Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Messenger.

Messenger said:
I'm not saying there isn't, I'm saying that most of the belief stems for a psychological need for it.

I can agree to a point. People want to feel like their life has meaning and they're here for a reason. If they didn't feel that way...what's the point of living?

I wonder which is stronger...the will to survive or the desire to apply meaning to life?

(and for the record I didn't mean for it to be *that* serious otherwise I would have started it somewhere else....my question was somewhat tongue-in-cheek ;))

S. SaDiablo said:
I can agree to a point. People want to feel like their life has meaning and they're here for a reason. If they didn't feel that way...what's the point of living?
A promise of eternal paradise, or nationalism, or global harmony. The latter are stopgap solutions in the minds of those who don't really wish to contemplate things further. This doesn't say anything bad about them, because they might have decided that such contemplation is pointless in itself.

I wonder which is stronger...the will to survive or the desire to apply meaning to life?
In times past, when civilization meant something, people didn't wonder about these things and rightfully so, because I'm of the opinion that it's a pointless endeavor in itself, because any realization we come to will either reinforce a progressive humanity, or cause people to deviate from it.

Look at the concept of paradise. Why can't we just all commit mass suicide and live happily ever after in it? If the paradise is meant to be eternal then our life here or suicide should have no bearing on it.

Physical immortality should be the ultimate goal. That's a made-up meaning in life I can stand behind.

S. SaDiablo said:

The will to survive.

It is not until safety is assumed and someone is assured they will be surviving that they begin filling their time with esoteric pursuits like looking for the meaning of life outside of survival.

And you can be sure once that saftey is threatened those pursuits will be set aside once more to see to the tasks of survival.

Tamar_Garish said:
The will to survive.

It is not until safety is assumed and someone is assured they will be surviving that they begin filling their time with esoteric pursuits like looking for the meaning of life outside of survival.

And you can be sure once that saftey is threatened those pursuits will be set aside once more to see to the tasks of survival.

But again, I raise the question: if people thought life is meaningless would they even want to live?

Tamar_Garish said:
Like building Stonehedge, worshipping gods, and wondering about the meaning of life.

Messenger said:
Look at the concept of paradise. Why can't we just all commit mass suicide and live happily ever after in it? If the paradise is meant to be eternal then our life here or suicide should have no bearing on it.

Physical immortality should be the ultimate goal. That's a made-up meaning in life I can stand behind.

I've never thought of that... Interesting.

S. SaDiablo said:
But again, I raise the question: if people thought life is meaningless would they even want to live?

Life will never be meaningless because people will always assign meaning to it when they aren't on the neverending quest for the next meal.

I think if someone got to the point where they truly belived life was meaningless they would do one of two things...kill themselves or go completely wild doing whatever the hell they want, whenever they want because...why not?