Mississippi Department of Human Services sues Brett Favre, others over welfare misspending

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING

Brett Favre's lawyer, Pat McAfee trade taunts after lawsuit

Former Packers QB Brett Favre and former Colts punter turned podcast host Pat McAfee continue to ramp up for what appears to be an upcoming legal battle. Favre has filed defamation lawsuits against McAfee, Shannon Sharpe and Mississippi State Auditor Shad White for their comments regarding Favre’s alleged involvement in a Mississippi welfare fraud case. We haven’t heard from Sharpe, but McAfee addressed the lawsuit on his show. “I would like to let the New York lawyersー they wrote me two letters before this thing got announcedー first letter was, ‘we would like you to go back and erase every single video that has Brett Favre’s name mentioned in it from your YouTube library, your Twitter library, and everything else.’ This is a warning shot pretty much. So I looked at that and said, ‘That is hilarious.’ Of course we’re not doing that. Put that down and moved on with my life. “A lot of my people are wondering how my lawyers are going to handle this. You know it, I ain’t got ‘em. So let’s ride this f—r. I’m excited. Let’s see how it goes. I’ll see you in court, pal.”

Click Here For Full Story

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING

Bishop Talbert Swan II says he’s unbowed by Brett Favre’s legal threat

The pastor of the Spring of Hope Church of God in Christ says he is unfazed by threat of legal action by former NFL quarterback Brett Favre, who is
counterattacking those who link him to a Mississippi welfare fraud scandal. “I’ve commented on the welfare fraud scandal and his involvement. They’ve apparently taken exception,” said Bishop Talbert Swan II, who serves not only his church but is president of the Greater Springfield NAACP. The letter to Swan came from attorney Daniel Benson of the New York-based Kasowitz Benson Torres LLP, a firm whose clients include former President Donald Trump, Robert De Niro, Mia Farrow and Enron. “We have been retained by Brett L. Favre to investigate potential legal claims against you arising from certain public statements you have made about Mr. Favre,” according to a January letter that Benson sent to Swan.The letter continued with a demand that Swan not “destroy, conceal alter or otherwise spoliate any and all documents” in Swan’s control, “that refer or relate in any way to any of (Swan’s) public comments about Mr. Favre” since May 4, 2020.

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING

Legal expert Dan Lust: Brett Favre faces a ‘very high burden’ in defamation lawsuits vs. Pat McAfee and Shannon Sharpe

Alot is going on between sports media personalities and the law. Awful Announcing decided to talk to an expert. Dan Lust is a sports attorney and law professor at New York Law School and Fordham University School of Law. He also co-hosts the Conduct Detrimental podcast with fellow lawyer Daniel Wallach.

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING

Pat McAfee has been ‘officially served’ in Brett Favre lawsuit

Pat McAfee has been officially sued by Brett Favre, he revealed Monday on the latest episode of “The Pat McAfee Show.” He opened his three-hour show by announcing that he had been officially served, noting that he received notice less than a day after arriving home in Indiana following a trip to Hawaii. He went to sleep Saturday night, and a woman presented him with the news Sunday morning with a knock at his door. “’I am so sorry,’” McAfee recalled the woman saying. “‘I am a fan of the show. I just work for a company that was hired. These are for you.’”

Brett Favre had reportedly filed lawsuits against Pat McAfee, Shannon Sharpe and Mississippi state auditor Shad White.Getty Images
“I’m getting sued by Brett Favre,” McAfee said on the Feb. 10 episode of his show. “I’m getting sued alongside Shannon Sharpe and an auditor from Mississippi by Brett f–king Favre. Brett Favre’s suing me in a defamation lawsuit, saying I defamed his name to try to earn a profit.”

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING

Bishop Talbert Swan II says he’s unbowed by Brett Favre’s legal threat

The pastor of the Spring of Hope Church of God in Christ says he is unfazed by threat of legal action by former NFL quarterback Brett Favre, who is
counterattacking those who link him to a Mississippi welfare fraud scandal. “I’ve commented on the welfare fraud scandal and his involvement. They’ve apparently taken exception,” said Bishop Talbert Swan II, who serves not only his church but is president of the Greater Springfield NAACP. The letter to Swan came from attorney Daniel Benson of the New York-based Kasowitz Benson Torres LLP, a firm whose clients include former President Donald Trump, Robert De Niro, Mia Farrow and Enron. “We have been retained by Brett L. Favre to investigate potential legal claims against you arising from certain public statements you have made about Mr. Favre,” according to a January letter that Benson sent to Swan.The letter continued with a demand that Swan not “destroy, conceal alter or otherwise spoliate any and all documents” in Swan’s control, “that refer or relate in any way to any of (Swan’s) public comments about Mr. Favre” since May 4, 2020.

Legal expert Dan Lust: Brett Favre faces a ‘very high burden’ in defamation lawsuits vs. Pat McAfee and Shannon Sharpe

Alot is going on between sports media personalities and the law. Awful Announcing decided to talk to an expert. Dan Lust is a sports attorney and law professor at New York Law School and Fordham University School of Law. He also co-hosts the Conduct Detrimental podcast with fellow lawyer Daniel Wallach.

Pat McAfee has been ‘officially served’ in Brett Favre lawsuit

Pat McAfee has been officially sued by Brett Favre, he revealed Monday on the latest episode of “The Pat McAfee Show.” He opened his three-hour show by announcing that he had been officially served, noting that he received notice less than a day after arriving home in Indiana following a trip to Hawaii. He went to sleep Saturday night, and a woman presented him with the news Sunday morning with a knock at his door. “’I am so sorry,’” McAfee recalled the woman saying. “‘I am a fan of the show. I just work for a company that was hired. These are for you.’”

Brett Favre had reportedly filed lawsuits against Pat McAfee, Shannon Sharpe and Mississippi state auditor Shad White.Getty Images
“I’m getting sued by Brett Favre,” McAfee said on the Feb. 10 episode of his show. “I’m getting sued alongside Shannon Sharpe and an auditor from Mississippi by Brett f–king Favre. Brett Favre’s suing me in a defamation lawsuit, saying I defamed his name to try to earn a profit.”

Brett Favre's lawyer views case against McAfee as 'slam dunk'

A lawyer for retired quarterback Brett Favre certainly isn't lacking confidence when it comes to his client's the much-publicized lawsuit filed against media personality Pat McAfee. "We think it’s a slam dunk," attorney Eric Herschmann said during an appearance on 'The Daily Wire'’s "Crain & Company" program. "(Fox Sports') Shannon Sharpe — since he’s been sued — has been quiet. Pat McAfee keeps talking about it and in all of my years as an attorney and being a prosecutor previously, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a defendant build a case against themselves." It was reported in early February that Favre had filed defamation lawsuits against McAfee, Sharpe and Mississippi state auditor Shad White over statements made about Favre's alleged involvement in a welfare scandal and the construction of a volleyball complex at the University of Southern Mississippi. Favre played football at the university, and his daughter featured for the school's volleyball program.

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING

Favre must remain in Mississippi welfare lawsuit, state argues

A judge should ignore a request from retired NFL quarterback Brett Favre to be removed from a civil lawsuit that seeks to recover misspent welfare money in Mississippi’s largest-ever public corruption case, the state Department of Human Services said this week. Millions of federal welfare dollars were intended to help low-income Mississippi residents – some of the poorest people in the country – but were instead squandered on projects supported by wealthy or well-connected people, including projects backed by Farve, prosecutors say.

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING

Mississippi auditor pushes back against Brett Favre

Often lost in the fact that Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre sued broadcasters Pat McAfee and Shannon Sharpe for defamation is that Mississippi auditor Shad White also has been accused of telling lies about Favre’s role in the state’ welfare-fund scandal. White is now pushing back publicly against Favre. Favre also asked, per the filing, about a potential solution to “the brick and mortar issue,” which the state characterizes as Favre knowing that welfare funds couldn’t be used for actual construction of buildings, “but he sought to secretly obtain those funds for that purpose anyway.”

Synaesthesia

fat-girl-dancing.gif

fat-girl-dancing.gif

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING

Brett Favre’s Lawsuits Against McAfee, Sharpe Head to Federal Court

Brett Favre’s defamation lawsuits against fellow retired NFL players Pat McAfee and Shannon Sharpe have moved from a Lamar County (Miss.) circuit to a federal district court in Mississippi. The moves impact who serves as jury and judge, and they could bolster McAfee’s and Sharpe’s defenses. Last week McAfee and Sharpe “removed” (transferred) the lawsuits to the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi. Removal is permissible when—as here—the parties are from different states and the amount in controversy is greater than $75,000. Favre is a resident of Mississippi, while McAfee and Sharpe reside in Indiana and California, respectively. Sharpe allegedly defamed Favre on a Fox Sports show by saying, “Brett Favre is taking from the underserved” and “[Favre] stole money from people that really needed that money.” Favre insists these statements are false and damaging to his reputation.

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING

Pat McAfee files motion to dismiss Brett Favre’s defamation case

The battle officially has been joined. In the lawsuit filed against Pat McAfee by Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre, McAfee has filed a motion to
dismiss the case. The 25-page memorandum in support of the motion to dismiss makes arguments both substantive and procedural. Four reasons are given for dismissal — Favre’s complaint cites no false statement of fact made by McAfee, Favre’s complaint does not allege that McAfee engaged in an “unprivileged publication” of false facts, Favre fails to properly allege that McAfee acted with “actual malice” (the key to proving defamation of a public figure), and Favre did not give McAfee 10 days’ notice before suing, as required by Mississippi law.