More on reality shows...

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Weird. This is like the third time I've started a thread on reality shows and I can't find any of the others. :calli:

But I digress... I was just going to say, I love "Gene Simmons' Family Jewels". I'd say more, but I just realized I need some sleep. Maybe I'll expound on this show if this thread doesn't disappear on me.

And my other observation is that "Mythbusters" is much more enjoyable if you imagine Jamie and Adam, and Grant and Tory as gay couples--and Kari is a frustrated, horny heterosexual, who isn't getting any action while the rest of the cast is buggering each other. Ah, Kari, my petite geek flower, I can give you what you so desperately want...

...I've said too much, haven't I? :calli:

Anna

missmanners' favorite toy
And my other observation is that "Mythbusters" is much more enjoyable if you imagine Jamie and Adam, and Grant and Tory as gay couples--and Kari is a frustrated, horny heterosexual, who isn't getting any action while the rest of the cast is buggering each other. Ah, Kari, my petite geek flower, I can give you what you so desperately want...
Fanfiction, much? ;)

Meh, I don't watch much TV anymore. I keep up with my soaps, but that's more out of habit than anything else. That and Carlos Mencia (Yes, unfunny beaner, blah blah, I know :p). Haven't had a fave reality TV show since the third season of Survivor.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
DoubleTree Hotels was featured prominently on "Gene Simmons: Family Jewels" tonight.

Gene was in New York City(?) for an episode of MTV TRL, scheduled to show up in his Demon costume and the bellhop stole it. So Gene ate the assistant manager's ass. The assistant manager then ran around the hotel frantically for an hour or more, trying to track down the costume. Ultimately he found the kitchen staff, dressing up in it and horsing around.

Granted, this is reality television, so it is questionable just how "real" it all is, but I had an absolutely awful experience at the DoubleTree in DC a few months back, so I absolutely believe it and think the chain deserves any bad press it gets, so it was nice to see them featured so prominently. :diacanu:

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Who Wants to be a Superhero???

OK. So I'm watching Stan Lee's "Who Wants to be a Superhero" and I have about three different things going through my head. First off I'm thinking "you know, on the scale of crazy cos-play type tendencies I might have, I'm still relatively normal." Then I'm thinking "there, but for the grace of God..." then, I'm thinking, "you know, the tasks for this show are really hokey--even by Stan Lee Marvel standards." Finally I'm thinking how much fun it would be to audition as...oh, I don't know--Captain America. Or better still--The Batman. :D

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Ooh. Other guilty pleasure--them realty "flipping" shows--HA! Realty reality TV!

Anywho, a guy buys a junky old house, fixes it up, and sells it for a substantial profit.

At least most of the time. Last night they had on the Donner Party of flipping shows. Granted, they can do a lot with editing to make a person look bad or good, but it was obvious from the start that this guy had no idea what he was doing.

He bought a place for something like $86k, was going to only put $15k into it, finish the job in a month, and sell it for $180k. Never mind that the guy had never done anything like this before. He figured his job in IT more than qualified him to remodel a house. Besides, he'd looked at some real estate magazines and watched "flipping" shows on TV. :gagh:

So he comes in, tells his wife that he's quit his job to do this--doesn't discuss it with his wife, mind you, he tells her after the fact.

What else? Oh, so he's got this place. Nice little 1950s brick home that he paid a fair price for. But he's thinking he'll be able to get more than what a couple McMansions across the street are on the market for. And they've been on the market for quite some time. And he thinks he's going to put in all new cabinets in the kitchen and remodel the attic to add a second bathroom--on a $15k budget with a four week timeframe! :lol:

And it only goes downhill from there. Of course because he's trying to do things on the cheap, he's getting crappy contractors. Then he somehow decides that the contractors will do better work if he isn't there to "bother them". So most of the time no one is working on the place. And when someone is there, they are doing crappy work. He went through, like four plumbers on the project, failed plumbing inspections 2-3 times, failed a heating inspection and wound up taking 3 months and $25k to get the job done.

OOO! I almost forgot! The BEST part was when he'd missed a couple of his deadlines, was over budget, and hadn't passed inspection on his plumbing yet--and was blaming everything on his contractors--he hit on a couple more bright ideas--he'd let his unemployed neighbor do his drywalling (that actually worked out pretty well. More on that later.)

But here's the kicker: He tells the camera that all the commuting to the job site isn't very productive, so he's going to try something new. At this point I'm thinking OK--he's going to move in there and stay there to get things back on track. But noooooo. HIS solution is "I'm just going to not go there anymore. I'm not going to supervise things at all." :bang: :rolleyes:

It was HI-larious. Ultimately when he finished the job he didn't have any offers on the place and months went by. Finally he wound up renting the place. :lol: g