jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
375.imgcache.jpg
© Fox Searchlight Pictures
"Black Swan"

'Black Swan' bosses respond to Portman dance double claims
March 28, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
WENN
Executives at Fox Searchlight have issued a statement addressing the growing criticisms of Natalie Portman's Oscar-winning role in "Black Swan."
Bing: Natalie Portman videos, news and more
The star snagged the Best Actress Academy Award last month for her turn as unstable dancer Nina in the film, but has since faced claims that a dance double was used for most of the complicated ballet scenes.
Fox Searchlight issued a statement addressing the criticism. It reads, "We were fortunate to have Sarah there to cover the more complicated dance sequences and we have nothing but praise for the hard work she did. However, Natalie herself did most of the dancing featured in the final film."
More: Fiancé defends Portman over dance criticism
Portman's stand-in, American Ballet Theatre dancer Sarah Lane, fuelled the speculation telling Entertainment Weekly, "Of the full body shots, I would say five percent are Natalie. ... I do want people to know that you cannot absolutely become a professional ballet dancer in a year and a half no matter how hard you work. I've been doing this for 22 years."
Portman herself has yet to comment on the controversy.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Next it'll turn out that a legion of "stunt actors" replace the big star names for dangerous scenes!

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Darren Aronofsky, the director of Black Sawn, gives the actual numbers.

“Here is the reality. I had my editor count shots. There are 139 dance shots in the film. 111 are Natalie Portman untouched. 28 are her dance double Sarah Lane. If you do the math that’s 80% Natalie Portman. What about duration? The shots that feature the double are wide shots and rarely play for longer than one second. There are two complicated longer dance sequences that we used face replacement. Even so, if we were judging by time over 90% would be Natalie Portman.

And to be clear Natalie did dance on pointe in pointe shoes. If you look at the final shot of the opening prologue, which lasts 85 seconds, and was danced completely by Natalie, she exits the scene on pointe. That is completely her without any digital magic. I am responding to this to put this to rest and to defend my actor. Natalie sweated long and hard to deliver a great physical and emotional performance. And I don’t want anyone to think that’s not her they are watching. It is.”

I don't think anyone ever actually claimed that Natalie did all the dancing since, you know, she's not a professional ballet dancer, it's just now that this Lane woman is whining to the media that idiots are saying "ZOMG NATALIE DIDN'T DANCE" when she actually did everything it was possible for her to do.

And she won the best ACTRESS oscar, not a dancing award.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
I know that. What I was struck with throughout the movie was that Natalie WASNT a ballet dancer, yet in the movie it appears that she's that and more, naturally.

I am so done by the bitterness, jealousy and spite, especially by her gifted double.

As far as her acting like a dancer, I was a choreographer and drummer all through college for the Johnson Dance Company and I worked with many. She sure copped that.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
I heard she was pretending all the way through, and tried to defend herself by saying she was "acting" I feel cheated.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
This is like the Flashdance scandal!!

whisky

Boobie inspector
Next they will be saying they dont use real bullets in the guns.

The crow excluded.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
ALL THOSE ACTORS WHO PLAYED HITLER WEREN'T REALLY NAZIS.

Tisiphone

All those actors who played the Hulk weren't really green either.

Tisiphone

Oh no, he's a Vulcan. But Chekov wasn't Russian.

Tisiphone

It pained me to reveal that to you. Forgive me.

Tisiphone

And those would be? LoL

Tisiphone

I mean, I know a couple of shots you might be able to see cleavage on my FB pics, but other than that...LoL.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I'm sorry, I think I am channeling Loktar.

I blame Tomtrek put down of my spelling in the Who thread.

Tisiphone

It's okay.