Nerd Trip Report

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
So this weekend I went to the MCM Expo in London, which is a code name for "giant nerdathon". It's always been the UK's biggest con, but this year it was... well, too big. Even in the giant venue it was a tight squeeze, and it got pretty frustrating after a while struggling to get through the crowds.

Last year we got stuck behind a giant cat, this year it was Tetris pieces and the Fonejacker. Lots of good costumes this year, including a few Na'vis which were all pretty well done. Y'know, there are certain girls who should never dress as a Na'vi, and luckily, they all seemed to have got the memo.

66322030390558001472.jpg

99172573600367806533.jpg

So first people we saw on the way in were the Stargate actors, Jamil Walker Smith (Greer) and my new favourite person Alaina Huffman (TJ), who for some reason didn't have anyone waiting in line for them. I guess no one had any SGU merchandise to get signed?

Anyway, after getting our bearings we went to the Q&A panels, where we spent a good part of the day. First up was John Noble, off of Fringe and LotR (Denethor). A very articulate and interesting man, and very comfortable up on stage. And doesn't mind putting his foot down and firmly telling whoever's controlling the spotlight to kindly switch it off. I had to cover my ears when he started giving away spoilers, but apparently that musical episode of Fringe was his idea.

94333916752537505166.jpg

We showed up late for the Merlin panel, not really being too bothered about it. Stood at the back of the hall admiring Katie McGrath and little Colin Morgan. Someone asked why there are so many homoerotic scenes between Merlin and Arthur in a kids show, but the question was ignored and the person was dragged out back and force choked. One day people are going to make a stand.

37287157290307232495.jpg

Katie McGrath and the other one.

Next up were some people behind the new Warhammer 40K film. They didn't know how to talk into microphones and the moderator's repeated attempts at getting them to speak properly failed, so God knows what they were saying most of the time. They showed a trailer, and the hall emptied. They carried on talking for another half hour and I picked up some interesting stuff about the CGI, BUT NONE OF THAT WAS IMPORTANT!

Because we were sitting there, in the front row, so we'd have good seats for RDM and Esai Morales. Who of course knew how to speak into microphones.

73379396836876947593.jpg

So yeah, I did find RDM a little dour. Maybe it was just because Esai Morales seems to be the nicest, friendliest, smiliest man ever and no one could ever compare and I want his babies, I don't know. But RDM just looked kind of like the whole thing was a bit of a drag and not worth his time. He did say some pretty interesting stuff, though. When asked about his favourite writer, he said he was most influenced by Hemingway, and he revealed that we'll definitely be seeing Gemenon in season 2, but he's not sure about the other colonies. Meanwhile, Esai Morales, who, as I say, was awesome, said that he'd been told specifically not to mimic EJO's Adama, so any similarities are coincidental. But he did do an impression of EJO telling him once that he was "in for a hell of a ride", raspy voice and all. :) The dude next to me asked if Baltar's dad would be turning up in Caprica, since he'd be alive in that timeframe. I thought it was a fair question, but RDM politely shot the idea down.

59250351344375288926.jpg

Next up were the Gaters, Jamil and Alaina. To describe them as exuberant would be a vast understatement. They were really energetic and fun. Greer (I guess I'll have to stop calling him "angry black guy" now?) kept swearing. "We look out dem windows and we don't see no space buuuullllshit." His manner of speech is very similar to the character, just that he's being hilarious instead of unhinged. Neither of them really gave any clues about the future of SGU, but they had lots to say about their co-stars and that sort of thing. For some reason, in every panel there's someone who wants to know "who the biggest practical joker is on set". I'm pretty sure that same question was asked in all the other panels as well. Anyway, apparently it's the guy who plays Young, who's really fun and doesn't constantly make atrocious decisions like his character does.

96723275700439640142.jpg

"And that's what you missed on Glee..."

Alaina later posted some vids and pics from the event and even commented on mine. :)

[YOUTUBE]yqBQt_IW19o[/YOUTUBE]

Other stuff. There was a wrestling ring. I don't know what the FWA is but they had some beefy men grappling with eachother. And there were these nice people drawing manga versions of people that were unrealistically hot.

44698281847887940919.jpg

Rest of my pics are on Facebook.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
That was the best thing I've ever read.

FWA is a British wrestling company. I guess they have a nerd crossover appeal.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Are there naked pics on facebook.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Cool pics, cant wait to check out the rest on faceb...

Oh well.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
Pretty groovy.

And Esai is aging like a fine wine. Mmmmmm...

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
He's "pushing 50" in his own words, and also about to become a daddy. :)

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
great job, Fuddle! Thanks for sharing this

:eek:k:

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
BEST NERD REPORT EVAR.