Mini Con Report

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Today was the London Film and Comic Con, an annual event that I've attended the last few years.

Some things:

Brent Spiner makes the exact same kind of jokes in real life as he does on Twitter, only he doesn't come off looking like an arsehole because he has time to say "lol, only kidding" at the end.

His impression of Patrick Stewart isn't quite as accurate as he thinks, but it's fuckin hilarious either way. I was really won over (after Twitter and Nemesis made me dislike him slightly).

Oh and he's only seen Generations once; at the premier.

Mark Sheppard is really, really nice. He's also a bit of a wisearse, but he seems to be really appreciative of the many scifi shows he's been in and considers himself a fan, rather than just seeing them as jobs.

I was a bit worried when he criticised the "crap acting" in the original BSG, as Richard Hatch (original BSG Apollo) was still in the building.

Also, he asked if any of the three people who'd seen Dollhouse might be in the audience. One was!

Karen Gillan went for the "can't tell if she's a robot or just wearing a lot of foundation" look. Hot (and one guy shouted out that he was going to have a wank over her in the loo as he was shooed away), but in that way where you'd be worried what the hell's being covered up.

Sylvester McCoy (the 7th Doctor) and Sophie Aldred were charming, and did a little thing at the end where they left the room drifting off in conversation, rather than saying goodbye, which Tomtrek can probably confirm they do at every convention. It was cute.

Walter Koenig was delayed by about ten minutes and appeared a bit frail at first, but seemed to become more youthful as his talk went on and he answered more fan questions. Seemed really disillusioned, though. When asked what role he'd like to play next, he said "anything breathing". He's currently working on a graphic novel about vampires... :S: Called "Things to Come". :S::S:

Oh and there were some Harry Potter stars but I don't know anything about those films. There was the Irish Wayne Rooney guy, the one that used to be fat, a really beefy dude, token black guy, Lady Gaga and a really pretty girl I've never seen before.

I'll post pics soon.

Dr Dave

pillzlol
I have issues with Spiner over his support of Data being killed off.

I don't blame him for only seeing Generations once, as it's not a very good movie.

If I were an actor I probably would not watch my own stuff, it would be a bit weird seeing ones self on screen being somebody else.

Did you get Brent Spiner pix?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yeah, I got quite a few pics. When he realised how many people were taking photos he started doing loads of silly poses. :)

When someone asked if he'd play Data again he said "look at me, I look more like Dr Soong!". Killing Data off in the way they did was dumb and forgettable, but he is right that he couldn't keep playing the character for too much longer, unless there was a line about Data switching on the aging program so he could fit in more with his human friends or something.

Dr Dave

pillzlol
But that reason for killing him off is kinda lame.

You don't want to play Data again, fine then don't play him again. It's not like anybody could force him to do so.

He basically made it so nobody could reasonably use Data in books and other materials.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
(and one guy shouted out that he was going to have a wank over her in the loo as he was shooed away)

Yeah, sorry we didn't get a chance to meet up, I just couldn't resist...

FIND OUT WHO THE REALLY PRETTY GIRL WAS AND REPORT BACK.

CaptainWacky

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I'll do it later. ;)

I did some googling about the Potter girl with the smile and couldn't seem to find her, but maybe she was one of the ones I saw on there who just looks a lot nicer in real life.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
1623.imgcache.jpg

Pretty Potter girl on the far left. She had a nice smile.

1624.imgcache.jpg

Wayne Rooney. Much shorter than I expected.

1625.imgcache.jpg

"The Monkees weren't about music, Marge, they were about freakish cars!"

1626.imgcache.jpg

Mark Shepperd. I went to his talk on a whim and really enjoyed it. He's very friendly, but doesn't give a shit what he says. Told everyone to download as much American programming as they liked, because the studios don't care, slated the acting in the original BSG while Richard Hatch was in the building and took the piss out of Dollhouse's ratings. He also said how glad he was that his Dr Who character was a realistic gay person instead of a camp stereotype or the dumb kind of crap RTD would write.

1627.imgcache.jpg

Waaaaalllttttt! Seemed really shaky and frail at first, but got into the swing of things after a while. Said he wished the TOS cast had been as unified as TNGs and said how much he enjoyed Anton Yelchin as Chekov. Someone asked the favourite character he'd played and he said Bester from B5, which I thought was quite honest of him considering most people in the audience were probably Trek fans expecting him to say Chekov.

1628.imgcache.jpg

The guy who does the voice was there too and they did some demonstrations of K-9 being remote controlled.

1629.imgcache.jpg

"I've met all the other guests here today and I'm definitely the most entertaining." And he was right, too. Can't fault him. From his Twitter I expected him to be really self absorbed, but even when someone mentioned his Youtube tv show Fresh Hell he was modest and assumed no one had heard of it, and was just like "yeah, check it out if you like". He didn't lay it on like some people do.

1630.imgcache.jpg

Karen Gillan in the flesh/makeup. I basically staked out the stage entrance when I knew she'd be around soon, so I had a good long gawp at her (which is when the guy said he was going to have a wank over her), but didn't want to look like a proper weirdo by taking photos just then. The actual talk was one you had to pay for, so I didn't attend. I just took this pic on the sly from the back of the hall as I was leaving. They really tried to hide her away all day, which was a pity for the little kids that had come to see Amy Pond. Still, there were plenty of hot girls dressed up as her.

CaptainWacky

Good nerd reportigating.

Pretty Potter girl on the far left. She had a nice smile.

I don't who she is. Probably one of the minor characters who gets one line and waves her wand in the background. I recognise Natalia Tean's outrageous hat though.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
What IS with the outfit anyway?

Looks like I was ogling over Georgina Leonidas, who (relief) was born in 1990, even though most of the pics on Google make her look 12 years old.

1642.imgcache.jpg

CaptainWacky

Ah yes, Katie Bell, that KEY CHARACTER.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
This is great stuff. You be one lucky boyo, arrrrrr.

I can understand Walter Koenig being a little beyond it all, what with Trek being so far off the radar for him now, and losing his son.

Brent Spiner has this amazing skill for turning the fans back around to rooting for him, no matter what he says or does. Did he sell his soul to a dark deity?

Devon Murray (Seamus) -- he's that dirty Irish boy I want to bugger in a back alley. Yeah...

Oh was that out loud?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I imagine there was a shock on set in one of the films when he took his shirt off and had suddenly grown tons of chest hair. His height makes it look like he's still growing. Seemed really friendly (for some reason I imagined him to be a bit stand-offish), so I definitely would've said hello if I was a Potter fan.

While waiting for Walter Koenig's talk to start I wondered if there'd be any insensitive questions about his son (there's always at least one insensitive or downright stupid question asked - when she saw him the woman next to me gasped "oh, he looks so oooolllld!". Jesus Christ, of course he looks old you idiot.), but by the time he came on stage I'd forgotten about his son's death. Taking that into consideration, he seemed quite upbeat. He was just a bit tetchy about his work prospects and being asked what his favourite episode was from two seasons of a show he shot back in the late '60s, playing a character who was never really fleshed out.

The only thing that made me hesitant about Brent Spiner was that he kept asking if everyone could hear him properly, which I started to think might be because he wasn't getting quite the amount of laughs as he was expecting. Everybody could hear him fine.

CaptainWacky

Did he tell the "you're a droid and I'm ANNOYED" joke?