Netherlands, oh Netherlands :(

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
So once again stupid humans destroy another paradise:

Foreigners to be banned from visiting coffeeshops:
Dutch coffee shops will be closed to foreigners

tobacco to be banned from coffeeshops:
Dutch smoking ban: No tobacco in your joints, cafes ordered | World news | The Guardian

So, basically, the Dutch government plans to kill 60% of their tourism by restricting access to coffeeshops, and then they make their residents smoke pure joints instead of mild spliffs.

The insanity of this just boggles the mind. :doh:

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
Imagine California being progressive. We're so broke we can't afford to be ignoring any possible revenue stream.

I hope.

The Dutch are fucking morons.

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
As much as it hurts me to say it - yes, they are. At least those who think nothing of throwing away their liberal society and replace it with the same shitty bigotry the rest of Europe consists of.

This really concerns me, probably more than it should. BF and I went to Amsterdam pretty regularly for an extended weekend or so to just live the happy life there. I've always viewed that country as a possible refuge if Germany gets even more restrictive than it already is. TN has always been the most liberal country I've known, not only w/ regard to their drug policy. Oh well, so much for that.

We're so broke we can't afford to be ignoring any possible revenue stream.
He, that's why Amsterdam's mayor is one of the most prominent critics of the new law ;)
California here I come? (Yeah, as soon as you guys get rid of that fucking federal law vs. land law or whatever it is called....)

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
Yeah the fed shit is weird. I think the main idea is to save face with the older voting pop. I have a sneaking suspicion that will relax as the younger become the older. Funny thing states don't mind collecting taxes from medical marijuana sales. The official stance seems to be "You can't sell it, but you cant not pay taxes if you do". At least in California, medi-cal (welfare) doesn't pay for it. Seems weird since it's 'medical' marijuana.

Convoluted bullshit.

You didn't strike me as a smoker Ily. Cool. What's it like getting mm in Germany?

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
Let's say I used to be one. Nowadays it's just a drag here and there. I'm a really pathetic (ex) - tobacco addict, so I need to be cautious with all this inhalation business.

What's it like? It's fairly easy to get in almost any form, at least when you know a few locals. The law is pretty lax when it comes to possessing small amounts of it, you won't get more than a slap on the wrist, so it's a pretty common substance over here. At least, it was before that fucking Afghanistan war :rwmad: , no idea where ppl get their hashish these days.

Best thing is always the homegrown stuff, of course.

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
As for the marijuana policy - it seems to be as convoluted as it is over here. I have no idea why, but even the allure of additional taxes doesn't seem strong enough to at least legalize the consumption of weed for medical purposes. People have to buy standardized synthetic THC for a horrendous price, and they need a special clearance for that, to boot.
Of course, this comes from the same state that has no problem whatsoever to allow alcohol and tobacco, AND get millions of EUR out of it.

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
Part of the equation (I suspect) here is cost of enforcement/prosecution. I figure when it costs the state more to enforce the law and prosecute offenders then they're is able to make up for in seizures of cash and property, you'll begin to see movement toward decriminalization.

DEA teams with gear and vehicles and helicopter and guns and paychecks have to be pretty fucking expensive. Gotta seize a whole lot of cash and re-sell a hell of a lot of captured cronic to keep the lights on at the field office.

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
^spot on, probably... which, of course, does nothing to make me feel the slightest respect towards law making / enforcement. (But hey... what would, honestly?)

The insane thing over here is that the whole process of handling cannabis usage is so full of contradictions and half-assed decisions. The consumption, possession, blabla is illegal. OTOH, consumption and possession of (very) small amounts will not be prosecuted. (due, in fact, to the fact that the legal procedures are too expensive). WTF? Even the distinction between illegal and being prosecuted is fucking weak. Either it's legal... or it ain't.

What I just don't get in all of this is the uptightness when it comes to cannabis. I mean, I know the (conspiracy) theories why weed has been made illegal in the first place, but why is it still such a no-go today? It's a harmless drug, it really is. Everyone who ever had one diclophenac too much knows that it can make you pretty fucking high - and this shit is not only legal, but OTC, as well. Fuck, even my own mom is on medication that would make a drooling retard out of and possibly kill me - something almost no amount of weed would succeed in.

/rant

dogbert

King of Sarcasm
Maybe someone can ask Joker about this.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
He lives in Groningen, not Amsterdam.

Anyway, yeah, the truth of the matter is that this "war on drugs" is costing too much. Right now, the US Federal govt, by criminalizing Mj, is putting all that potential revenue into the hands of actual criminals. Instead of giving the private business owners a little leeway, Obama has actually raided dispensaries. For no reason than to rattle his saber. It's pathetic. If the us fed decriminalized Mj alone, and taxed its revenue as heavily as they do alcohol and tobacco companies, they'd bankrupt the cartels over night. Instead, we're forced to get our weed from shady people who drain taxes. What a counterintuitive process.

As for the govt paying for med Mj in the states it's legal, they threaten to cut off your healthcare if you test positive. Even if it was prescribed for a real reason. For example, the dept of veterans affairs (or just VA) told me they'd suspend my benefits (ie my monthly supplement income and health care) if I continued to use marijuana. Granted, it's not legalized in this state yet. However, it's the ONLY medication I can take for my nonsense that doesn't make me a full-blown retard when I take it. Also, their medication formulary is bad. They can't even prescribe the correct legal meds for me.

The system is very broken.

Illy, you were referring to federal vs states' rights. The tyrannical idea that a president can dictate or contradict a valid state law is what started our civil war. Yea, slavery is not weed, but the principle is the same.