story idea -- Joan finds other ways to prove her worth as a partner and force people to respect her -- but the execution did seem a little 90's LA Law to me.

HEY LOOK, DON STILL DOESN'T FIT IN TO 1968! I STILL WASN'T SURE ON THAT POINT! At least there were fewer "MEGAN'S GONNA GET STRUNG UP ON A MEAT HOOK" references this week.

I dunno...maybe I'll watch this a few more times and see all kinds of things I'm not seeing yet.

In any case, Bob's getting shipped off to Detroit, to be invisible like Ken. Wonder how that will pan out...

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
Did I miss Pete's receding hairline last week? That's INSANE

I agree, Eggs. This episode was a mess. I've never thought Joan ever really looked bloated, but she's not looking good. Is Christina pregnant in real life?

Peggy looks great, and I knew no matter how much of a fight she and Joan got into, I think she understands what Joan was trying to do, and FEMINISM WINS OUT

I'm so tired of Don. I really am.

Tisiphone

Don is like House to me. I stopped watching House because I got sick of his attitude. I want my characters to change and grow (maybe I'm naive) but it's the same old shit with him every week.

OOOH LOOK A PRETTY GIRL I GOTTA GO FUCK HER OOOHH LOOK I DON'T REALLY DO ANY WORK AND THE WORK I DO DO I HATE

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
The funny thing is, he does seem to be trying to reconnect with Megan now that Betty Spaghetti dumped him for good. But, this could just be him using her as a another distraction from all the crap he's facing at work. Who knows. But I think Weiner has made the point to excess that Don's clueless and due for a huge downfall. Just bring it already.

They did handle the scheming between Ted & Jim pretty well. They have the SCDP guys believing that they are being totally gracious, when they're actually quietly enabling each of them to self-destruct before shoving them out the door. But again, this is very Roz Shays/season 4-5 LA Law to me. DAMN YOU HARRY HAMLIN!

Now they just need to bring back Amanda Donohoe as Lesbian Seductress #17 to complete the transition.

Tisiphone

YES BRING IN THE LAIR OF THE WHITE WORM LESBIAN

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
This week's gif: Danny punching Roger.

Megan looked ridiculously hot as a hippie chick!

I'm sure you've all read the "Megan will die like Sharon Tate" theories online but I hope not (and they're hinting at it so much now that it would be too obvious.)

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
TLo (the ultimate word on anything Mad Men, especially what they wear) have been thinking for a long time that Ginsberg might be schizophrenic, and the things he was babbling this week were pretty dark (death...voices...doom). They're thinking if anyone's gonna blow it would be him.

CaptainWacky

I could see him going schizo, but turning any of the characters into a crazy killer would be too over the top for Mad Men, I would think (and hope!?)!

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
It's 1968 man, like, it fucks people UP man, y'know, like wow, right?

Tisiphone

That scene was over the top. IMO

CaptainWacky

I thought Don's drug trip was a bit too much of a conventional tv drug trip and not what someone as drugs would actually be like (not that I've ever done drugs.) Roger's LSD trip a few seasons ago was much more convincing.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Agree -- was it just a hash trip (which isn't so much about hallucinating really), or was it what he "dreamt" while unconscious in the pool, or what? Something was off about the writing on this one.

Tisiphone

Yeah, I never hallucinate on the hashish, so I assumed he was dreaming while drowning in the pool.

Ishcabittle

i hallucinated on some whicked hash brownies once, but i also was on shrooms and lsd hangover at the time, so who knows. let's presume for a moment that don's "drug trip" was a vision brought on by a near death experience while he was oxygen deprived in the pool. did he also dream the hash pipe? how much was real, baby? how much?

CaptainWacky

No.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts

Tisiphone

OH NOES

SAUSAGEMAN

Remember when we were all "GILES is WEARING NOTHING BUT TURTLENECKS this season because he's trying to hide the scar from the time he WAS BEHEADED. HE IS THE FIRST."

Tisiphone

9364.imgcache.gif